GRA

Re: All "Future" battery technology thread

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:04 pm

GCC:
Toyota EV with solid-state batteries: 10-minute full charge, prototype reportedly due in 2021
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... ue-in-2021

Toyota hopes to be the first automaker to launch an electric car with solid-state batteries, aiming to unveil a prototype next year, ahead of a production launch relatively soon after that, Nikkei Asia reported Thursday.

The automaker expects electric cars powered by solid-state batteries to have more than twice the range of vehicles using current lithium-ion battery chemistry, with the ability to fully recharge in just 10 minutes, according to the report, which also said Toyota has over 1,000 patents related to solid-state batteries. . . .

The timetable discussed in the report is accelerated from what a top Toyota executive suggested just this summer. In an interview with Automotive News in July, Keiji Kaita, executive vice president of Toyota's powertrain division, said limited production of solid-state batteries would start in 2025. . . .

Toyota's always said they thought current (read Li-ion) battery tech wasn't good enough for the mass market consumer, and they've been doing R&D on solid-state batteries for over a decade accordingly. It does seem like we may be within 5 years or so of seeing the first solid-state batteries available in cars consumers can buy.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:09 am

I'm excited to see solid state batteries hit the streets. I do think that Toyota is going to have a hard time entering the EV market, though. They have no real experience building EVs - the latest RAV4 EV powertrain was purchased from Tesla. We have seen time and again that building a compelling EV is more than slapping an electric powertrain in a car.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package) - sold
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

GRA

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:01 pm

Considering how unreliable the Tesla-supplied RAV4 BEV's powertrains was and Tesla's poor QC in general, and how Toyota believes in taking their time over new development so that their cars are generally very reliable, I'm far more confident of the reliability of any BEV they decide is ready to sell than I am of any Tesla.

Along that line, while I haven't done any counts this year due to Covid altering the traffic patterns and likely distribution, my impression is that the Prius Prime now ranks #2 behind the M3 among the number of PEVs I see locally. I haven't yet figured out how to I.D. RAV4 Primes, but as the number of them available this year is ludicrously less than the demand, I don't know if I've even seen one yet.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:03 am

IEVS:
FutureBridge Predicts Solid-State Battery Cost Will Match Lithium-Ion By 2025
https://insideevs.com/news/491713/solid ... e-in-2030/

. . . The prediction is that by 2030 we will start to see mass commercialization of vehicles equipped with SSBs, although it could probably happen sooner than that. Toyota (in partnership with Panasonic), for instance, has announced its intention to be the first automaker to sell an electric vehicle equipped with an SSB, promising a one charge range of 500 km and recharge time from flat to full of just 10 minutes - it has also stated that it will have a running prototype in 2021, but it did not give a clear time frame as to when it could be commercially available. . . .

One of the hottest debate topics among EV aficionados has to do with the unavoidable steady drop in battery capacity that lithium-ion packs exhibit over time. And since battery packs are so expensive, it would be ideal to keep them in usable condition for as long as possible. Toyota says it is aiming for its SSBs to have a lifespan of 30 years - by that it means they should still retain 90 percent of their original capacity after three decades of normal use. . . .

If and when Toyota or anyone else can hit the bolded performance and longevity goals at affordable prices, it'll be game over for LDV ICEs.

GRA

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:39 pm

GCR:
GM sees lithium-metal battery tech as a next step for more range, lower cost
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... lower-cost

. . . During a Washington Post Live virtual conference Thursday, GM president Mark Reuss announced the automaker will move to lithium-metal for its next-generation batteries, and is entering into a partnership with SolidEnergy Systems (SES) for development and production. GM was an early investor in SES, in 2015. . . .

GM first discussed lithium-metal batteries last March, showcased a lithium-metal battery cell as the next step after lithium-ion cells (and potentially before other solid-state cells arrive) as part of a press backgrounder on its electrification plans.

Two months later, GM battery boss Tim Grewe told Green Car Reports that twice the energy density of today's battery cells was possible, which would "easily enable 500-600-mile vehicles in the future."

GM also plans to use a wireless battery-management system in future vehicles, allowing it to substitute in the new type of battery without having to completely rethink its battery packs.

Many automakers are hunting for a battery breakthrough to address issues of range and cost, but few have committed to new tech. Volkswagen is also betting on lithium-metal, with partner QuantumScape, which claims its ceramic-electrolyte cells can are safer and can accommodate an 80% charge in less than 15 minutes

Return to “Batteries & Charging”