GRA

Re: All "Future" battery technology thread

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:04 pm

GCC:
Toyota EV with solid-state batteries: 10-minute full charge, prototype reportedly due in 2021
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ue-in-2021

Toyota hopes to be the first automaker to launch an electric car with solid-state batteries, aiming to unveil a prototype next year, ahead of a production launch relatively soon after that, Nikkei Asia reported Thursday.

The automaker expects electric cars powered by solid-state batteries to have more than twice the range of vehicles using current lithium-ion battery chemistry, with the ability to fully recharge in just 10 minutes, according to the report, which also said Toyota has over 1,000 patents related to solid-state batteries. . . .

The timetable discussed in the report is accelerated from what a top Toyota executive suggested just this summer. In an interview with Automotive News in July, Keiji Kaita, executive vice president of Toyota's powertrain division, said limited production of solid-state batteries would start in 2025. . . .

Toyota's always said they thought current (read Li-ion) battery tech wasn't good enough for the mass market consumer, and they've been doing R&D on solid-state batteries for over a decade accordingly. It does seem like we may be within 5 years or so of seeing the first solid-state batteries available in cars consumers can buy.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:09 am

I'm excited to see solid state batteries hit the streets. I do think that Toyota is going to have a hard time entering the EV market, though. They have no real experience building EVs - the latest RAV4 EV powertrain was purchased from Tesla. We have seen time and again that building a compelling EV is more than slapping an electric powertrain in a car.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

GRA

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Considering how unreliable the Tesla-supplied RAV4 BEV's powertrains was and Tesla's poor QC in general, and how Toyota believes in taking their time over new development so that their cars are generally very reliable, I'm far more confident of the reliability of any BEV they decide is ready to sell than I am of any Tesla.

Along that line, while I haven't done any counts this year due to Covid altering the traffic patterns and likely distribution, my impression is that the Prius Prime now ranks #2 behind the M3 among the number of PEVs I see locally. I haven't yet figured out how to I.D. RAV4 Primes, but as the number of them available this year is ludicrously less than the demand, I don't know if I've even seen one yet.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”