offpist
Delivery Date: 23 Apr 1978

Re: Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Now I am just sitting at the office watching the battery pack charge.
This morning it was 10% SOC, and now it is 80%SOC(14:00).. should reach 100%SOC by 16:00.
It works flawless and automatic, no need to human input.

If i can get my hand on one more battery pack I might consider expanding.

Slow1
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 425010

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 am

I assume you are watching capacity on the battery pack - will be interesting to see at what rate it degrades. Yet another good reason to add more storage capacity than needed eh?
2013 S with 6kw upgrade (Black)
MFD Date 12/13

mitch672

Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:59 am

I believe the BMS is talking to the Sunny Island via the CAN bus, so it is aware of the SOC of the battery bank, and likely will not drain it down below a certain SOC/Voltage. There is a point of diminishing returns, there isn't much point in having a lot more KW of storage than what the PV array can produce in a day or two... The sun will come up tommorow (bet your bottom dollar, "Annie" :) ) and resume charging. On the other hand, if you look at winter solar production and several overcast/cloudy days, more storage could be used, but for those few days, it's probably more economical to buy grid power. It's a balancing act, try to be self sufficient to eliminate dependency and cost of grid power, versus the cost of extra battery storage.
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:10 am

hill wrote:This is a very slick set up. I'd imagine several will start doing something similar. I hope Nissan doesn't jack up the price on their pack, to slow such projects down.
This is a used pack, Nissan won't sell you a leaf pack without a leaf to go with it! ;)
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

offpist
Delivery Date: 23 Apr 1978

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 am

Yes this was a used battery pack, 3 years old.
Probably SOH at 80% already.

Today i charged 14KWH in to the pack.
Remember I only use 42 out of the 48 modules that comes with the battery pack.

Also, I only cycle the battery between 3.7V and 4.1V.
As Norway is quite cold, keeping the batteries around 25`C or below should not be difficult.
You have all seen the movie Frozen, right ;)

Last few days they start off at 15`C in the morning and end up at 22`C in the afternoon.
This should be good conditions for a long lifespan.
Besides, now that i have the inverter and BMS i can easily change battery modules in a few years.

There are plenty of Leafs sold as "Parts only" for cheap.

Slow1
Delivery Date: 28 Jun 2014
Leaf Number: 425010

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:54 am

mitch672 wrote:I believe the BMS is talking to the Sunny Island via the CAN bus, so it is aware of the SOC of the battery bank, and likely will not drain it down below a certain SOC/Voltage. There is a point of diminishing returns, there isn't much point in having a lot more KW of storage than what the PV array can produce in a day or two...
I agree with these points and understand them. My question was more on the line of how fast the capacity of the battery will actually degrade (all of them do). I somehow doubt the Leaf battery aging models will fit exactly - if they do then it would be like a full discharge each day (so, consider that 70 miles/day or approx 25K miles/year?) But is the temperature management in this case at all comparable to the Leaf use case?

Knowing how quickly the capacity will (or won't) degrade in this configuration could have significant impacts on calculating ROI for the solution.
2013 S with 6kw upgrade (Black)
MFD Date 12/13

mitch672

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:58 am

"offpist" stated he payed about $2K for the pack. i just watched one sell on eBay for about $2,300 used, so there is your used pack cost, with BMS and not deep discharging/overcharging it's likely to last a number of years
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

NasGoreList
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:33 am

Wow, this is phenomenal work!!!! You are truly green now! :mrgreen:

we don't have solar on our house yet, but hope to have it in the near future...however I would be more interested if there is a way to plug in our house into LEAF and use it's battery pack as a back up if the power goes out to power our AC( or gas furnace in the winter),TV,Lights.

I remember seeing Nissan showing similar concept, wonder if they made any progress on it? Or how would one go about making it into DIY project?

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:01 pm

="JeremyW"... Nissan won't sell you a leaf pack without a leaf to go with it!
Nissan will, but only if you already own a LEAF.

But Nissan says it will require a used battery pack in exchange, and only give you a ~$1,000 trade-in value for it (which seems to be way below current market price) for that used battery pack.

I wonder what Nissan will do when the first LEAF owners demands a replacement pack purchase, without giving Nissan back their OE battery pack?
no condition is permanent

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 pm

edatoakrun wrote:I wonder what Nissan will do when the first LEAF owners demands a replacement pack purchase, without giving Nissan back their OE battery pack?
They won't sell them one, simple as that. The terms of the sale dictate they give the old pack up.
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”