LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 am

This is why I've gone to 6 month intervals for LeafSpy: you get the same trends, without having to say, every month, "Another drop..." :|
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 am
This is why I've gone to 6 month intervals for LeafSpy: you get the same trends, without having to say, every month, "Another drop..." :|
This! I can't recall the last time I used LeafSpy, at least a year. Just ruins the enjoyment of the car, as there's absolutely nothing good you can do with the information. I charge to 80% most of the time, try to avoid charging when it's hot out, try to avoid deep discharging, otherwise I just drive it.

Same reason I wouldn't want to have a DNA test to find out my life expectancy - sometimes ignorance is bliss
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

goldbrick
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:58 pm

alozzy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 am
This is why I've gone to 6 month intervals for LeafSpy: you get the same trends, without having to say, every month, "Another drop..." :|
This! I can't recall the last time I used LeafSpy, at least a year. Just ruins the enjoyment of the car, as there's absolutely nothing good you can do with the information. I charge to 80% most of the time, try to avoid charging when it's hot out, try to avoid deep discharging, otherwise I just drive it.

Same reason I wouldn't want to have a DNA test to find out my life expectancy - sometimes ignorance is bliss
+1 I've been charging to 60% during the summer and now I'm a bit less careful but I still try to keep it under 80%. I did just check LeafSpy a few weeks ago and I'm at around 94% SOH but I was as low as 92% in the first 6 months before the BMS update on my 2017 S. My LBW still comes on at 14% and I have no noticeable loss of range The dash says I get 4.9 m/kWh so everything is just dandy for me. I've also stopped worrying about using the heat (S model....) and just make myself comfortable.

Switching to an EV does take some mental adjustments but I think at this point I'm over the hump and knowing my remaining range is taken care of subconsciously. Fortunately, I don't need to do long drives and there is FREE! charging all over town so that makes EV driving very low stress for me. I still like to take the occasional 'adventure' to see if I can make a longer trip in the Leaf but that is an exception. Most of my driving is just around town and the car has been perfect for that so far.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13307
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:05 pm

I think I did get useful information from monthly LS readings - the first year. Now I use that info and just see if the drop decelerates with my car as it seems to with others after one year. I don't need monthly readings for that.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

golfcart
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:41 am

I’ve only had the car for 7 months so in just checking monthly and posting for informational purposes. Plus there were some theories posted about large drops occurring every 3 months and I wanted to see if they hold water.
2018 SV

SageBrush
Posts: 4907
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:05 pm
I think I did get useful information from monthly LS readings - the first year. Now I use that info and just see if the drop decelerates with my car as it seems to with others after one year. I don't need monthly readings for that.
.
I still read once a month to correlate transient SOH changes with battery temp. For long term degradation once a year readings are enough, and probably preferred to reduce seasonal noise. If fact, I think it better to take a baseline at one year and then yearly.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

coleafrado
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Dec 2011

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:37 am

SageBrush wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:35 am
LeftieBiker wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:05 pm
I think I did get useful information from monthly LS readings - the first year. Now I use that info and just see if the drop decelerates with my car as it seems to with others after one year. I don't need monthly readings for that.
.
I still read once a month to correlate transient SOH changes with battery temp. For long term degradation once a year readings are enough, and probably preferred to reduce seasonal noise. If fact, I think it better to take a baseline at one year and then yearly.
Do you still have your LEAF? Might be useful to update your signature with newest data.

golfcart
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:08 am
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 am

I really don't think it matters much, check however often y'all see fit. A long term linear trend line will pretty much get rid of any seasonal noise anyways for our needs we are just looking for overall trends. I just think it is interesting to check, it really isn't a hassle. What does it take? 45 seconds to hook up the dongle and connect with the app?
2018 SV

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14164
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:08 am

golfcart wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 am
I really don't think it matters much, check however often y'all see fit. A long term linear trend line will pretty much get rid of any seasonal noise anyways for our needs we are just looking for overall trends. I just think it is interesting to check, it really isn't a hassle. What does it take? 45 seconds to hook up the dongle and connect with the app?
Well, normally I would agree but this is hardly a normal pack. Leave it Nissan to be a bit strange.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 25,185 miles SOH 92.23%
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danrjones
Posts: 378
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:08 am
golfcart wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:59 am
I really don't think it matters much, check however often y'all see fit. A long term linear trend line will pretty much get rid of any seasonal noise anyways for our needs we are just looking for overall trends. I just think it is interesting to check, it really isn't a hassle. What does it take? 45 seconds to hook up the dongle and connect with the app?
Well, normally I would agree but this is hardly a normal pack. Leave it Nissan to be a bit strange.
For sure.

The whole 3 month adjustment thing is odd. It may be meaningless to have the extra data in the LONG run but in the short run its interesting to see what their software is doing.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Return to “Batteries & Charging”