Page 4 of 8

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:47 pm
by LeftieBiker
OrientExpress wrote:
WetEV wrote:What is the "middle of the acceptable heat range for the 62 kWh battery" in degrees C?
From here to here:

Image
Yikes. NO.

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:36 pm
by lorenfb
LeftieBiker wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:
WetEV wrote:What is the "middle of the acceptable heat range for the 62 kWh battery" in degrees C?
From here to here:

Image
Yikes. NO.
Couldn't have said it better!

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:43 pm
by OrientExpress
I wonder if Nissan may just know a bit more about this stuff than those still using 2011 as their baseline for passively managed battery knowledge?

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm
by LeftieBiker
Perhaps we know a little more about this stuff than those who learned everything they know about EVs from Nissan brochures...?

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:08 pm
by WetEV
OrientExpress wrote:I wonder if Nissan may just know a bit more about this stuff than those still using 2011 as their baseline for passively managed battery knowledge?
I want a battery temperature read out.

I also want control over the maximum charge level, as I live on a hill and want regeneration.

I'm the customer, I'm right.


My ICE has a digital temperature readout for the engine coolant. Why doesn't a BEV, again?

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:13 pm
by goldbrick
WetEV wrote:My ICE has a digital temperature readout for the engine coolant. Why doesn't a BEV, again?
The temp gauge on my ICE car shows the same reading between about 80C and 110C (ie, straight up in the middle of the needle range). I've been told it's like this so that the vast majority of folks who have no idea that an ICE engine will run hotter under heavier loads don't freak out when the temp gauge moves. By the time it actually gets off the 'normal' reading something is usually really wrong and it will shoot up to the red zone in a matter of seconds.

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm
by WetEV
goldbrick wrote:
WetEV wrote:My ICE has a digital temperature readout for the engine coolant. Why doesn't a BEV, again?
The temp gauge on my ICE car shows the same reading between about 80C and 110C (ie, straight up in the middle of the needle range). I've been told it's like this so that the vast majority of folks who have no idea that an ICE engine will run hotter under heavier loads don't freak out when the temp gauge moves. By the time it actually gets off the 'normal' reading something is usually really wrong and it will shoot up to the red zone in a matter of seconds.
Useless. Heavy loads like towing something big up a pass, you need to know, before the idiot light comes on. On a cold day, knowing about when the heat is going to start cleaning the windows is nice.

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm
by SageBrush
OrientExpress wrote:I wonder if Nissan may just know a bit more about this stuff than those still using 2011 as their baseline for passively managed battery knowledge?
They do for sure. Just like they have for preceding models. The user manual, however, does not reflect that knowledge, it reflects the car warranty. So long as you do not mind the car having lost 35% of battery capacity in about 8 years you can follow Nissan owner advice implicitly.

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am
by OrientExpress
LeftieBiker wrote:Perhaps we know a little more about this stuff than those who learned everything they know about EVs from Nissan brochures...?
So far the evidence to support that hypothesis is lacking.

Re: Rapidgate on the 62 kWh Leaf Plus?

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:49 am
by HerdingElectrons
lorenfb wrote:Based on my experience with 40 kWh Leaf's battery, 45 minutes to and hour. Use LeafSpy and do a test yourself, i.e. drive at
70-75 for a hour and then check the battery temp with LeafSpy.
Thanks, and I concur with your assessment.

I still fully maintain that the 40kwh Leaf should strictly be used as a local car for 90% of drivers for best results.

The 62kwh has 57% more usable capacity so it handles high speed loads much better due to the lower per cell C rate due to the extra number of cells even when the heavier pack is factored in because maintaining highway speed makes that extra weight less of a factor.