No More Range Anxiety: Nissan Tests Mobile Electric-Car Char

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyAmes

Pretty cool idea to have a rolling Mobile level3 CHAdeMO equipped tow truck.
Wouldn't it be great to book one of these at Leaf gatherings.

The last 6 comments on this MotorTrend article generally dis the whole utility and concept of EV's.
Must be the common mentality of the MotorTrend readers.

http://wot.motortrend.com/range-anxiety-nissan-tests-mobile-electric-car-charging-service-84561.html
[images] No More Range Anxiety: Nissan Tests Mobile Electric-Car Charging
Service by Jake Holmes June 7 2011 Source: Nissan

[image
http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2011/06/nissan-leaf-mobile-charger2-623x389.jpg
nissan-leaf-mobile-charger2]

It’s no secret that electric cars like the Nissan Leaf offer a seriously limited driving distances between charges, especially if driven at high speeds or with all the accessories running. Nissan thinks they have a solution in the form of a mobile electric-car charging station to aid stranded motorists.

Developed in partnership with the Japan Automobile Federation (effectively Japan’s equivalent of AAA), Nissan’s plan is for a fleet of roadside assistance trucks equipped with special chargers that can quickly recharge a stranded electric car. Nissan says this will help improve public perception of electric cars as a charging infrastructure is developed, by providing a “safety net” in case drivers run out of power. Nissan and the JAF plan to begin a trial version of the service near Kanagawa,
Japan later this year, with the goal of putting mobile charging vehicles into more widespread use in the future. The project, “will build confidence in EV use and contribute toward achieving a society with low carbon emissions,” said
Hitoshi Kawaguchi, Nissan vice president of external and governmental affairs. Would you feel safer driving an all-electric vehicle if a service was available to give you an extra boost when the battery ran out? ...

6 Comments

HEHE
Posted on: June 7, 2011 11:20 pmReply
When a car company can make a electric vehicle that gets 0-60 in 7.0 to 7.5 sec, 500 miles on a charge, then I’ll be intrested till then its all a joke! NEXT!
Jack
Posted on: June 7, 2011 8:02 pmReply
Even though this is a nice first effort for Nissan, this just proves the Chevy Volt is a better idea. Even though the motor that charges the battery after the first forty miles produces emissions, it doesn’t leave you stranded on the side of the road like the Leaf does.
chillybean
Posted on: June 7, 2011 6:59 pmReply
if the recharging truck runs on gas, that negates the purpose of having an all electric vehicle
smelly pete
Posted on: June 7, 2011 4:03 pmReply
A truck with a big generator on the back of it is not an acceptable solution to the problem
J.D
Posted on: June 7, 2011 2:37 pmReply
Doesn’t fix it just try’s to cover it up. Plus it’s still just as bad, embarrassing, and stupid to be left on the side of the road for lack of fuel in this case battery, even if they can help
kk
Posted on: June 7, 2011 2:19 pmReply
The Leaf doesn’t offer enough range for most motorists.

It is amazingly frustrating that these same people that make these negative comments wouldn't say that a Corvette is a bad vehicle because you can't carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, or that a Ford F150 is a bad vehicle because it won't go from zero to 60 in less than six seconds. The LEAF is built for a particular type of driving and yet we can't get that message through some very thick skulls.

ERG4ALL said:
It is amazingly frustrating that these same people that make these negative comments wouldn't say that a Corvette is a bad vehicle because you can't carry a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, or that a Ford F150 is a bad vehicle because it won't go from zero to 60 in less than six seconds. The LEAF is built for a particular type of driving and yet we can't get that message through some very thick skulls.

they are haters and they hate what they dont support.

When a car company can make a electric vehicle that gets 0-60 in 7.0 to 7.5 sec, 500 miles on a charge, then I’ll be intrested till then its all a joke! NEXT!

I am still waiting for a gas car that can do the same. I can only get about 350 miles of it if i am lucky.

Try a TDI. My friend gets over 600 miles on a tank from his...

rainnw said:
I am still waiting for a gas car that can do the same. I can only get about 350 miles of it if i am lucky.

rainnw said:

+1
I get about 300 miles (city), 360 (highway), however the "fuel range" usually tells me I have in excess of 400 miles after filling up. So I guess my ICE car is a joke...

tps said:
rainnw said:

+1
I get about 300 miles (city), 360 (highway), however the "fuel range" usually tells me I have in excess of 400 miles after filling up. So I guess my ICE car is a joke...

Diesel engines typically do better than their EPA ratings. My X5 Diesel is rated 26 MPG on the freeway but I can easily do 30+. It also goes 0-60 in 7.0 seconds. A single tank can easily give you 500+ freeway miles. 335D does even better. It's rated at 36 MPG on the freeway but I personally haven't driven one. It does 0-60 in 6 seconds. There are several choices out there that meet the above criteria.

Back