Buttons below driver's vent on dash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So theres 6 dark buttons and 2 light grey ones, I wonder what they are?

traction control?
charging on?
charging off?
pop open the charging mini-hood?
pop open the regular hood (windshield washer fluid, etc)?
?

I ran across this photo of the dash, and it now looks like there are 10 buttons: 4 grey ones in a "square" on top; 6 black ones in two rows underneath:

bv8BI6

That's a LOT of buttons. I wish that one of the test drivers last week would have commented on their functions. "It's a mystery."

Notice the "car status" display with a door open.

Nice, and inexpensive to do with software if one has "display screens" instead of fixed "instruments". Also, easy to upgrade and fix bugs, if an easy "upgrade" ability is designed in.

Although the 2010 Prius can be software-upgraded in many areas, it is (mostly), except for Nav, not easy (requires a Dealer service). Better, would be downloads via a USB thumb drive.

garygid said:
Nice, and inexpensive to do with software if one has "display screens" instead of fixed "instruments". Also, easy to upgrade and fix bugs, if an easy "upgrade" ability is designed in.
Which is one of the ways Toyota screwed up the gen III Prius. No good sized Climate control or Radio controls on a decent sized touch screen (plus screen ONLY if you get Nav now). Instead you are stuck with a bunch of little mostly non-tactile buttons way below 'eyes on the road' level and you have to look at them to see when you get to the setting you want. My in-laws have one. I'll drive my 2004 until it dies or they come up with a good PHEV Prius that makes me swallow my disdain for the ergonomic backslide. If they haven't got that or a good choice EV when the '04 dies (104K miles, no problems), I'll steal the wife's '06 :)

One of the Prius ergonomic things I wish EVERY automaker would do is STOP HIDING THE DISPLAYS BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL! Look at the Gen II Prius - everything is just below eye level, including the touch screen, not overly busy and not hidden by the wheel. The screen on the Leaf is too low and appears too small. And they have hidden a lot of the 'use frequently' displays behind the wheel.

Re: the Leaf. I am curious and a potential buyer as it would be a great 2nd car for my family's driving needs. However, they won't be seen in Vermont for several years, I'll just have to watch. As such, I'll be a sometime reader, probably not posting much. By the time we can buy one here Nissan will probably have passed the tax credit limit on sales so we will be screwed. They will have to do better than a sub-compact for $32K once there is no tax credit.

Yanquetino said:
That's a LOT of buttons. I wish that one of the test drivers last week would have commented on their functions. "It's a mystery."

A question I've asked the gal I know of who is attending the event to settle for us.

In one of the most recent pictures we've seen I could make out that one of the black switches has a rotating knob with something on it (numbers?). If I had to make a wild guess, I would go with fog lamp intensity maybe? I know that some European cars with motorized headlamp leveling have a similar switch. But since I've seen no mention of that feature before on the Leaf, I can't bring myself to mention it as a possibility.

switch.jpg

Well, there would probably be buttons for the bluetooth, stereo, and cruise control. Too bad we don't have a larger photo. I found a huge photo but it was from the earlier version with fewer buttons.

evnow said:
I count more than 40 buttons there in total ... hmmmm.
Well, it is an electric car. Gotta figure there'd be buttons.
Seriously though, I think they operate the winch, tire inflator, ejector seat, and movie projector.

Back