Why do I need a Charging Station ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalemCat

My 2018 SV includes a Charging Cable, which works as a 110VAC Trickle Charger, and as a 220VAC Charger.

I could have my Electrician simply install an Outdoor 220VAC Outlet on my outer Garage Wall.

So why would I need a ChargePoint, JuiceBox, etc at all ?

Convenience. Unless you mount (using the holster that came with it, ideally) it, the portable cable gets to be a PITA using it. Also, unplugging and re-plugging it constantly is inadvisable. Having said that, the only charging station I've ever has was a L-1 (120 volt) one for about 5 years. Now I use the Nissan cable.

You can use the portable unit, but many drivers prefer to keep the portable unit in the car and have a permanent unit for routine charging at home. Unplugging and plugging in the power cord to either a 120V or 240V receptacle on a daily basis will wear out the contacts in the receptacle so you may need to replace the receptacle once in a while (should last at least a year or two).

GerryAZ said:
You can use the portable unit, but many drivers prefer to keep the portable unit in the car and have a permanent unit for routine charging at home. Unplugging and plugging in the power cord to either a 120V or 240V receptacle on a daily basis will wear out the contacts in the receptacle so you may need to replace the receptacle once in a while (should last at least a year or two).

I would likely leave my OEM Cable plugged in at the Garage, and simply leave the car end on the lawn when not connected to the Leaf.

If it needs to be replaced, in time, I see generics for sale for $200 (give or take).

Am I missing some drawback to this plan ?

I strongly suggest a post and plug holster for the yard. The plug is weatherproof - especially if the cap is on it - but the base unit would be longer-lived if protected by a weatherproof box, or at least an overhang of some sort. Mine is just protected by the garage roof overhang, and that's enough.

The Nissan mobile EVSE was not designed for the way you are thinking about using it.

Water is one problem,
Frequent connect/disconnect is another,
Frequent use at 240v is a third

SageBrush said:
The Nissan mobile EVSE was not designed for the way you are thinking about using it.

Water is one problem,

I agree on water, at least eventually. Frequent use at 240 volts, though? That's a new one by me. The unit appears robust enough to operate at 240 volts.

Theft is another concern since it wouldn't be hard for someone walking by to just unplug it, grab it and go. A box built around the unit that shields it from view and from the weather could solve a lot of these problems. Adding a lock to the box would go even further to prevent theft if that is a concern in your area.

SalemCat said:
My 2018 SV includes a Charging Cable, which works as a 110VAC Trickle Charger, and as a 220VAC Charger.

I could have my Electrician simply install an Outdoor 220VAC Outlet on my outer Garage Wall.

So why would I need a ChargePoint, JuiceBox, etc at all ?

It's good to have a backup. I stopped hauling around the Nissan unit after 3 years. BUT... it came in handy when my installed unit failed. The company made good and shipped a free replacement, but at least I could still charge in the interim.

With the dual voltage EVSE that Nissan provides, I agree with the OP. It's pretty easy to wall mount the stock EVSE, in which case it can be left plugged into the 14-50R all the time. I wouldn't just dump it on the lawn though...

Because you never know when you might need one, I would be inclined to purchase a cheapo 120V EVSE from Amazon and keep that in the car "just in case"...

An example, not an endorsement:

https://amzn.to/3bcbbR1

I’ve had an Eaton hard wired L2 EVSE in my garage since 2016 and still use it.

At our cabin I have a Nissan 120/240v EVSE mounted in the shed plugged into a 14-50R receptacle. I bought one on eBay 2 years ago for only $209. I keep another Nissan brand 120/240v EVSE in the trunk just in case I ever need it when traveling.

pu1WYa2l.jpg

SageBrush said:

Water is one problem,
The Nissan unit is fairly well sealed from rain and splashing, however is should not be left on the ground if the area is subject to standing water.
If you intend to use it outdoors permanently, then some type of cover or enclosure would protect from water and, if lockable, help prevent theft. It is perfectly fine to use it for charging every day at either 240 volts or 120 volts with suitable circuits and receptacles. Frequent plugging/unplugging will eventually wear the contacts in the wall receptacle, but the plug on the Nissan EVSE will be fine and receptacle replacement is not expensive.

Flyct said:
I’ve had an Eaton hard wired L2 EVSE in my garage since 2016 and still use it.

At our cabin I have a Nissan 120/240v EVSE mounted in the shed plugged into a 14-50R receptacle. I bought one on eBay 2 years ago for only $209. I keep another Nissan brand 120/240v EVSE in the trunk just in case I ever need it when traveling.

pu1WYa2l.jpg

Nice !

Where did you get the wall-mounted holder ?

Now I am thinking of a setup just like yours, but run the cable under my garage door, thru a "mousehole" I can cut on the bottom.

The wall mounted holder comes as standard equipment with the EVSE cable. It might (or might not) be available as a stand alone item from Nissan, or more likely someplace like ebay.

If you have access to a 3D printer, then you can make one:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3595900

Otherwise, the Nissan part:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-holder-assy-evse~296m8-5sa0a.html

goldbrick said:
The wall mounted holder comes as standard equipment with the EVSE cable. It might (or might not) be available as a stand alone item from Nissan, or more likely someplace like ebay.

So the Holder should have come with the vehicle ?

My understanding is that if you got the 120V/240V EVSE it should have been included. That unit only came with some trims/options though.

The dual voltage EVSE comes very well wrapped up, in plastic wrap and bubble wrap, all contained in a large, homely fabric bag. If yours was loose then it was unwrapped by someone else, and the holder taken.

goldbrick said:
My understanding is that if you got the 120V/240V EVSE it should have been included. That unit only came with some trims/options though.

My 2018 Leaf SV has a Window Sticker that states it included, under SV TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE:

Portable Charge Cable (120V/240V EVSE)

I will attempt to "sweet talk" the missing HOLDER out of the Dealership this week.

v0YoJHk.jpg

Back