DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Leaf regen vs Prius regen

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:34 am

gasmiser1 wrote:One note: I wish the regen was more powerful on steep downhills. Even with light braking I'd like more regen to slow the car down.
Were you rockin' ECO mode?
Last edited by evnow on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spit from "I beat epa range ...."
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14977
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 pm

have to agree with the regen statement. the Prius regens much more than the Leaf does. in fact, regen on the Prius in many driving situations can account for nearly 100% of any braking situation. the Leaf does not.

when you watch the energy meter u will notice that the level of regen only increases slightly when in eco mode.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:have to agree with the regen statement. the Prius regens much more than the Leaf does. in fact, regen on the Prius in many driving situations can account for nearly 100% of any braking situation. the Leaf does not.
I am curious how you came to this conclusion not that I am disagreeing with you. I have both a Leaf and a Prius myself and I am reluctant to come to the same conclusion if it is simply based on the display feed back that the Leaf and Prius gives to the driver.

I apologize for taking this off topic and further discussion about regen would be better served in one of the other many threads about regen.
Last edited by Spies on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14977
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Spies wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:have to agree with the regen statement. the Prius regens much more than the Leaf does. in fact, regen on the Prius in many driving situations can account for nearly 100% of any braking situation. the Leaf does not.
I am curious how you came to this conclusion not that I am disagreeing with you. I have both a Leaf and a Prius myself and I am reluctant to come to the same conclusion if it is simply based on the display feed back that the Leaf and Prius gives to the driver.
ummm dont quote me on this but i believe regen on 2010's go up to 80 kwh. my Leaf NEVER gets even half that much
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
gasmiser1
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Cambria, CA Central Coast of Calif.
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 am

DarkStar wrote:
gasmiser1 wrote:One note: I wish the regen was more powerful on steep downhills. Even with light braking I'd like more regen to slow the car down.
Were you rockin' ECO mode?
------------------------------------
Yup, ECO mode the entire route. The only time I've used drive is to pull out of the garage up the driveway hill to the street.
2nd leased 2014 Nissan LEAF, 2500 miles, leased 5/4/14
(1st Leaf, 3/29/11, leased until 5/4/14, 45,000 miles)
2014 Chevy Volt, 11,200 miles, leased 11/2013
Future Tesla Model S owner :-)
Central Coast EV Member
SF BayLEAF Member
Model S Member

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14977
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:12 am

Ok info from resident PriusChat stats expert.
Batt pack is 1.31 kwh with. 5 kwh usable. Defend up to 100 amps on 201 volt pack or about 20 kwh which is less than the Leaf max of 30?? Kwh but considering the huge size difference in battery packs I still have to say that the Leaf could be more aggressive with their regen
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Spies
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 am
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255
Location: Foster City, CA

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote: I still have to say that the Leaf could be more aggressive with their regen
I still don't know how much regeneration the Leaf can actually handle and it could be more or even less than the Prius.

What I do want to point out is just because one needs to put their foot on the break pedal does not mean the Leaf is actually applying the physical breaks but is indeed using regeneration breaking.

When one simply says "regen" they could be talking about different things such as how much drag the vehicle applies to the car when neither the accelerator pedal or brake pedal is applied by way of regenerative breaking. This of course can be changed somewhat by using eco mode in the Leaf and b mode in the Prius. Or perhaps they are talking about how much energy the vehicle can recover though regenerative breaking no matter what drive mode is selected and how much the break pedal is used.

So when you say "more aggressive with their regen" do you mean the Leaf should be able to recover more energy when regenerative breaking or do you want the Leaf to have more drag by way of regenerative breaking when neither pedal is pressed or perhaps something completely different?
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Ok info from resident PriusChat stats expert.
Batt pack is 1.31 kwh with. 5 kwh usable. Defend up to 100 amps on 201 volt pack or about 20 kwh which is less than the Leaf max of 30?? Kwh but considering the huge size difference in battery packs I still have to say that the Leaf could be more aggressive with their regen
So, Prius can charge the battery at 15C during regen ?

Anyway, when someone says Leaf should regen more - what does it mean ? Should Leaf slow down faster by capturing more power ... why ? A slow regen is likely more efficient than a faster regen.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14977
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf regen vs Prius regen

Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:54 pm

No nothing like that. I want more control over the level of regen. The Prius allows me that control by feathering the brakes. The Leaf only slightly increases regen when hitting brakes while in Eco mode. I want to see a higher level attained that way. As far as the Eco level of regen while coasting. That is fine but we should be able to go much farther.


As far as the Prius. At max regen we could fully charge in 90 seconds to cover SOC. From 40-80%.

Obviouly the level of regen does vary with speed
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
planet4ever
Posts: 4674
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:53 pm
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537
Location: Morgan Hill, CA, south of San Jose

Re: I Beat EPA's 73 Mile Range : Report your experience

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 pm

evnow wrote:A slow regen is likely more efficient than a faster regen.
Can you explain that statement? If I am slowing to a stop light or going down hill, and the regen is not heavy enough to do the job, I'm going to be using friction brakes. That efficiency is 0%. Yes, I can see that at a higher C rate there is going to be more loss getting the energy into the battery. But surely the heat generated charging the battery is going to be less than the heat generated at the brakes.

Put simply, heavier regen means less heat loss. Less heat loss means higher efficiency. No?

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “Engineering”