CANbus 0-60 time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Here's my first try at getting a 0-60 MPH time from the CANbus data.
I ran about eight tests. The runs from this section of road seem to be the most consistent.
Plotted here are two runs from the same section of road; traction control on/off.
I was thinking the TC off data would be a bit quicker but not in these first tests.
Really no difference that I can see. I think the little 'blip' at the early part of the plot is wheel skip from a road partition.
I may do a few more just to convince myself about the times. As always YMMV.

Just for amusement, I also have power curves from V * I data (2nd plot). Looks like I pulled almost 90kW peak, but it takes until almost 3000 RPMs to get to max power output. I am assuming this is data at the battery pack (pre conversion loss) but not sure. Data seems reasonable although my interpretation of CANbus Volts and Amps is still speculative. The plot shows max re-gen power of about 40 kW as I slowed down.

Speed vs power.

I have read reviews where people estimate the 0-60mph time as being around 9 seconds and then a reviewer that timed himself a few times at around 7 seconds. Not having my Leaf yet, I have test driven twice and both time I swear the car felt like it could pull of 60mph in the 7-8 second time-frame. Honestly felt faster than 9 seconds.

No, virtually every test I have seen in the various car magazines has pegged it in the high 9 second range... It just feels faster apparently...

EricBayArea said:
I have read reviews where people estimate the 0-60mph time as being around 9 seconds and then a reviewer that timed himself a few times at around 7 seconds. Not having my Leaf yet, I have test driven twice and both time I swear the car felt like it could pull of 60mph in the 7-8 second time-frame. Honestly felt faster than 9 seconds.

johnr said:
Thanks for the informative graphs. Quite interesting.

Why does the regen appear so erratic?
Dunno, but not sure what you mean. When not flat-out accelerating as in the first few secs, both power and re-gen sides seem to have about the same amount of modulation.

This is great data. I know a bunch of you guys are working on interpreting the data still but is three any plans to do ECU flashes to remap the throttle curve, increase regen, eliminate creep etc?

After 5,000 miles of driving I have realized that I want full regen on the throttle pedal. Tired of using the brakes to slow down. I also don't want creep anymore since I always put it in neutral at a stop light anyways. And it would fun to have the power ramp up quicker for those with stickier tires. If the juice could come on quicker at the bottom end you could easily shave a second off of the 0-60 times.

With a long and steady braking run you could work out the kwh/m number for the regen events.. then we would know efficient regen is in recovering energy.

We know regen is not 100% efficient but it would be nice to pin down the real number.

Sparky,
I am trying to get a good / proper scaling for Volts and Amps
for both the SOC=Meter and for CAN-Do to display on its "dashboard".

From 1DB:
1. Probably Battery Pack Amps: D1 followed by top 3 bits of D2
to make an 11-bit 2's compliment signed integer. Scale?
Perhaps divide by 2 to get amps?

2. Probably Battery Pack Volts: D3 followed by top 3 bits of D4
to make an 11-bit unsigned integer. Scale?
Perhaps divide by 4 to get volts?

From 1DA:
1. Probably Motor RPM: D5 followed by 8 bits of D6
to make a 16-bit 2's compliment signed integer.
No scaling, is Revolutions per minute.

2. Probably Motor Power (or Amps):Low 3 bits of D3 followed by 8 bits of D4
to make an 11-bit 2's compliment signed integer.
This appears to be motor power (or amps), what scaling?

Thanks, Gary ... Nice Work and graphs!!

I seem to recall both volts and amps being divide by 2.. Ie 0.5V and 0.5A resolution. I'm now buffering the amps and showing the average of the 25 samples every 1/4 sec which gives me the illusion of something closer to 0.1A resolution (putting my trust in the dither).

I've also noted the 85+ kw power on full speed acceleration.. Pretty cool as we'd been told the motor was only 80kw.

I don't really have data logging on my display so I'm graphing the current at the bottom of the 128 pixel screen with the option of a sample every 2.5, 10, or 60 seconds (ie, the last 5min, 20min or 2hrs).. I hope to use this to catch charger "sips" during balancing at end of charge.. This morning again tried to go to 100% and only reached 274 RAhC/SOC#... forced it tom charge again and got to 276, but no sign of sips after. I hate not having regen driving at 90+% SOC.. Just feels wrong.

It would help to know exactly what bits you use, and your scaling.

Volts need to be (roughly) between 300 and 400 for the pack.

The 16-amp L2 charging DC Pack amps should be about 8 or 9 amps (when near full, before tapering off), I suspect.

Sparky, I have a a Race Tech DL1 you can borrow if you want to compare these numbers to accelerometer/GPS readings. I think it has enough resolution you could confirm some of these scaling values.

So it is confirmed 0-60 9 seconds?

Does anyone know the 0-94 time (I was going to try it this morning, got to 83mph in the hammer lane on I75 and I passed a State Trooper in the slow lane) so I hit eco mode fast.............no ticket :D

Herm said:
With a long and steady braking run you could work out the kwh/m number for the regen events.. then we would know efficient regen is in recovering energy.

We know regen is not 100% efficient but it would be nice to pin down the real number.
My thoughts as well. I would suggest running up to 60 mph then slowing down under three conditions:
1) In D only allowing the car to slow down to less than 10 mph, maybe even 5 mph before braking.
2) In ECO to the same stop or speed.
3) In ECO, but braking steadily at about twice the force of ECO regen down to the same stop or speed.

Then let's integrate those graphs.

Reddy.

Wow it seems so much faster

I hope to pull a few Leaf drivers to a car meet tonight and as some of the cars are gonna be small imports with big exhausts you know the type I think this question may be asked.

In addition, can anyone tell me how far can you go? :lol:

That 0-60 curve is more like a straight line than a curve. How does that compare to gas cars?

Just for laughs I went up against a friend's 550i at a light. For the first 50-100 feet I was ahead of him, then he left me in the dust. Totally non-scientific of course, as it could have just been reaction time hitting the gas.

The inverter is not 100% efficient so it is going to have to pull more than 80Kw from the pack to send 80Kw to the motor... The car measures the power flowing in to the inverter, not going to the motor. Thus, that is exactly what I would expect to see.

GregH said:
I've also noted the 85+ kw power on full speed acceleration.. Pretty cool as we'd been told the motor was only 80kw.

My LEAF often chirps the tires a bit under full accel from a stop. Those graphs look like it feels. Sudden movement, a very brief lull, wheels chirp, and then the railgun effect :)

Back