Trickle Charge - Decrease Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jante73

Hi there

I am a new Leaf owner in Australia. I bought it second hand as a Japanese import. I charge it at home using the cable. My km range is decreasing and I am now concerned that my method of charging is the issue. I very rarely use a wall charger as they are not readily available in my area. Is any possible damage to my battery permanent? Should I be using a wall charger? These are very expensive in Australia!

Apologies if this issue has been covered elsewhere.

If you are referring to the estimated range, don't worry about that - the range estimator (called the "Guess O Meter" by Leaf drivers) is not reliable. L-1 charging with the included charging cable is fine, as long as it gives you enough range for your needs. Avoid charging battery when it is hot, regardless of charging method, and you will be fine.

If you mean your actual, real world driving range is decreasing, then most likely you are unable to charge the car long enough each day to completely recharge the battery with Level 1 charging. Does charging stop (full charge) before you use the car?

Back