Page 41 of 94

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am
by LeftieBiker
danrjones wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 am
I have, usually (for me) its only a couple degrees apart. Anyway, still makes me wonder what is what for the sensors.
It may just be an illustration of how heat moves through the pack, or it may be an artifact of the sensor location, or even of how they are manufactured...

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:01 pm
by danrjones
LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am
danrjones wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 am
I have, usually (for me) its only a couple degrees apart. Anyway, still makes me wonder what is what for the sensors.
It may just be an illustration of how heat moves through the pack, or it may be an artifact of the sensor location, or even of how they are manufactured...
At lunch the spread was back to about 2 deg F, about 82.8 and 80.8. As you say, maybe the spread is caused by the lag as the outside (or some part of the battery) cooled at night faster than the inside. For the first time in about 4 months we got down to a bone chilling 60 F last night.

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:45 am
by golfcart
I finally got a chance to check out the range on the new Leaf (2018 SV) as I had to drive 65 miles each way to an event yesterday. This is the first time, in 6 months of having the car, that I have really needed to push the range at all so I was looking forward to the results...

I charged to 100% the night before and I arrived at home with 129.5 miles traveled and 14% remaining on the SOC display.

90% of the trip was interstate traveling between 65 - 75 mph the rest was surface streets with 45mph speed limits and a short period of 25mph near both destinations. I only used A/C on the return leg in the afternoon.

I was pretty impressed, the car might actually get close to the 150 miles of range at what I consider to be normal highway speeds (~70mph).

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am
by DaveinOlyWA
LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am
danrjones wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 am
I have, usually (for me) its only a couple degrees apart. Anyway, still makes me wonder what is what for the sensors.
It may just be an illustration of how heat moves through the pack, or it may be an artifact of the sensor location, or even of how they are manufactured...
I think its sensor location. I let mine sit more than 12 hours and the temps begin to merge occasionally within one degree. But get out and drive it and one will quickly diverge from the pack when the pack heats up getting to as much as 20º difference with 10+ being typical. Made me think there was some sort of circulation causing this, speaking of which.

A bombshell comment made by a VERY reputable person from Nissan stating 62 kwh packs now have circulation fan. Still waiting on more details on that.

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:03 am
by danrjones
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am
LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:33 am
danrjones wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:00 am
I have, usually (for me) its only a couple degrees apart. Anyway, still makes me wonder what is what for the sensors.
It may just be an illustration of how heat moves through the pack, or it may be an artifact of the sensor location, or even of how they are manufactured...
I think its sensor location. I let mine sit more than 12 hours and the temps begin to merge occasionally within one degree. But get out and drive it and one will quickly diverge from the pack when the pack heats up getting to as much as 20º difference with 10+ being typical. Made me think there was some sort of circulation causing this, speaking of which.

A bombshell comment made by a VERY reputable person from Nissan stating 62 kwh packs now have circulation fan. Still waiting on more details on that.

Maybe a dumb question, but could one of the three temp sensors (I only see three), could it be on the motor?

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 pm
by LeftieBiker
Maybe a dumb question, but could one of the three temp sensors (I only see three), could it be on the motor?

Most things are possible, but I doubt that this one is true.

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm
by Astros
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am
A bombshell comment made by a VERY reputable person from Nissan stating 62 kwh packs now have circulation fan. Still waiting on more details on that.
I saw that post, but I don't really believe it. It is true that I see my Plus battery pack heat up much less than my 30 or 40kWh packs did, even with multiple long fast charging sessions, but I have mostly attributed that to the lower C rate. On my last long trip, our second charge lasted 55 minutes and we gained over 40kWh to a 94% SoC, which suggests that we were getting close to the full 44kW rate of the charger up to ~90% SoC. Even then, we only had 8 temperature bars. I'm afraid I neglected to get a LeafSpy reading at that point. Still, I didn't hear any sort of fan noise coming from the car, so if there is a fan, I can't imagine it's doing much.

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm
by danrjones
Astros wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:56 pm
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:37 am
A bombshell comment made by a VERY reputable person from Nissan stating 62 kwh packs now have circulation fan. Still waiting on more details on that.
I saw that post, but I don't really believe it. It is true that I see my Plus battery pack heat up much less than my 30 or 40kWh packs did, even with multiple long fast charging sessions, but I have mostly attributed that to the lower C rate. On my last long trip, our second charge lasted 55 minutes and we gained over 40kWh to a 94% SoC, which suggests that we were getting close to the full 44kW rate of the charger up to ~90% SoC. Even then, we only had 8 temperature bars. I'm afraid I neglected to get a LeafSpy reading at that point. Still, I didn't hear any sort of fan noise coming from the car, so if there is a fan, I can't imagine it's doing much.
But there is two ways to read that - that Leaf plus's have a fan, or that "now" they have a fan, meaning some plus's did not and new ones do?

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm
by danrjones
LeftieBiker wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Maybe a dumb question, but could one of the three temp sensors (I only see three), could it be on the motor?

Most things are possible, but I doubt that this one is true.
Yes, but some part of the battery (or whatever is monitored) heats up much faster than the rest.

I'm not sure if leafspy arranges so Temp1 is always the hottest, or if temp1 is always sensor 1?
in my case Temp1 (left reading in leafspy) seems to always be the hottest.

Re: The 40KWH Battery Topic

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:03 pm
by Astros
danrjones wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:41 pm
But there is two ways to read that - that Leaf plus's have a fan, or that "now" they have a fan, meaning some plus's did not and new ones do?
I guess that's possible, but this rumor has existed for a long time, and was just recently repeated by someone who ought to know more than us. Sometimes it seems the people closest to Nissan have drunk too much off the Kool-Aid, and stubbornly believe Nissan PR over anything else. Look at the reactions by Nissan insiders to Rapidgate.

In any case, I can't see them making a major change like this only 6 months after the Leaf Plus went on sale.