SOC Gauge update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, not sure what the push back is about, because i posted the EXACT same concerns and my post was like 2nd or something. i just checked and the OP has not been edited. it only states goals, ideas, etc. he just wants clarification and the OP gives very little of that

i would assume is some sort of "Canview" interface module with a simple LCD display that allow us to view user friendly info, etc. it also mentions being able to set SOC levels? now if i can set to charge to 90%, then i would gladly pay the $200, but more so because its from here than i would pay some outside vendor.

it is this kind of innovation that will make the Leaf work and i am more than willing to support it, but it has to provide a service i want. my Prius was the same way. Toyota did a great job of providing us the bare minimum as far as driving status of the car. aftermarket products immediately cured that and i strongly suspect, drove product innovation for the 2012 Ford Focus with its computer controlled front radiator louvers.

i guess Ford just wanted to "one up" all those "front grill foam-stuffing radiator Prius fools"

Well I (evidentially wrongly) assumed most people knew what a "gauge" was, and they know what "SOC" is. I also wrongly assumed everyone here followed the other "My findings on the can bus" thread.

A gauge is any sort of apparatus that can convey information to a person.
SOC is the state of charge of the battery. It is independent of the range that the car calculates and provides a more consistent idea of how much energy is left in the battery using a 0 to 100% indication.

I said that the charge to n% is a possibility. I also understand that the inclusion of this feature may make/break decisions and that's fine, I just don't have that answer yet.

This thread was just intended as a general updates, not a "everyone has to decide now with just the info I gave". I appreciate everyone who indicated they were "in" and hopefully answered questions for those that needed more info, though some info I just don't have at this point.

That really doesn't help anyway because later he changed it. He's not sure what all would be included.

huh? I don't remember changing anything.

In any case, it looks like I let this play out too long and now there's some competition. I've already shared what I know with these guys since forking out $10k right now isn't something I'm looking to do. So we'll see how it plays out. The more people that are on it, the faster a solution can be provided.

Mahalo everyone, I now understand and would probably also like to buy. After driving for the few days that I have had the car. I now see what everyone is talking about.
The mileage gauge is all over the place. I had one spot driving home from Costco today where the mileage gauge went from 83 to 74 in probably 3/4 of a mile. So I am in. Again thanks for educating me.

Somebody was driving his/her LEAF today with the SOC displayed in real time (in big characters) on the screen of his laptop.

Only takes CAN-to-RS232 hardware (& firmware), an RS232-to-USB "adapter cable", and software in the laptop.

Of course, I think turbo was planning a ... much more compact embodyment! :D

I am a Leaf owner in the UK and so I wondered if there were any issues with using this proposed device on UK Leafs?

If not then I would leap at the chance to get accurate SOC % info and to set the charge % to something other than the 80% or 100% would also be great. Not bothered by the nag screen though.

Please count me in. :)

I am involved in the UK forum LeafTalk.co.uk and so I will post on there and see if any other UK Leaf owners would be interested.

Obviously there would be an additional shipping cost to the UK but if I could get several orders from the UK and bulk order as a single batch then shipping might come down so as I hear of other UK takers I shall post here so you can track numbers.

So for now - 1 from UK (me!)

This is very exciting and I hope you get enough takers to go ahead.

Paul

garygid said:
Remember that this does not make the LEAF's SOC any more accurate, it just lets you see, in finer resolution, the number that the LEAF has calculated.
Aside from more detail (200 steps, rather than 12 bar) I believe the main advantage is that you get the Linear representation, rather than the 12 "bins" of unknown size and hysteresis that the bars represent.

Exactly! And for those with the April and later update, data about the "hidden" charge below the last bar...

GroundLoop said:
garygid said:
Remember that this does not make the LEAF's SOC any more accurate, it just lets you see, in finer resolution, the number that the LEAF has calculated.
Aside from more detail (200 steps, rather than 12 bar) I believe the main advantage is that you get the Linear representation, rather than the 12 "bins" of unknown size and hysteresis that the bars represent.

This is something we will consider if a "charge to N%" feature is available. We have found that charging to 80% is too high if we are about to descend the mountain we live on. Thank you for the updates.

DarkStar said:
turbo2ltr said:
There is no downside for them accepting all projects (within reason) so I don't understand their reasoning. This project is very in line with some of the other projects that were accepted..

So now, as a web dev, a kickstarter clone that does not discriminate is on my "future projects" list.. lol
Welcome to the club! They've denied every project I've submitted to them without rhyme or reason (other than the boilerplate). I really wonder what the secret is! :D

That's really a shame. I've been involved with two kick starter projects and to be honest didn't even realize that there was really a chance they could have denied us. A kickstarter aimed at tech. type ideas would be very neat.

+1

Is there a way to the visibility of this project? I found it more or less by accident and apparently there were no preorders in the last 30 days.

See the new SOC-Meter threads in the new "LEAF CANBus" sub-forum.

The recent SOC action is there, including a very-soon (just needs good assembly instructions) SOC-Meter Kit ... and probably a finished SOC-Meter as well.

Back