Kyocera to roll out new Li-ion battery in 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldbrick

I'm not sure how much of this is corporate PR hype and how much is a true improvement in Li battery tech but I do think it's inevitable that new and better batteries are coming.

Kyocera Corp will start volume production of a new lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery that does not cause any accident in principle and is expected to drastically increase capacity density in 2020.

The new Li-ion battery can reduce material cost by about 40% and shorten manufacturing process to 1/3, compared with existing Li-ion batteries, according to Kyocera. Also, it has less technical problems than all-solid batteries, which can realize both a high safety and high density and are attracting attention. Therefore, the new battery can start to be mass-produced early.
If the new battery incorporates the same amount of active materials as existing batteries, it becomes possible to reduce the amount of metal foil, enabling to reduce material cost and improve energy density. The energy density of this part is three to four times higher, compared with existing products.

https://japantoday.com/category/tech/kyocera-to-roll-out-new-li-ion-battery-in-2020

Back