Irling
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2019

Re: Extra Battery, How to Integrate with 24kWh Traction Battery?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Thank you for your concern, but please answer the question :) This is the only problem that bothers me. If I transfer the current sensor, I can use no more than 24 kilowatt hours of energy, if I leave it in the same place - then I can use more energy, but I don’t know what pitfalls can be

nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Irling wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm
Dear engineers, please help solve the problem. I connect an extra high voltage battery to my car (aze0 2014)
Where do I need to connect an extra battery? After the current sensor (it is installed in the middle) or do you need to transfer the current sensor? What problems will there be if I leave the current sensor in the middle and connect an additional battery at the battery output? Thanks

Which side of the main contactors have you circled? If that is the output, then you have bypassed the precharge resistor (white rectangular item in the middle) which limits the inrush current into the capacitors inside the motor inverter and the dc/dc converter during START. Plus you would have the system always energized and no way to disconnect the HV to turn the car OFF.

You need an additional set of contactors to provide ON/OFF/START control and isolation for the extra pack.

What is your plan for charging the extra pack?

Do you have a picture of the current sensor?

EVDRIVER

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:58 pm

No one with limited experience should be touching an HV pack and I would warn anyone giving advice that they could be open for liability. More than one person has been killed working on a LEAF pack. It’s really crazy hearing people doing this that have no idea what they are doing. Is suppose if you live outside the US that makes it easier but some if the comments and advice here are really irresponsible at this stage.

Lothsahn
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
No one with limited experience should be touching an HV pack and I would warn anyone giving advice that they could be open for liability. More than one person has been killed working on a LEAF pack.
Citation please.

Obviously, the pack is dangerous, but a little common sense and the right tools makes it not that bad of a job.

Plus, I believe people should be able to take risks in their life. This doesn't seem like an unacceptable one to me.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
Battery swap 2019/04/24 (87% SOH, 12 bar)

Irling

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:39 pm

nlspace wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:26 pm
Irling wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 pm
Dear engineers, please help solve the problem. I connect an extra high voltage battery to my car (aze0 2014)
Where do I need to connect an extra battery? After the current sensor (it is installed in the middle) or do you need to transfer the current sensor? What problems will there be if I leave the current sensor in the middle and connect an additional battery at the battery output? Thanks

Which side of the main contactors have you circled? If that is the output, then you have bypassed the precharge resistor (white rectangular item in the middle) which limits the inrush current into the capacitors inside the motor inverter and the dc/dc converter during START. Plus you would have the system always energized and no way to disconnect the HV to turn the car OFF.

You need an additional set of contactors to provide ON/OFF/START control and isolation for the extra pack.

What is your plan for charging the extra pack?

Do you have a picture of the current sensor?
Thank you for your answer, I agree that, if there is common sense, this work can be safe. I want to connect them in front of power relays that connect the battery in ready mode. In the photo, I highlighted the contacts on which there is always voltage, these contacts are connected directly to the + and - of the battery . I decided to transfer the current sensor to one of these wires, and connect an additional battery in front of the current sensor, so I get the correct capacitance measurements from both batteries. To ensure correct mileage, I will update the module LBC/VCM software from Leaf 30 kwth firmware

Irling

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
No one with limited experience should be touching an HV pack and I would warn anyone giving advice that they could be open for liability. More than one person has been killed working on a LEAF pack. It’s really crazy hearing people doing this that have no idea what they are doing. Is suppose if you live outside the US that makes it easier but some if the comments and advice here are really irresponsible at this stage.
You are in a specialized forum, and the people who read it carry out any actions at your own risk. I understand your concerns, but you do not need to create a problem out of it, otherwise any technical forum will be useless :)

EVDRIVER

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Irling wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:42 pm
EVDRIVER wrote:
You are in a specialized forum, and the people who read it carry out any actions at your own risk. I understand your concerns, but you do not need to create a problem out of it, otherwise any technical forum will be useless :)
Thank you for letting me know where I am, I just started posting here last week. Best of luck and buy some gloves and plasti dip.

mux
Delivery Date: 13 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 6177

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm

This won't work. We tried, the LBC doesn't like it and you're going to get fatal DTCs all the time.

Irling

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pm

mux wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:08 pm
This won't work. We tried, the LBC doesn't like it and you're going to get fatal DTCs all the time.
Therefore, I am waiting for your decision :) What exactly won't work? Move the current sensor to its extreme position?

nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:58 am

It would help to see a picture or know what type of current sensor is being used.

If you could make a parallel shunt path to bypass the current sensor, then it might only see half of the current and allow longer operation before reaching the A-hr limits.

Return to “Engineering”