SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: 2020 SV Plus rapidgate advice?

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:36 pm

OP,
I'm sorry we cannot provide any hidden gems of advice and I do understand where you are coming from.

In the spirit of getting a better deal next time around, avoid KBB as a shopping tool. Truecar.com gives I think better market value data, e.g
https://www.truecar.com/prices-new/niss ... code=87111

Although the best approach is to come to a car forum like this one. There is always a thread for people looking for the best deals going. While you may not get absolute best deal, you will be a much more informed consumer.

Or just get a Tesla ;)
And actually, now that I think about it ... since you paid ~ $40 pre tax, why didn't you buy a Tesla ? It sounds like the difference between ~ $32.5k after tax credit for the LEAF or ~ $38k for the Tesla Model 3 SR+
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:14 pm

A portable A/C or heatpump (I have one of those but don't use it for this) could blow cool air under the car while garaged, but I don't see how that would get you a second fast QC in hot weather. It would maybe make the first one faster...
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:31 pm

BrOtis wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 am
webeleafowners wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 am
For what it’s worth I think you have a great car, and that is coming from a Very happy Tesla model 3 owner. Leafs do what they do very well and the hatch back is great. Not to mention a very good looking car in my opinion. Miss my leaf. We retired and didn’t need two cars so we sold it.

But I’m sure a ton of people here want yo know. What kind of driving conditions are you using it under. You have so few miles but you need to fast charge. Are the only trips you make 500 miles? Most people rarely fast charge. I know Tesla owners who have never been to a fast charger in 3 years. Do you have charging at home?

Soooo curious on this. Please let us know.

Cheers.
Also, I will trade cars with you anytime you want lol.
Heh heh. I’ll have to pass on the trade.

So yah your trips to San Diego from Phoenix are literally the worst case scenario for you car and it explains a lot. We live in Palm Springs during the winter so know that stretch of road we’ll. I would do two things.

1. For the occasional San Diego trip just rent something. The rest of the time you’ll still enjoy a great car.

2. Don’t beat yourself up to much. We have all been there at some point in life. Those who haven’t will. Wait a couple or three years and trade up to something else. By then there will be more than just Tesla in the game although Tesla is a great way to go as well. In the mean time I can think of a lot worse cars to be in than a 2020 SV leaf.

And visit this board from time to time. Super nice bunch of people and very helpful. We don’t even own a leaf anymore but still come over once in a while to check out the news. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

Cheers and stay safe.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:02 pm

A Facebook Leaf taxi driver in Vegas has tried putting a fan in under the rear hump lid to pump more air across the battery. Supposedly it gets you a few degrees off the battery every 15 minutes.

I have done 2 back to back DC charges on 90 degree weather, but it doesn't get to 120, like it does there.
2019 S Plus (93.7% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (91.6% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:44 pm

This might be a dumb and obvious comment, but besides keeping and enjoying your leaf, and then just renting for a few trips per year to San Diego... what about finding a relative or friend or coworker and swapping vehicles for those trips? If you are comfortable with that, I suspect a coworker or friend will really enjoy driving it for a few days while you are out of town.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:06 am

I honestly would not try to take a LEAF on long drives, let alone in hot weather.

But do be aware that heat discharge into the battery increases quadratically with car speed and headwind. The slower you drive, the slower the battery will overheat. The same holds true for charge rate.

So maybe the LEAF can be gamed a little doing the following:
Charge to full the day before your trip, to give the battery a chance to reach ambient
Drive 60 mph
Hopefully DCFC at a a decent rate to to full battery
Drive 70 mph
Charge at L2 speeds
Drive 70 mph to your destination
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr @28k miles. 10/21: 53.4 Ahr @ 40k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:25 pm

BrOtis wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 pm
I recently purchased a 2020 Nissan Leaf SV plus and quickly realized the mistake I had made. I live in Arizona and at the time of purchase I had no idea what passive cooling was and the sales person certainly had no clue about anything involving the car. I knew more than he did.

Had I realized that the battery would suffer such harsh throttling about 90% of the year in Arizona due to the heat, I’d have bought an EV with an active cooling system. I suppose I’m fault here for not doing the proper amount of research but it feels like I got taken for a fool. Please don’t make me feel anymore stupid than I already do.

I could have gotten myself a model 3 for what I paid. And to make matters worse, my cars value somehow depreciated almost 25k in less than 5 months. It has less than 6k miles on it and is in immaculate condition. I know depreciation happens but more than half of what was financed in less than half a year?! How is this legal? That was a real kick In the pants. So I can’t get rid of the car because I’m not rich and I can’t afford to just take on 20k or more in negative equity.

At this point I’m desperate for some sort of help. I think Nissan should not be allowed to sell this car in this state honestly. Does anyone know of anything that will help me?

I tried going to Nissan and they basically told me sorry but you’re out of luck. Apparently the firmware update that help this issue isn’t available for the 2020 model for some unknown reason.

Is there anything I can do to help this? Could I buy a different battery pack with active cooling? Could I pay some custom EV shop to build something? I love the car other than the rapidgate issue. Please don’t respond with snarky comments about how I need to get a different car. I would if I could.
How can we take this post seriously when you claim this?
my cars value somehow depreciated almost 25k in less than 5 months
how about some numbers so "we" can decide for ourselves?

As far as selling in AZ, we have someone with a Plus and he seems to be doing fine living in Phoenix.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:34 pm

BrOtis wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 am
webeleafowners wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:00 am
For what it’s worth I think you have a great car, and that is coming from a Very happy Tesla model 3 owner. Leafs do what they do very well and the hatch back is great. Not to mention a very good looking car in my opinion. Miss my leaf. We retired and didn’t need two cars so we sold it.

But I’m sure a ton of people here want yo know. What kind of driving conditions are you using it under. You have so few miles but you need to fast charge. Are the only trips you make 500 miles? Most people rarely fast charge. I know Tesla owners who have never been to a fast charger in 3 years. Do you have charging at home?

Soooo curious on this. Please let us know.

Cheers.
It’s only when I have I charge more than once. Second fast charge is instantly slower than the first. Taking about 2 hours. 3 is slower than a level 2 charger. I’ve tried going from Phoenix to San Diego which took 14 hours. A 5 hour trip in a gas car. I also tried Phoenix to LA with similar results. I tried both in the best of the summer and about a month ago. For San Diego to compare how it did with cooler temps and instead of taking 14 hours it took just under 13. Which is still pretty unacceptable to me. Maybe this is normal for EVs? I’m just a regular person who decided to try and be more Conscious about my car on foot print. And now I feel as though I was prayed on by my ignorance. I realize this is probably just how it works. But it is a hard pill to swallow when you thought the technology was something it isn’t. And your stuck with an insane amount of debt that the car isn’t worth.

Sounds more like not having the basic understanding of how charging works. DK what the spread of chargers is but you need to charge the bottom 2/3rds of the pack on road trips. Will cut charging time significantly and yeah, involves more stops but I think you will find it more tolerable.

15 minutes of planning will save you hours
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:42 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:06 am
I honestly would not try to take a LEAF on long drives, let alone in hot weather.

But do be aware that heat discharge into the battery increases quadratically with car speed and headwind. The slower you drive, the slower the battery will overheat. The same holds true for charge rate.
Sage will give the worst case, of course. In cool/cold weather, this isn't an issue.

The slower you drive the less heating, and the lower the fraction of time spent charging. The battery will cool between charges.

If you drive very fast, you will overheat the battery in all but cold conditions.

If it is very hot, the battery will overheat on long trips.

Hot conditions can't be avoided, usually. Speed needs to match traffic speed. So if this corner of conditions is common, you need a different car.

I've done a day trip with 6 QC sessions. Weather was about 3 C.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:25 pm

how about some numbers so "we" can decide for ourselves?

As far as selling in AZ, we have someone with a Plus and he seems to be doing fine living in Phoenix.
OP said he paid $46k, the financed amount. He wasn't able to claim the full $7,500 tax credit. Sounds like he overpaid for the car or got a really bad interest rate and didn't do his research before buying a Leaf over a Tesla.
2020 Leaf Plus SV Tech & All Weather
2019 Leaf SL - traded in
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited AST

Return to “Batteries & Charging”