Store solar directly on Nissan Leaf 62kWh?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuzullo

[MOD: fixed title to 62kWh instead of 62kW]

Is it possible to store the energy produced by the solar panels, directly in the car? Or do we always need a set of extra batteries between solar and the car? Most systems I find online convert Solar DC to AC and then connect to the car. But since the EVs can also take DC, is there a device that allows a direct DC connection to transfer solar from the MPPT to the car?

I have o ly seen one Volt owner charge to the traction battery. It's much more complicated than going to secondary batteries.

Supposedly the Ionic 5 was to have a solar option, but I don't think it's coming to the US. Aptera is your best bet right now.

zuzullo said:
Is it possible to store the energy produced by the solar panels, directly in the car? Or do we always need a set of extra batteries between solar and the car? Most systems I find online convert Solar DC to AC and then connect to the car. But since the EVs can also take DC, is there a device that allows a direct DC connection to transfer solar from the MPPT to the car?

Voltage and current needs to be matched. Not an easy problem. Would be complex, and isn't likely to be a mass market item every, so would be expensive.

Bank of solar cells puts out a voltage, the car needs a different voltage to charge. So DC-DC conversion is needed. As the power available isn't constant, a battery would still be needed to at least cover the time needed to negotiate between the car and the charger a lower or higher current... A messy problem.

I use Myenergi products for that.

Check how Zappi works! It is not "directly" as you plug the panels to the car but it modulates the AC charge to meet the production of the solar inverter.
Not sure it would work in the US due to the 120-240V non sense.

Anyway, I highly recommend NOT using the wireless current measurement.

zuzullo said:

Yes, its possible and no it won't be cheap. The only way I have seen it done (not on a car) was the Solarrolla Van, a 2010 International E Star BEV. But there was no way to charge the OEM pack using the inconsistency of solar power so they installed a smaller 40 kwh LiCo pack that charged with the solar panels and the pack which could provide the steady voltage, would charge the OEM pack.

So yeah, it can be done but it won't be cheap.

gugusse said:
I use Myenergi products for that.

Check how Zappi works! It is not "directly" as you plug the panels to the car but it modulates the AC charge to meet the production of the solar inverter.
Not sure it would work in the US due to the 120-240V non sense.

Anyway, I highly recommend NOT using the wireless current measurement.

If the original question was concerning the use of solar energy "directly" to charge an EV. I believe dcbel is the only manufacturer (out of Canada) that has this type of functionality. Most "chargers" are actually charge controllers only for use with AC charging - at least that I've found. Several of this type in the US will prioritize solar energy to the EV is so desired - but assumes you are still on grid power. dcbel claims to charge with solar even off grid - with it's "blackout" capabilities. Their "DC" bidirectional energy capabilities also allows the Nissan Leaf to become a "powerwall" of sorts.

Maybe the original question can be clarified - and is important because many people have installed solar systems only to find out later that they are "grid tied" only and cannot support any solar energy to any other home/EV use if the grid goes down.

Back