The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learjet said:
My stats from today.. did a full charge last night...last full charge was over 1,000 miles ago.

fXS8KLdl.png

My prediction; you next adjustment will be down, the one after will be up.

Learjet, your SoH and my SV+ SoH are very close. I ran a little test this week. Tested true miles driven between 80% and 30% charge on the dash. Driving was a mix of local and highway driving. The 50% used on the dash is really about 45% on the battery as the car is building buffer in that range. We drove 113.3 miles over the 50%, which translates to either 227 or 252 mile range if you account for the buffer in real world driving. We do keep the tires at 44psi for reference. Temps were mainly 40s and low 50s F.

I just bought a new old stock 2020 SL Plus in hot AZ, drive 25k-30k miles a year. Rarely fast charge. Should I abuse the battery (DC fast charge in oven then keep at 100% etc) in hopes for warranty pack in just 3 or 4 years? Or should I baby the battery and try to make it last? Given my high mileage situation?

I already have leaf spy and an OBD bluetooth dongle from my old 2015 LEAF. I will see what the SOH is once the BMS figures everything out.

Thanks.

eyedrop said:
I just bought a new old stock 2020 SL Plus in hot AZ, drive 25k-30k miles a year. Rarely fast charge. Should I abuse the battery (DC fast charge in oven then keep at 100% etc) in hopes for warranty pack in just 3 or 4 years? Or should I baby the battery and try to make it last? Given my high mileage situation?

I already have leaf spy and an OBD bluetooth dongle from my old 2015 LEAF. I will see what the SOH is once the BMS figures everything out.

Thanks.

Sadly we have doubled the capacity of the pack but have not budged the parameters of the warranty an inch. There are two 40's already over the 100,000 mile limit and haven't dropped the first bar so you can try but thinking you might have a tougher job than you think.

As far as high mileage? It would appear that the faster you pile on the miles, the more the pack thrives. Could be a car that is always on the road simply has little opportunity to sit around with at pack at high SOC :lol:

FYI; it takes less than 10 seconds for LEAF Spy to read a brand new pack.

eyedrop said:

Thanks.
Take initial readings for comparison (make sure you have the latest version of LEAF Spy for compatibility with the larger battery). It will probably take several charge/discharge cycles before you get maximum capacity because the car sat for extended time. Don't try to abuse the battery--just use the car normally. At your annual mileage rate you will hit 100k and end of warranty in 3 or 4 years. As noted previously, I have over 31k miles and 21 months of use in Phoenix with LEAF Spy still showing SOH above 93% so it will be quite a while before I lose the first capacity "bar" (the new display is a 12-segment bar graph instead of 12 bars). I have a total of 12 QC and 205 L1/L2 charge cycles for 31,176 miles which yields an average of 143.67 miles per charge.

^^ Agreed.

It will be interesting to hear how OP fares with the LEAF in a hot (but not quite Phoenix hot) climate. From what he posted, about 1/2 of his annual miles are work commute related. That part of his car use should be easily covered by the LEAF for a long time. The other 15k miles or so a year are uncertain. It depends how far he drives, and whether he wants to use DCFC.

He knows that depreciation may (I'd say likely) be severe , so little reason to talk about that.

OP: Good luck !

Interesting, that I am now seeing reports of Norway Leaf Plus owners receiving ota software updates. Previously it was just UK and Ireland.

No one seems to know what's included in the update.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting, that I am now seeing reports of Norway Leaf Plus owners receiving ota software updates. Previously it was just UK and Ireland.

No one seems to know what's included in the update.

yeah see that. Since you have both what is your version numbers? S and non S? Mine is 0340 I believe.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Wow, did your car come with that version? Or has it updated?

As far as I remember, when I got it back in February, I did the update when I noticed it could be updated. It took about half an hour to finish, which at first I thought it didn't have a good Internet connection to the house wi-fi, but when I watched the total bandwidth used by the car, it was actually maxing out the bandwidth and downloaded over +500 MB of data before going through a really long "don't power off the car" warning message for the update. There has not been any updates since then, so I wonder if all the different versions are related to the model years vs. one update for all vehicles kind of thing?

Ok, it should be obvious by now that we need to add trim, MY to our comments as they do not all seem to start out the same. Build date might be a thing as well

2019 S Plus, build 10/19 Version 0340

Is it just my bias/perception, warm spring or are our Leafs a bit more efficient this summer over last summer.
May 2020 on our SV+ 4.3 miles/kWh
May 2021 4.8 miles/kWh

It might just be weather, but both cars are putting up some pretty good numbers.

Anyone on the board have Plus models from different years? Curious if efficiency feels different across the Gen 2 model years.

Hi!

First time posting here - loving my Leaf!

Just got LeafSpy and checked the stats on my 2020 62kWh Leaf's battery.

The car is 15 months old and has just shy of 4k miles on the odometer thanks to lockdowns. No DC fast charges, regular charging has been at 3kW (fault on charger) and have just moved up to 7 kW charging (BP have replaced the faulty unit).

If I read LeafSpy correct, I have lost 4.7% of battery capacity in 15 months, which seems to tally with the max. range being reported.

Does this seem about right?

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but I have no reference point!

Also, is there anywhere one can get a data set of batteries, miles, age & SoH readings?

Happy to plot it, but I would like to get an idea of what is average and where SoH heads over time/miles.

Many thanks for anything anyone can contribute!

You are probably in a situation similar to ours: your car likely sat on one or more dealer lots for a long time - possibly in hot weather - with a full charge before you bought it. Just avoid that scenario while you drive it and it will likely converge with other '20 Leafs in total degradation.

DaveWilliamz said:
Does this seem about right?
It's on the high end, but within the range others report.

It is your first data point, You will have a much better idea of your personalized car degradation trend line in 2 - 3 years. Car battery degradation is mostly climate related but also owner determined. Lefty can point you to threads that discuss these variables and mitigation strategies.

Back