The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daklein

_The_ place to post battery info, SOH (state of health), Ahr (capacity), temperature observations over time, with info about how the pack is being treated, and other things relating to the new 2019+ 62kWh Plus pack. (Like the The 40kWh Topic): https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25773

There are a few stats scattered in other topics, but having this one should make it easier to keep track of them. The one I've seen is the Leaf Plus efficiency thread: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29971 Please add Links if there are other threads with data points on the 62kWh pack. If we find ourselves bored, someone can summarize and plot the data in a google spreadsheet. :)

My pack came without a car :eek: :shock: :D , but it looks like it's in good shape. It came from a salvage yard near Smyrna TN, likely from a dismantled non-saleable development vehicle, allegedly with 6000 miles on it. We'll see on first discharge if it stays well balanced or not. It could always look fine top balanced but fall apart on discharge if some cells are special. I hope to get it running in the near future, and enjoy living with 62kWh! I'm curious to see if having it sitting at 91% SOC until I get it running (plus who knows how long before I got it) will impact the SOH at all.

My pack, s/n 000006 (bet I have the lowest serial number?!) estimated 6000 miles, previous history & usage unknown other than likely located in TN.
11/6/19 https://photos.app.goo.gl/QpEMnsqR91j9sXJA8
171.95 AHr
97.48 SOH
109.33 Hx

There were two other 62 packs that I checked with Leafspy also. They looked just about as good Ahr & SOH, but some external damage.
I don't know where these ended up, they were gone in less than a week after I got mine and posted here about them. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=27600&start=157

s/n 000015 looked just fine on Leafspy, well balanced I guess, but a couple monster dents that at least hit the cell frames.
s/n 000010 had near-zero external dents, but a broken HV connector. And it had a funny looking cell voltage histogram. Still only 16 mV spread, but showing every odd cell high and shunted, every even cell lower and not shunted. Just a curiosity. Lower SOC than the other two, could be random, but could be self discharging too. Does the BMS shunt when not charging? Bad BMS, purposely mis-balanced for a test, purposely constructed pack with half 'bad' lower capacity cells? Anyone see something like this and can explain why? https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZeWWawBPGZ6mav3y9

For those of us who are not yet up to speed on the acronyms, please define SOH and explain how to find it on a Leaf Plus S, which does not have the gadgetry that the upscale models have? I was familiar with the older Leaf's 12-bar Blues icon, but that is not very sophisticated and presumably there is a better more accurate battery state read-out..... Leaf Plus mostly charging at 120V for long periods of time. Thanks!

Thanks for organizing a new thread. I've been tracking my 62kWH battery degradation through LeafSpy with periodic data samples every few weeks. I plot that alongside with my mileage and add a basic linear trend, here is my latest visualization. Current reading:

11/16/2019 -- SOH 95.64 Miles 6,428

It does appear the BMS makes an adjustment every few months as others have indicated. Also appears the slop of degradation is flattening but time will tell if that's verified.

vyyMkgT.png

How are you charging the Leaf Plus? seems like a lot of decline in a few short miles, unless it flattens nicely at roughly 95%. Is there any way to determine SOH without LeafSpy? can the dealer?

dmacarthur said:
How are you charging the Leaf Plus? seems like a lot of decline in a few short miles, unless it flattens nicely at roughly 95%. Is there any way to determine SOH without LeafSpy? can the dealer?

State Of Health (SOH) is a reading provided by the Battery Management System (BMS) that correlates more or less exactly to remaining battery capacity. There is a screen for battery capacity on the 40kwh SV and SL - I don't know about the S or S plus. It just shows a bar gauge with no delineation between the lines, so it looks like a linear bar. It still has the same 12 segments as the old graphic, though.

I've kept careful track of my 2018 SV and 2019 SL Plus, and they follow the exact same pattern. If you remove the 3 month drops, the remaining Ahr (from LeafSpy) follow a perfect double-linear degradation: a fairly steep (linear) decline until 7000 miles, abruptly slowing to 1/3 the degradation after that. For my 2018, that was a slope of -0.315 Ahr per 1000 miles in the fast period, and -0.087 Ahr per 1000 miles in the slow period after 7000 miles. For my 2019 Plus, the slope is slightly steeper at -0.348 Ahr per 1000 miles in the fast period and -0.113 Ahr per 1000 miles in the slow period. There is so little scatter that I assume this trend is simply programmed by Nissan.

All of that was excluding the 3 month large drops, which roughly double the degradation I've seen in both cars. I assume that the BMS does an actual check of the battery's health at that time, and applies that as a correction to the predicted degradation.

ETA: We charge mostly at home on L2, with 108 L2 and 31 L3 charges so far. We drive 20-60 miles each day mostly on the freeway (but sometimes traffic is very slow), and tend to plug in when the charge gets down to ~30%, then charge to full. We rarely use the heater, but often use defrost (or AC in the summer). The overall battery SoH (according to LeafSpy) is 96.69% at just over 10,000 miles.

Astros said:
Oilpan4 said:
Astros said:
LeafSpy) is 96.69% at just over 10,000 miles.

That's for the 2019 plus, correct?

Yes, the 2019 Plus. I had my third big battery health drop after posting that, though, so now I’m at 169.19 aHr and 95.91%.

What's going on there?
I am strongly considering getting a 62kwh battery for my old leaf and trying to figure out what I'm getting into.
I can easily get a 40kwh, they're everywhere, but I think I want to hold out for the bigger one.

Oilpan4 said:
What's going on there?
I am strongly considering getting a 62kwh battery for my old leaf and trying to figure out what I'm getting into.
I can easily get a 40kwh, they're everywhere, but I think I want to hold out for the bigger one.

The regular 3 month drops appear to be the BMS recalibrating, while the gradual day-to-day degradation appears to simply based on a formula that uses mileage (and maybe time?). The 40kWh pack behaves exactly the same way, and at least Dave here has seen the 3 month adjustment bring his battery health back up slightly. My best guess is that I'll reach 75% at 100,000 miles and just under 8 years.

Does colder weather tend to reduce SOH, or is that compensated for somehow?

Oilpan4 said:
Astros said:
Oilpan4 said:
That's for the 2019 plus, correct?

Yes, the 2019 Plus. I had my third big battery health drop after posting that, though, so now I’m at 169.19 aHr and 95.91%.

What's going on there?

I think the BMS is upgrading a bit now trying to coordinate pack health with your driving habits. My 40 kwh LEAF took 15 months to settle down. I lost 7% but then my degradation slowed to barely 1% a year over the last 7 months; a period that included all Summer, first ever 12 temperature bars and everything else that is supposed to be bad for the pack.

So it all remains to be seen how well the E Plus fares after a year. I am guessing 5% loss. About a third of Tesla drivers report a chunk lost the first year with the rate of degradation dropping way lower after that so not completely unusual. (guessing the other 2/3rds simply don't care)

But a few things about the differences between the 40 and the 62 which are HUGE and growing.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2019/12/e-plus-charging-profile-still-searching.html

With everyone going to a charge by the minute billing system, its important to get all you can from your LEAF and it my quest to figure that out, some very interesting things have come to light.

Did you know that on cold (cold for us, cool for Midwesterners) mornings, a cold E Plus can charge THREE times faster than a TMS Bolt? :cool:

dmacarthur said:
For those of us who are not yet up to speed on the acronyms, please define SOH and explain how to find it on a Leaf Plus S, which does not have the gadgetry that the upscale models have? I was familiar with the older Leaf's 12-bar Blues icon, but that is not very sophisticated and presumably there is a better more accurate battery state read-out..... Leaf Plus mostly charging at 120V for long periods of time. Thanks!

No LEAFs of any trim have SOH readings, only a bar graph representing capacity. There are 12 bars (or pips in your case) of unequal size (assumed in 40 kwh packs since none have left the building yet) ranging from 15% for first and last bars to 6¼% for the middle 10. All the SOH, ahr, etc readings you see here come from LEAF Spy; an app. If you don't have it and plan to stretch your range a bit, get it. It will be the best money you ever spend. Cost about $50

Hmm it's almost like OEMs should just rate the capacity after what it settles down to after that first year.

We own a 2019 SL+ (build date 3/19, purchased end of 5/19)

12/9/19 (current)
SOH: 94.37 :'(
Ahr: 166.47
QC: 39
L1/L2: 320
Odo: 14,823

This summer we got the battery pretty hot on a few occasions making some late summer "road trips" where we needed to charge along the way, possibly 5 times we QC when it was 80+ degrees outside. Our real loss has been in the "adjustment" we received last week that brought us down a good chunk (over 1.5%). I drive the car to work almost every day M-F 74 miles roundtrip charging only nightly starting in the middle of the night and ending just before I leave with a charge around or just above 80%. We've only charged the car to 100% when heading out on said "road trips" where we really need the range to get where we're going or make it to the next fast charger without going too low (below 15%).

TLDR: We keep the battery between 40 - 80% SOC the vast majority of the time, and try to avoid getting it hot if at all possible. Not sure why we're seeing such a sharp decline in SOH during the colder months here (in Ohio temps have been between mid 20 - mid 50 for a month).

NotATesla said:
We own a 2019 SL+ (build date 3/19, purchased end of 5/19)

12/9/19 (current)
SOH: 94.37 :'(
Ahr: 166.47
QC: 39
L1/L2: 320
Odo: 14,823

This summer we got the battery pretty hot on a few occasions making some late summer "road trips" where we needed to charge along the way, possibly 5 times we QC when it was 80+ degrees outside. Our real loss has been in the "adjustment" we received last week that brought us down a good chunk (over 1.5%). I drive the car to work almost every day M-F 74 miles roundtrip charging only nightly starting in the middle of the night and ending just before I leave with a charge around or just above 80%. We've only charged the car to 100% when heading out on said "road trips" where we really need the range to get where we're going or make it to the next fast charger without going too low (below 15%).

TLDR: We keep the battery between 40 - 80% SOC the vast majority of the time, and try to avoid getting it hot if at all possible. Not sure why we're seeing such a sharp decline in SOH during the colder months here (in Ohio temps have been between mid 20 - mid 50 for a month).

This follows the exact same pattern as the 40 kwh packs did. My adjustments ended after 15 months with degradation slowing to a rate of less than one percent per 10,000 miles. This occured over the hottest part of the year so even heat and 12 temp bars didn't affect it. Soon 40 kwh packs will be ending their 2nd full year of operation. Interesting to see how they progress as I think the 62 kwh will follow the same pattern but with a more gradual slope.

Back