Page 2 of 13

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 pm
by Ingineer
Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!

-Phil

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 pm
by TomT
I hope this is more concrete than the LED headlight DRL mod that was bantered about some time ago and than mysteriously disappeared from discussion... :lol:
Ingineer wrote:Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!

-Phil

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:13 pm
by Ingineer
TomT wrote:I hope this is more concrete than the LED headlight DRL mod that was bantered about some time ago and than mysteriously disappeared from discussion...
It did not "mysteriously disappear". If you read fully you will see that posted that I don't have a schematic available for the DRL mod, nor will I provide one because of the extent of modifications needed in crictical areas of the Leaf's systems. I provided information on how to perform the VSP mod, and several people have already caused problems with their car. I will not release information that will encourage people to do anything to their cars that could be harmful. Period.

Poking me like this is not the best way to encourage me to share anything in the future. I want to help the Leaf (and greater EV) community as much as I can, but it's not possible to give everything people ask. I get many emails a day asking for help, opinions, custom work, etc. Just not possible!

-Phil

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:16 pm
by Nubo
Curious what would behoove them to settle on 80Wh as a unit. Is there some other whole (or decimal) unit of energy that would be the equivalent?

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm
by TomT
Well, since EVDriver was going on and on about it, the logical assumption was that it must have been released in some form and would therefore be forthcoming... Sorry, if the intent was misunderstood!
Ingineer wrote:If you read fully you will see that posted that I don't have a schematic available for the DRL mod, nor will I provide one because of the extent of modifications needed in crictical areas of the Leaf's systems.

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:12 pm
by GeekEV
Ingineer wrote:Both these figures are obtained directly from the battery ECU in the car, and there are no calculations done on my part. Sorry, but I can't give any more technical details out at this time. But I will say something's exciting on the horizon!
Damn you and your teases! I love to hear about all this cool stuff (please don't stop), but then I get bummed that either: a) it isn't yet ready for public consumption; or b) I'm not smart enough to figure it out myself. :oops:
Ingineer wrote:Poking me like this is not the best way to encourage me to share anything in the future. I want to help the Leaf (and greater EV) community as much as I can, but it's not possible to give everything people ask. I get many emails a day asking for help, opinions, custom work, etc. Just not possible!
Easy now, I know it's all too easy to read into what people write, but he did put a LOL smiley on the end of his comment... For most of us, it's like being a little kid waiting for presents on Christmas - it gets hard to wait. You, well, you're Santa of course. Only without his magical super powers that let him take care of everything in one day! I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:20 pm
by Ingineer
GeekEV wrote:I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!
Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. It's truly a shame there is that much anti-EV sentiment!

-Phil

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm
by TomT
I thought it was a good article... With what are people taking umbrage?
Ingineer wrote:Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. -Phil

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm
by Boomer23
Ingineer wrote:
GeekEV wrote:I'm sure we don't want to piss you off intentionally because then all we'll get is a lump of coal. :lol:

Everyone breathe!
Sorry if I'm a little hair-trigger, I've been dealing with the constant inundation of idiots emailing and calling me after the yahoo article surfaced. There are people really pissed about this, and I'm getting all kinds of haters and crackpots coming at me. It's truly a shame there is that much anti-EV sentiment!

-Phil
Wow, I just linked to the Yahoo article and read some of the over 2,000 comments. What a cross section of know-it-all, closed minded haters and perpetual motion believers! Sorry you're being plagued by these people, Phil.

Re: What is a "Gid"?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm
by garygid
To the best of my current understanding:

However one scales the "raw" data, it appeared to turbo2ltr that it was (in the original Old-Bars firmware) being used to create the E-fuel Bars (0 to 12 Bars). So, it appears to be used internally by the LEAF as a "fuel" gauge, which I loosely called "state of charge".

Although several have gotten "281" after a "full" charge, many typically get less, often in the 270's.

Scaling these "Gids" by 80 (or 100/281) does not change the base data, which still gets "used up" faster at the top end, and occasionally appears to be "not really available" at the low end.

You can scale 281 (by 80) to 22480 Wh (or by 0.08 to get 22.5 kWh) if you find it helpful, however the top "kWh" will still disappear faster, and the bottom couple of "kWh" might occasionally be just "wishful thinking".

So, however you like it scaled, please use this "Gid" value ... cautiously.