User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:09 am

Have we confirmed yet (my suspicion) that L1 (120V/12A) does not require a pilot signal ?
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:20 pm

evnow wrote:
AndyH wrote:The AC wiring - for both L1 and L2 - runs directly from the AC source (120V outlet or 208-240VAC hard-line) thru the J1772 connector to the car's charger.
So how does max current setting work ?
The j1772 spec gives the 'overview' but doesn't define how any of the companies implement anything.

My guess is that the installer will configure the EVSE during installation - and set the max available current based on wiring/breakers/etc. Once the car's connected, the EVSE will modulate the pilot signal to tell the car what's available. The car's charger might want a 6.6kW charge rate, but will have to reduce its draw once it knows it's only got 13A to work with.

We'll see...

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Rat wrote:If I'm following all this (probably not) it has drifted from the thread title of the Level 1 emergency cord to mostly Level 2 charging specs and issues. My concern for the 120 cord is that I have seen statements on this forum that even the Level 1 charging may require its own dedicated circuit or socket. If that's true, then what good is it? The whole point of having it is for an emergency - i.e. you are NOT AT YOUR HOME when you need to charge. You roll into some motel or restaurant parking lot with virtually no juice but can pull up to the 120 socket near the sprinkler box or something. Can you safely charge there or not? If not, then why have the nominal capability? Why carry that extra 10 lb. cord, for that matter? We need some clear guidance on this.
This is the only US L1 cable for which I've seen hard specs: http://www.clippercreek.net/images/Clip ... ochure.pdf This device is designed for a 120V 15A connection.

These cables - because they're primarily intended for emergency or opportunity charging - should be as universal as possible. I expect that L1 will stay with the 'lowest common denominator' 12/13A draw from a 15A circuit.

User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Andy: Has ClipperCreek quoted you or published a price for this unit ?
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm

LEAFer wrote:Andy: Has ClipperCreek quoted you or published a price for this unit ?
Not yet. I sent them an email this morning asking for a price, asking if they may provide a 20A-capable cable, and asking if the portable L1 device(s) create the pilot signal. Andy

User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:48 pm

AndyH wrote:
LEAFer wrote:Andy: Has ClipperCreek quoted you or published a price for this unit ?
Not yet. I sent them an email this morning asking for a price, asking if they may provide a 20A-capable cable, and asking if the portable L1 device(s) create the pilot signal. Andy
I think it will provide a pilot signal, which needs to be an integral feature with the upgraded 20A version (pulling 16A) ... so might as well ask what "size" pilot signal is then provided, and whether the device has a selector switch to designate use at either 16A or 12A.
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

AndyH
Posts: 6388
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: San Antonio

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm

LEAFer wrote:
AndyH wrote:
LEAFer wrote:Andy: Has ClipperCreek quoted you or published a price for this unit ?
Not yet. I sent them an email this morning asking for a price, asking if they may provide a 20A-capable cable, and asking if the portable L1 device(s) create the pilot signal. Andy
I think it will provide a pilot signal, which needs to be an integral feature with the upgraded 20A version (pulling 16A) ... so might as well ask what "size" pilot signal is then provided, and whether the device has a selector switch to designate use at either 16A or 12A.
It's my understanding from reading the spec that the pilot signal is required even for the 12A EVSE. I'd like to get confirmation from a vendor however. I'll certainly pass-on the answers I receive.

User avatar
johnr
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 2:08 pm
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151
Location: Exeter, CA

Re: Q: 120V emergency cord

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Ever consider how the Clipper Creek logo resembles the Square D logo?

Image Image Image Image
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”