The 40KWH Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I almost always charge my car fully every charge cycle (first 2011, then 2015, and now 2019 Plus), I see the cell voltages and overall battery pack voltage at full charge. The 62 kWh battery charges to slightly higher volts per cell than the 24 kWh packs did. For all three cars, the highest cell voltage does not change over time so the LBC (lithium battery controller as Nissan calls it) or BMS (battery management system--generic description) is not hiding any capacity by limiting charge when new. The maximum overall pack voltage and capacity does vary depending upon how well the cell voltages are balanced so I suspect the 3-month adjustments on the 40 kWh and 62 kWh batteries are based upon averages over that time to update the LBC's calculations.

So if the BMS on its quarterly calibration doesn't lower max cell voltage, how is it bringing down usable capacity? (For the large step changes you can see changes pretty quickly..even feel the range adjustment)

I have always seen true range (actual recharge energy from shutdown to full charge) as gradual reduction over time with no significant step decrease (or increase) at 3-month intervals even though indicated parameters show step increases or decreases with 62 kWh battery. There were no step changes in parameters at 3-month intervals with 2011 or 2015. Since the LBC generates the distance to empty (guess-o-meter) and % SOC displays from its calculations, it may give the impression of less or more range associated with the 3-month updates, but the only realistic way to know the actual battery capacity is measure the charging energy from dead to full or perform driving range tests over the same routes and note changes over time.

A second 40kWh Leaf just posted a battery segment loss. This one not a livery driver.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/6252022194868569/?fs=1&focus_composer=0&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile

DougWantsALeaf said:
A second 40kWh Leaf just posted a battery segment loss. This one not a livery driver.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/6252022194868569/?fs=1&focus_composer=0&m_entstream_source=feed_mobile
Has he stated it's 40 kWh? But yeah, he mentions Palm Springs and yep, it gets blazing hot there. Some of his earlier posts show the battery "gauge" going into the red.

Update: He's answered now that it's a 40 kWh. I guess we learns what happens to 40 kWh packs baking in crazy hot climates now.

GerryAZ said:
Since I almost always charge my car fully every charge cycle (first 2011, then 2015, and now 2019 Plus), I see the cell voltages and overall battery pack voltage at full charge. The 62 kWh battery charges to slightly higher volts per cell than the 24 kWh packs did. For all three cars, the highest cell voltage does not change over time so the LBC (lithium battery controller as Nissan calls it) or BMS (battery management system--generic description) is not hiding any capacity by limiting charge when new. The maximum overall pack voltage and capacity does vary depending upon how well the cell voltages are balanced so I suspect the 3-month adjustments on the 40 kWh and 62 kWh batteries are based upon averages over that time to update the LBC's calculations.

I am not seeing any voltage changes either and shouldn't anyway but I am seeing anywhere from 97.5% SOC to 100% SOC (twice also 3 more at 99.9%) and they are are within .2 volts total pack voltage.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Any charging history? My guess is a lot of full charging. its a popular thing.

We can ask. I haven't had the time to monitor. I'm not a fan of visiting FB's mobile site on a desktop browser.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/6252022194868569 is place to see the desktop version.

cwerdna said:
We can ask. I haven't had the time to monitor. I'm not a fan of visiting FB's mobile site on a desktop browser.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/6252022194868569 is place to see the desktop version.

Me neither. I just delete the m and that usually does it.

I personally hate when people snap pix that don't show the whole dash. So many clues unknown.

cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

Has he stated it's 40 kWh? But yeah, he mentions Palm Springs and yep, it gets blazing hot there. Some of his earlier posts show the battery "gauge" going into the red.

Update: He's answered now that it's a 40 kWh. I guess we learns what happens to 40 kWh packs baking in crazy hot climates now.

If you look at his FB history, he constantly runs the battery to 0% with full temperature bars somehow, not sure if that is just QC like crazy? Even in desert heat temperatures, to hit the battery at 140F is a challenge, even for me :lol:

I'm glad that when I thought I was abusing my battery, it's no match for what he is doing to it. :?

knightmb said:
cwerdna said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

If you look at his FB history, he constantly runs the battery to 0% with full temperature bars somehow, not sure if that is just QC like crazy? Even in desert heat temperatures, to hit the battery at 140F is a challenge, even for me :lol:

I'm glad that when I thought I was abusing my battery, it's no match for what he is doing to it. :?

Yeah...personally I think he has an agenda here. His stats are simply too far off the beaten track even for other cars in his area or similar climates.

Apparently I'm not a member of that Facebook group, so I can't see what you guys are talking about.

I should join. Single Japanese female Leaf drivers! Where were you when I was single? :lol:

Don't think I'll join, last thing I need is more Facebook.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Yeah...personally I think he has an agenda here. His stats are simply too far off the beaten track even for other cars in his area or similar climates.
From my personal experience with our own 40 kWh 2018 Leaf, it takes a lot of aggressive, high speed driving to heat up the pack that much. Granted, our temperatures top out at a little over 100F where we are in the summer, but even in the 110F heat of this Leaf owner's area, this user must have his Leaf parked in a black top roof spot where it bakes all day in the sun, then at noon, drives around at high speed with the AC set for 60F on high and some other stuff to get the pack that hot. His pictures even show the power reduction that happens when the pack hits 140F. From what I remember, the Leaf complains when the pack is that hot with warnings and messages about reduced power, pack temperature, etc. So this person is basically ignoring all of that and driving it like a sports car anyway.
I think he also mentioned it was a Lease, so sounds like he is trying to ruin it for the next unlucky person that gets it. That's like leasing a Telsa and driving around in ludicrous mode everywhere to damage the battery and motor.
I agree, he has an agenda. :?

knightmb said:
I think he also mentioned it was a Lease, so sounds like he is trying to ruin it for the next unlucky person that gets it. That's like leasing a Telsa and driving around in ludicrous mode everywhere to damage the battery and motor.
I agree, he has an agenda. :?

Interesting. This story gives me more confidence if the LEAF since it is not doing badly considering the abuse.

The fellow is actually doing NIssan/LEAF a favor for the buying population that pays attention, although I presume he is just acting out a 'I don't give a **** because I'm an asshole and I lease' fantasy. At least he documents.

SageBrush said:
Interesting. This story gives me more confidence if the LEAF since it is not doing badly considering the abuse.

The fellow is actually doing NIssan/LEAF a favor for the buying population that pays attention, although I presume he is just acting out a 'I don't give a **** because I'm an asshole and I lease' fantasy. At least he documents.
Here is a lot of his pictures posted into a collage form to get a better view for those that don't use Facebook (I don't blame you there :lol: )
I first noticed, the mileage in the later pictures is very low for a 40 kWh unless someone is driving at around a 2.0 miles/kwh efficiency. That would mean high speed driving probably the vehicle top speed almost for a long trip. Even with the AC running the whole trip, it wouldn't cause that kind of efficiency loss. I also noticed it's never in Eco or e-Pedal mode. Again, you turn those off when you want to go fast a lot, play stoplight champion, etc. It's odd that someone so concerned about the range doesn't seem to take any steps to improve it.

59Z4jJT.png

BR4jG38.png

I don't do a full charge very often, I usually charge to around 70-75% every few days. But I went ahead and did a full charge this morning.
Not really sure if the BMS really needs a full charge now and then. The car said it was at 100% and had stopped charging prior to when i got in to drive it.

Here were the stats:

Ahr: 101.09
SOH: 87.57
Hx: 98.02
Odo: 11587

SOC: 97.3
V: 402.76
12 mV
Temps: 61.9 to 57.4f

Back