Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
I like the L1, L2 and L3 nomenclature.. its easy to understand.
Not really. It blurs the huge chasm between L1/L2 on the one hand and the so-called "L3" on the other.

• L1/L2 are AC connections with a charger inside the car.
  • QC/etc. are DC connections with an external charger.

• L1/L2 use set voltages that the vehicle must honor.
  • QC/etc. uses a control signal for the vehicle to tell the external charger what voltage it must provide.

• L1/L2 external equipment varies in size from a small brick to a large wall clock.
  • QC/etc. external equipment is more typically the size of a refrigerator.

• L1/L2 external equipment costs from $500 to $1500 dollars (plus installation in some cases).
  • QC/etc. external equipment costs from $15,000 to $40,000 dollars (definitely plus installation).

Didn't I read here somewhere that the SAE is now proposing a new definition for L3 that would be much more like L1 and L2, but at a higher voltage? Now, that would be a logical definition for it -- though whether a useful one, I don't know.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Didn't I read here somewhere that the SAE is now proposing a new definition for L3 that would be much more like L1 and L2, but at a higher voltage?
If you travel in the wayback machine with me you will find that is the original definition for L3, at least according to the SAE Electric Vehicle Conductive Charge Coupler document from 2001 and possibly in the document since 1996. Its a good read if you are interested in this sort of thing.

From http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/stakeholders/infrastructure/finalsaej1772.doc
Code:
EVSE Type    EVSE Input   EVSE Output  EVSE—Vehicle Control Method  Charger Location  Power Max.
AC Level 2   208-240 Vac  208-240 Vac  J1772 Pilot                  Vehicle           11.5 kW
AC Level 3   208-240 Vac  208-240 Vac  J1772 Pilot                  Vehicle           96 kW
DC Charging  208-600 V    0-600 Vdc    J1772 and J2293              EVSE              240 kW

One would think concerning how far back some of these documents go that the SAE would have had this all figured out by now. Instead we are concerned about the existing CHAdeMO standard installed on our vehicles becoming obsolete in the US.

Back