Page 1 of 5

J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:43 am
by gascant
Does anyone know where I can get a non-functional J1772 holster? My LEAF will be parked about 15 feet from my EVSE and I'd like to holster the connector on a shelf that's conveniently nearby instead of hauling the cord and connector over from the wall each night. I've seen functional female sockets for $125 but that seems steep to pay for something that will be used for storage only. I think the one in the EVSE itself is molded into the case.

(Apologies to the forum leadership if this is a repeat post--I couldn't find a discussion on this in my searches)

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 am
by ENIAC
gascant wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a non-functional J1772 holster? My LEAF will be parked about 15 feet from my EVSE and I'd like to holster the connector on a shelf that's conveniently nearby instead of hauling the cord and connector over from the wall each night. I've seen functional female sockets for $125 but that seems steep to pay for something that will be used for storage only. I think the one in the EVSE itself is molded into the case.

(Apologies to the forum leadership if this is a repeat post--I couldn't find a discussion on this in my searches)
I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:25 pm
by TomT
A short piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe and a couple of U wall clamps should do it for just a few bucks...
ENIAC wrote:I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:55 pm
by ENIAC
mogur wrote:A short piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe and a couple of U wall clamps should do it for just a few bucks...
ENIAC wrote:I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.
Good point! Here are three options.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:27 pm
by gascant
ENIAC wrote:
mogur wrote:A short piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe and a couple of U wall clamps should do it for just a few bucks...
ENIAC wrote:I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.
Good point! Here are three options.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053
Interesting. The male connector is about the width of my wrist, so I've been able to find brackets that would hold it, but I was really looking for that "click" to secure it. In the absence of that, though, the ABS pipe sounds like a good idea. I think I have some in my plumbing supplies box.

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:10 pm
by ENIAC
gascant wrote: Interesting. The male connector is about the width of my wrist, so I've been able to find brackets that would hold it, but I was really looking for that "click" to secure it. In the absence of that, though, the ABS pipe sounds like a good idea. I think I have some in my plumbing supplies box.
All the EVSEs just simply have a way to secure the connector, so that it doesn't fall to the floor.

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:23 pm
by gascant
ENIAC wrote: All the EVSEs just simply have a way to secure the connector, so that it doesn't fall to the floor.
Exactly. That's what I want to replicate about 15 feet away from my EVSE, hence the desire to find a non-functional female connector (or holster).

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:25 pm
by Glenn
ENIAC wrote:All the EVSEs just simply have a way to secure the connector, so that it doesn't fall to the floor.
I don't believe that's true. According to pictures on at least three manufacturer's websites (which may be outdated...) Clipper Creek, Leviton, and EVDriver's personal favorite, EVChargeAmerica all just loop the J-cord over a wall mounted saddle.

Glenn

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:41 pm
by garygid
A short piece of PVC pipe with a rectangular hole cut on top for the latch "hook" to enter, and possibly a slot cut out on the bottom for the "key", if necessary.

Re: J1772 Holster

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 pm
by gascant
garygid wrote:A short piece of PVC pipe with a rectangular hole cut on top for the latch "hook" to enter, and possibly a slot cut out on the bottom for the "key", if necessary.
Another great idea. Keep 'em coming!