120V car charger clicks on and off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginosesto

Charger base just keeps making a clicking noise and doesnt work. Fault light doesnt come on. Just the power and charging light just blink along with a clicking noise. Hardly charges the car. Anyone see this issue?

If you are referring to a Clipper Creek L-1 charging station, this may be a known issue that they can fix. If you mean the Nissan portable EVSE that comes with the Leaf (the charger is actually built into the car), then I don't know what's up. Please give more details.

^^^
Yes. Give more details please. Page CH-37 Charging of the '13 Leaf manual (page 86 of the PDF) describes the meanings of the 3 lights on the stock L1 EVSE The lights are ready, charge and fault.

Level 1 (120 volt) and level 2 (208/240 volt) EVSEs are NOT chargers. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14728&p=332668#p332668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

What does "Hardly charges the car" mean? What if you try a different outlet? Can you try another L1 EVSE? What about on L2 EVSEs?

With an apparently faulty EVSE like that I can say for SURE that I wouldn't be attempting to charge my car with it.

If your cord is twisted from improper wrapping you may have a a separated pilot signal wire.

Sound like a faulty EVSE to me. It's like it keeps resetting itself with the power light blinking off and on. Maybe a bad power supply? Step one is to try charging the car another way to verify it's the EVSE.

Edit: It sure is annoying that the board is capitalizing the word "blink" when it's not supposed to be. It's one thing to make it a rollover link, it's another to change the word.

I’m having the same issue with my used 2017 Nissan Leaf. It didn’t charge overnight and when I tried to charge it again I heard the clicking sound and saw the flashing lights. The car quit charging, but when I removed the EV charger from the car and reinserted it the car began to charge, but the blinking and clicking continued for awhile. Eventually it stopped and the car did charge overnight. Does this mean I need a new charger?

I think it may be a problem with my outlet. When I plugged it in to a different outlet there was no blinking or clicking and the car charged fine.

Back