PDM Replaced, Not to Factory Specs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuvo

I recently had my Power Distribution Module (PDM) replaced. The repair took almost three weeks. I normally use the 110 trickle charge at home, but plugged into a Level 2 BLINK yesterday. Carwings shows I'm only charging at 3.6Kw, should be 6.6 Kw on a ' 13 SV (or SL). I'm afraid Nissan replaced it with the slower 3.6Kw from previous model years or the current S model. The support people were useless, I knew way more about the Leaf trim levels and charge times than they did! So frustrating! Anyone had this issue? I am going to follow up with the dealer. :oops:

No I haven't had any problems. sounds like you qualify for the Lemon Law, if one exists in Georgia. Since you purchased/leased a 2013 SV model in March, you have every right to expect a fully functioning car without half your term of ownership being in a shop!!

This is likely the Blink EVSE. Try an Aerovironment unit at a Nissan dealer before you conclude this.

Blink (Ecotality) has a bunch of defective crimps inside the handles of their stations that cause the connector to burn, often taking out the J1772 connector on the EV as well. Their solution to this is to set the maximum output (pilot signal) to 16 amps, so the most you'll see is around 3.84kW into the car. (less if the power is 208v rather than 240v)

Consider getting your "trickle" cord (EVSE) upgraded to Level 2 by EVSE Upgrade, then you'll be able to fully charge in 3-5 hours at home (with any 240V outlet). If you had the upgraded EVSE, it would be easy to verify correct charge speed at home, you'd benefit from faster charge times, and you'd waste less power (charging on Level 2 is more efficient).

Many people are worried about getting it done because they are leasing, however this is a non-issue.

-Phil

I'm going to try another location, however before my PDM went bad, I did not have this issue using the same station... that's why I'm suspicious.

vacuvo said:
I'm going to try another location, however before my PDM went bad, I did not have this issue using the same station... that's why I'm suspicious.

But by your own volition it has been at least 21 days since you were at that station. Blink could have sneaked in behind you and "fixed" their J1772 handle problem.

Ok, I have tried two other stations, one at Walgreens (that gives a digital readout, showing right at 3600 W) and matches on Carwings and the other at the Nissan dealer. Waiting for Nissan consumer affairs and the dealer to respond. This makes three stations all giving the same slower charge. Does it sound like what I first thought or am I missing something? I've also noticed on the trickle charge a fairly loud humming sound I never noticed with the original PDM....

take it in. guessing it wont take a but a minute for them to verify the charging rate (after the 3 hours it will sit before they get around to looking at it)

Keep us posted. I am going in tomorrow morning to more than likely get my PDM replaced that is what the codes said according to the dealer. I need to make sure that they but in the 6.6 kW and ask them directly

I once bought a new mid-range stereo system from a supposedly reputable dealer. I had checked it out first with a display model they had. My system turned out to have a defective amplifier unit, which they replaced. However, when I was connecting it, I noticed that the "new" amp had the same missing screw and the same scratches as the display model. I went back, tried the display model again, and, sure enough, it now had my defective amp in it. Maybe your dealer had the old charger in stock but not the new one, or maybe they had a lemon waiting for return that had a good charger in it. The only good thing that Ronald Reagan ever said, IMO, was "Trust, but verify." Failing that, I suggest "Don't trust dealers to do the right thing"...

Leftie - Just about every service experience I've had with the dealer has been a positive one. When I spoke with the service writer, he explained the part was ordered by a Nissan engineer and not the dealer. Based on my past experience, I'm inclined to believe him. I think its more of an issue with Nissan rather than the dealer. The consumer affairs office in TN has been in touch with me and has assured me they would get me an answer... though I'm still waiting. You're right about trust but verify. I'm just waiting for them to react to my verification! The length of time between reporting the defect and their response is tells me they know something is almost certainly wrong and are figuring out the response, as they'll want it to be uniform for anyone else having this issue.

JJPaylor- Yes, please make sure you set the expectation you want the charge rate to be the same as it was from the factory. When you get it back let us know how it performs.

I'm starting to get anxious.

Finally my Leaf is back at the dealer after working through consumer affairs. I didn't want to take it until they had a game plan, given I was without it for almost three weeks last time. I've been told they have a software update for the original problem (cutting off charge before 100%) and they will be installing my original PDM. So hopefully they've got it right this time and I'll end up with a properly charging car that can take 6.6 kw/h on a level 2 station.

vacuvo said:
I've been told they have a software update for the original problem (cutting off charge before 100%) and they will be installing my original PDM. So hopefully they've got it right this time and I'll end up with a properly charging car that can take 6.6 kw/h on a level 2 station.
Wow, what a waste! Good luck getting this resolved!

mwalsh said:
vacuvo said:
So hopefully they've got it right this time and I'll end up with a properly charging car that can take 6.6 kw/h on a level 2 station.
You mean 6.0kWh on a Level 2 station. Don't want you to be further disappointed when you see that. ;)
Actually, the car, i.e. the charger in the car, can take up to 6.6kW, and he could see that from the reading on the charging station if it is running at 240v. (Assuming that the charger is amp-limited to 27.5A -- which I'm not at all sure of, he would only see 5.7kW at 208v, the voltage many public EVSEs run at.) 6.0kW is the maximum rate the charger inside the car can supply to the battery, but he may not have any way to measure that directly.

Ray

Hello,
I have a 2014 Nissan Leaf SV without Quick Charge. My dealer says that its PDM needs to be replaced and the PDM part # 292C0-3NF6D
I see a PDM with part # 292C0-3NF3B on eBay on sale. I am wondering if this PDM 292C0-3NF3B is compatible with the recommended PDM from Nissan dealer of 292C0-3NF6D. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you,
Jay M

maddireddy said:
Hello,
I have a 2014 Nissan Leaf SV without Quick Charge. My dealer says that its PDM needs to be replaced and the PDM part # 292C0-3NF6D
I see a PDM with part # 292C0-3NF3B on eBay on sale. I am wondering if this PDM 292C0-3NF3B is compatible with the recommended PDM from Nissan dealer of 292C0-3NF6D. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you,
Jay M

Probably not the same part. What year is the E Bay version?

Looks like the eBay one is for a 2013 LEAF, not a 2014:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2014-nissan-leaf/body_electrical/electric_vehicle_drive_system.html

However, a search of the eBay part on that site , using the "check fit" feature, shows it's compatible with a 2014 SV:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-box-asmy-power~292c0-3nf3b.html?vin=&make=Nissan&model=Leaf&year=2014&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=(3=SV;5=24KWH)

Not exactly a definitive source though. Hopefully your dealer can confirm...

You should reach out to MannyTx on these forums, as he has a crashed 2015 that he's parting out. If the PDM is intact, that might be your best bet.

Curious, what DTCs were reported?

Back