AndyH

Re: Marine grade Power Connectors

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:19 pm

It's worse than that, Planet -- we want to fix while some are spinning themselves up about hypotheticals in which no grandchildren are harmed...

Bravo EVDRIVER, palmermd, DeaneG, and planet4ever for your voices of reason.

And thank you Nissan and AV for bringing us a much needed 'toaster'. There will be at least one day between now at about 2025 when I'll need that EVSE to just work even when I'm thinking about something else.

johnr
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:55 am

I think garygid has a very good point, this rule making the EVSE required to be hardwired seems to go beyond safety and it just doesn't make sense in light of other countries and applications. If it was such a safety hazard, why aren't dryers and electric ranges hard-wired? It doesn't make a bit of sense, and it really is an inconvenience to require an electrician to install equipment before I can properly charge my car.
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:32 am

My gripe is that it has become ILLEGAL to charge the EV reasonably quickly, but safely, carefully, and responsily, almost anywhere.

That is a totally unnecessary, oppressive restriction on EV use.

It is somewhat similar to requiring any toaster, hair dryer, microwave, or space heater to be "installed" (for $1000 each) and hardwired at one location in the house because it is not safe (with the typical, existing plugs) to plug them very often ... and they can cause deaths, especially to short, blind people.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:48 am

garygid wrote:My gripe is that it has become ILLEGAL to charge the EV reasonably quickly, but safely, carefully, and responsily, almost anywhere.

That is a totally unnecessary, oppressive restriction on EV use.

It is somewhat similar to requiring any toaster, hair dryer, microwave, or space heater to be "installed" (for $1000 each) and hardwired at one location in the house because it is not safe (with the typical, existing plugs) to plug them very often ... and they can cause deaths, especially to short, blind people.
First of all it is not illegal to charge your EV at home, you just need to install the appropriate EVSE. There is no oppressive restriction.

Grandma probably does not have a gas pump at her house either. It's just ridiculous that you can't fill up your tank at her house. Look, you can fill up your Leaf anywhere you like with the 120v trickle charge cable. If you need something more, then I'd be willing to bet grandma lives near a Nissan dealer, so just stop in and get a quicker charge there on your way home.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:20 am

palmermd wrote: First of all it is not illegal to charge your EV at home, you just need to install the appropriate EVSE. There is no oppressive restriction.

Grandma probably does not have a gas pump at her house either. It's just ridiculous that you can't fill up your tank at her house. Look, you can fill up your Leaf anywhere you like with the 120v trickle charge cable. If you need something more, then I'd be willing to bet grandma lives near a Nissan dealer, so just stop in and get a quicker charge there on your way home.
Thank you.

You know, as EV (future) owners we might want to think twice about basing our travels plans on imposing on friends and family with our stupid plugs. There are some social aspects to think about here. Do you really want your friends eying their next electric bill wondering if you are the reason it is so high?

Besides, if grandma's dryer is in the basement are you going to tote a 75' 10-4 cable with you? Then start feeding it through windows or open doors? Maybe down the stairs? (we haven't even talked about tripping hazards) And what if grandma is drying a load of clothes when you appear for a visit?

Unless your goal is to have her cut you out of her will...
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

EVDRIVER

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:01 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:
palmermd wrote: First of all it is not illegal to charge your EV at home, you just need to install the appropriate EVSE. There is no oppressive restriction.

Thank you.

You know, as EV (future) owners we might want to think twice about basing our travels plans on imposing on friends and family with our stupid plugs. There are some social aspects to think about here. Do you really want your friends eying their next electric bill wondering if you are the reason it is so high?

Besides, if grandma's dryer is in the basement are you going to tote a 75' 10-4 cable with you? Then start feeding it through windows or open doors? Maybe down the stairs? (we haven't even talked about tripping hazards) And what if grandma is drying a load of clothes when you appear for a visit?

Unless your goal is to have her cut you out of her will...

Everyone is different, I have charged at friends homes many times and it's not as if it's a daily event. Also, my friends charge at my home as well as any EV person who may get stranded if I'm available, this is common in the EV community. The big win is parking garages with free charging, of course this is not such a benefit with the Leafs small 3.3 kw charger, laughable by modern full-sized EV standards.

garygid
Gold Member

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:11 am

She is in a coma at a rest home, so she does not drive much any more.

The rest home said that we could plug in easily, and were excited to help us make the trip gas-less.

Basically, there are no basements in CA.

And, dryers are often in, or near the garage (or other outdoor entrance).

And, yes, for these trips, and commuting, carry one 25-foot and one 100-foot 30-amp extension cords.
2010 Prius

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:40 pm

palmermd wrote:The folks in India don't seem to have any problems working with 240vac.
In India, people also die from falling off the TOP of busses. A somewhat different cultural view of "acceptable risk". :|
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

AndyH

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:59 pm

johnr wrote:I think garygid has a very good point, this rule making the EVSE required to be hardwired seems to go beyond safety and it just doesn't make sense in light of other countries and applications. If it was such a safety hazard, why aren't dryers and electric ranges hard-wired? It doesn't make a bit of sense, and it really is an inconvenience to require an electrician to install equipment before I can properly charge my car.
Except...the National Electric Code and the UL doesn't apply to other countries. We're trying to force our systems to pick and choose from other systems. [Scratch that. Folks are just complaining - they're really not doing anything...]

Having lived in Europe and S. Korea, I can speak from the heart when I suggest that if someone wants to go by German or UK electric rules, they can get on a jet and be there in a LOT less time and $$$ than it would take to change the NEC. Let me know before you go - I'll send you my assortment of plugs from England and Germany. ;)

garygid
Gold Member

Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I will just continue to lobby for constructive change here in this country, thanks.
2010 Prius

Return to “Batteries & Charging”