Charging Cord Wiring Diagram

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlonoreilly

Hey everyone!

I have a 2018 Nissan Leaf and one of the prongs broke on my 4 pin connector. The part that plugs into the 220 connected to the house. I I'm going to rewire a new end on it but the wires have left me perplexed. There are three thick wires... a yellow/green combo wire, black, white and then three smaller wires which are red, yellow and blue. Does anyone know how to wire these up? I can't find anything online anywhere.

Thanks so much in advance.

If it's a 4-wire plug there should be 4 wires that connect to it. I don't understand how you list 6 different wires.

In general, white (or gray) is neutral, green or (green with yellow stripe) is the equipment ground wire, any other color (usually red, black) are L1 and L2 wires. If that doesn't make sense to you I'd suggest having someone replace the plug for you or doing some research on-line first.

At least that is how house wiring would be done in the US. Wires inside the cable that connects the EVSE block to the plug could be anything, especially since the same unit is probably sold internationally.

When you actually cut off the end plug, there are six wires in total. It's pretty messed up. I would attach a picture if I knew how. Haha

What model of EVSE do you have that this is wired? The green/yellow is the earth ground line, the black is a mains line L1; for 120vac the white is Neutral, but for 240vac it can be used for the split phase mains line L2 (but it should be wrapped with a red or black tape marker to indicate it is Line and not Neutral).

The other smaller wires with the various colors are not used for the AC supply voltage; it sounds like the vendor of your EVSE may have just used the same cable as that used for the Output line to the J1772 connector to the car, for the Input cable (cheap solution if he already had it, although a waste of extra unusable copper wire).

Someone else may know about this--seems there may be a temperature sensor embedded in the connector head that plugs in to the mains in the wall? That's the reason for all the extra wires.

There is a label on the back side, is it made by Panasonic?

The European EVSE at least has a temperature sensor embedded in the wall connector plug, so you can't replace it with any other plug. It could very well be the same for the US EVSE too.

Back