The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jmurt,

Your SoH was remarkably stable through most of 2020. Hopefully it goes flat again for you for another year.

Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Sage, what about the cases of where the owner calls Tesla for a battery analysis, and Tesla confirms a certain % battery degradation. Does Tesla's diagnosis not hold water?
Reference ?

SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Reference ?

Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

So more qualified than Nissan right?

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Reference ?

You will have to explain the joke.

As for Tesla, a customer call-in can at most result in BMS information being discussed, which is no different that reading an OBD2 app. Moreover, I would not put *too* much weight on what a tier 1 customer support rep tells a customer, Tesla or not.

I'll say it again: a charge test is to be believed. Everything else is varying degrees of uncertainty.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
Reference ?

You will have to explain the joke.

As for Tesla, a customer call-in can at most result in BMS information being discussed, which is no different that reading an OBD2 app. Moreover, I would not put *too* much weight on what a tier 1 customer support rep tells a customer, Tesla or not.

I'll say it again: a charge test is to be believed. Everything else is varying degrees of uncertainty.

It was a holiday inn add campaign. But if you didn't see it, it wouldn't make sense.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ok, so you have been babying the battery. Not sure then what might be driving the loss (real or bms). The fellow in Japan with a 40 just hit 100K miles with lots of DC charges and just over 3 years with SoH of 84% (still 12 bars). This bms is still a bit of a mystery as usage cycle doesn't seem to explain the outcomes.

Sage, yes many (but not all),see some artifical loss due to calibration.

His success is more based time... or lack of. A lot of people hit 100,000 miles with 12 bars especially if they do in 3 years. I can remember not so long ago, it was a foregone conclusion that it was nearly impossible to hit 100,000 miles on a 24 kwh pack with 12 bars but now I have seen a dozen new ones in just the past 3-4 months. Really illustrates we are only seeing a small slice of the EV experience out there.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.

https://youtu.be/M5djkEFuA7k

The moral of the story; Size really does matter! :lol:

DougWantsALeaf said:
Impressive that this fellow has DC charged his car 1,000 times in the 100K miles. I know Japan has many 25kW Chadrmos, so possible that helped a bit.
If you have unlimited access to them, it's easier to do than one would think just because of the convenience. Before I sold my 2013 SV, I had done 575 QC on it in 75K miles just because the QC was always easily available for me and it was running 50 kW to 62.5 kW depending on my battery temperature.

In reference to my old one:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32026

knightmb said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
If you have unlimited access to them, it's easier to do than one would think just because of the convenience. Before I sold my 2013 SV, I had done 575 QC on it in 75K miles just because the QC was always easily available for me and it was running 50 kW to 62.5 kW depending on my battery temperature.

In reference to my old one:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32026

So I am reading this wrong since 62.5 KW on a 2013 isn't possible

DaveinOlyWA said:

It is, depends on the QC station. I've only ever seen two stations that could do it (I suppose because they supported 100 kW QC)
One was run by the electric utility in Atlanta, GA. The other is the QC station at Nissan HQ in TN. I was shocked to see it too because I thought the QC station screen was wrong, but I had LeafSpy with me to see if it was true and LeafSpy was showing the same thing. :eek:
Battery was over 100F in both places, so I don't know if temperature is a factor or not.

These are the two location that could do it. If you go back time far enough and find my username of "knightmb", you'll see my check-ins and power readings (will be years and years old)

https://www.plugshare.com/location/1369

https://www.plugshare.com/location/5485

According to this, it is possible to reach 62.5 kW as it was supported under the original CHAdeMO protocol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO

knightmb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

It is, depends on the QC station. I've only ever seen two stations that could do it (I suppose because they supported 100 kW QC)
One was run by the electric utility in Atlanta, GA. The other is the QC station at Nissan HQ in TN. I was shocked to see it too because I thought the QC station screen was wrong, but I had LeafSpy with me to see if it was true and LeafSpy was showing the same thing. :eek:
Battery was over 100F in both places, so I don't know if temperature is a factor or not.

These are the two location that could do it. If you go back time far enough and find my username of "knightmb", you'll see my check-ins and power readings (will be years and years old)

https://www.plugshare.com/location/1369

https://www.plugshare.com/location/5485

According to this, it is possible to reach 62.5 kW as it was supported under the original CHAdeMO protocol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHAdeMO

No it doesn't. EA chademos used to run at 200 amps. I have SEVERAL examples of that in my Plus. but my 40 kwh LEAF ran at 125 amps, no more, no less.

My real question is you verified it with LEAF Spy but I don't recall you or anyone else posting that. Seems like a slam dunk in the "I should save this moment for prosperity?" category.

Never mind ...

I'm also skeptical of 62 kW into a 2013 MY LEAF. How much power was going to things other than the battery ?

125 Amps * .38 kV = 48 kW into the pack, so 14 kW ? Hmmm

DaveinOlyWA said:
No it doesn't. EA chademos used to run at 200 amps. I have SEVERAL examples of that in my Plus. but my 40 kwh LEAF ran at 125 amps, no more, no less.

My real question is you verified it with LEAF Spy but I don't recall you or anyone else posting that. Seems like a slam dunk in the "I should save this moment for prosperity?" category.

Where were you in 2016? :lol:

pNS2z53.jpg

I purchased my used 2018 on Feb 1st, 2021 and from day one have been thrilled with it.

I nearly exclusively 110VAC Trickle Charge in my driveway, and most of the winter mileage was shown at 140 miles, give or take.

But yesterday I was shocked to see a range of 157 miles displayed !

I thought 149 was the maximum possible.

Now, of course, IRL mileage will be less, but still - I am impressed.

ytCdp2u.jpg

S3SqVGN.jpg

The house cat assisted by shedding all over the dash - :?

She adores technology and is fascinated by the Leaf.

The range estimator, while it's better in the Gen II than in earlier Leafs, should never be taken really seriously. Having said that, mine regularly displayed 160 miles when my Leaf was new, and could actually achieve that, based on shorter trips at the time. Now it's about 10% less because the pack has degraded about that much in three years.

SalemCat said:
I purchased my used 2018 on Feb 1st, 2021 and from day one have been thrilled with it.

I nearly exclusively 110VAC Trickle Charge in my driveway, and most of the winter mileage was shown at 140 miles, give or take.

But yesterday I was shocked to see a range of 157 miles displayed !

I thought 149 was the maximum possible.

Now, of course, IRL mileage will be less, but still - I am impressed.

ytCdp2u.jpg

S3SqVGN.jpg

The house cat assisted by shedding all over the dash - :?

She adores technology and is fascinated by the Leaf.

This post is quite the norm with new EVers. Just wait till mid May when you are pushing 165 but don't get used to it. Come Winter you will be right back to 140 ;)

rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:
rogersleaf said:
At 10 months and 20,000 miles

LS stats:
AHr... 108.66
SOH... 94.13%
Hx... 121.84%
SOC... 98.2% and 471 GID
402.42v, cells balanced between 4.190-4.192v
odo... 20196
14 QC / 524 L2’s

Main difference in charging behavior and usage is due to cold weather. The car is getting charged to 100% daily using the timers so that charging completes about an hour before needing to leave on my commute. Then, the car's pre-heat timer is set so it's warm when leaving. Most nights the car is inside an attached garage.
At just under 14 months and 25,000 miles

LS stats:
AHr... 107.38
SOH... 93.03%
Hx... 117.59%
SOC... 98.8% and 469 GID
403.72v, cells balanced between 4.204-4.207v
odo... 25,072
18 QC / 652 L2’s
A bit overdue posting the last set of data. Pulled this last week.
I'm at 17 months now, 30,000 miles.
Looks like almost no capacity loss since the last time and GIDs are up by 2, find that hard to believe.
Must have found the fountain of youth.

LS stats:
AHr... 107.35
SOH... 92.99%
Hx... 109.64%
SOC... 99.2% and 471 GID
404.06v, cells balanced between 4.207-4.212v
odo... 30,271
20 QC / 772 L2’s
It's been awhile since posting an update. Now at 24 months and roughly 40,000 miles.
My usage dropped substantially over the Winter due to temporary changes in commuting.

LS stats:
AHr... 104.24
SOH... 90.30%
Hx... 110.65%
SOC... 97.3% and 448 GID (although charged 100% on L2 and shut off on it's own after rebalancing cycle)
403.53v, cells balanced between 4.203-4.205v
odo... 39,968
25 QC / 1008 L2’s

I did what may be the last LeafSpy reading on my 2018 yesterday evening.

SOH: 90.36

AHr: 104.31

Hx: 105.80%

Odo: 4420

SOC: 76.6%

Cell variance: 18mv

That's an average degradation rate of 3.12% per year. Mine has followed the typical 40kwh pattern of a single rapid loss the first year, followed by much lower drops afterwards.

Back