OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Re: 2019 Leaf battery overheating

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:48 am

lorenfb wrote:Right. So those new to a Leaf and how heat affects battery degradation can additionally accelerate long term degradation
now with the firmware update. And the lemmings will surely follow!
Probably, but this group always needs something to whine about, so it's a marriage made in heaven! :D
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

OrientExpress
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 am

danrjones wrote:I wonder if I should get the update next time I'm going in for service? I only use my leaf for commuting and in town, so I have never fast charged. I feel bad for those who are effected by rapid charge issues but I knew going in about that as a limitation so I never planned to even use it that way.

I've never had a issue with heat yet, and we are as hot as any place except Phoenix. (Degradation aside)

So far this summer I regularly see the temp guage in the center and then one bar above center, but it is what it is. I can get the exact temps if I want via Leaf Spy but I'm not sure if its worth bothering. So far I haven't had any issues with LVL2 charging at night nor the car getting grumpy during the heat of the day,

Now I'm sure its not good on the long term health of the battery but I got such a good deal on the car it doesn't matter. It should stay healthy enough for a good few years of life and then I'll trade it in. If I had paid out of my pocket the ridiculous MSRP then I'd probably be paranoid over the slow drop in my SOH.

The only thing I've noticed with the heat is the AC lowering my efficiency, which I would expect.
As you probably know, the hot weather degradation testing for the redesigned batteries in the 18-19 LEAF was done just south of you in Stanfield Az (and in Dubai), and so far it looks like these newer designs are holding their own quite well.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:07 am

I'm treating it as well as can be expected anyway. I keep my charge between about 40% and 80% and I'm not a hard driver. I actually keep it outside at night because we cool off outside while my garage stays hot. I know some folks here on the forum even AC their garage to help the battery cool off but I've decided not to do that, as that's money out of my pocket too. And I shouldn't have to.

Realistically I think the warranty only said that I can't keep it above like 120F ambient for 48 hours sustained or something like that, which should never happen.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Return to “Batteries & Charging”