Range Chart

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonewild said:
I drive at 62 average and my RT to work is 76 miles and I get home with 9 miles or more. After just hitting low battery warning.

Yes, you can beat 6 miles/bar at 60. Trying to keep the formulas simple and easy to remember for those of us that aren't technically adept.

So;

7/50
6/60
5/70

Etc

One error I noted: 10.5 bars appears as if it should actually be 9.5 bars... Also, anyone have any idea what speed City and Worst is? I'm guessing around 45 and 85 respectively... Best should be around 38, theoretically...

you are correct. it should be 9.5 bars...since an 80% (83%) charge now yields only 9.5 bars of charge. the 10th bar drops too fast to be a full bar.

mogur said:
One error I noted: 10.5 bars appears as if it should actually be 9.5 bars... Also, anyone have any idea what speed City and Worst is? I'm guessing around 45 and 85 respectively...

My guess, from my chart, is that "best" is 38 mph. Worst, I don't know.

Here is my take. Note that OP's idea was simplicity - not accuracy. So, you will see things like losing more miles between 50 & 60 compared to 60 & 70.

BTW, I removed any range in turtle mode at higer speeds. You can't go that fast in turtle mode.

LeafRangeBars.png

I asked this question earlier in the thread without response, so I'll try again: I assume these estimates are based on the "D" setting and not on ECO mode. Is this assumption correct? If so, how much extra range can be squeezed out of ECO mode?

oakwcj said:
I asked this question earlier in the thread without response, so I'll try again: I assume these estimates are based on the "D" setting and not on ECO mode. Is this assumption correct? If so, how much extra range can be squeezed out of ECO mode?
D & Eco don't matter much - what matters to a certain extent is whether you are being careful with acceleration & braking. May be Eco mode helps there somewhat, personally I've not found any difference in m/kwh I get.

evnow said:
oakwcj said:
D & Eco don't matter that in - what matters to a certain extent is whether you are being careful with acceleration & braking. May be Eco mode helps there somewhat, personally I've not found any difference in m/kwh I get.

I think of it like this: ECO will maximize your range if you have little idea of how to do it yourself. If you already know how to maximize an EV's range, D works just as well and will get the same results.

oakwcj said:

Sorry, I probably missed it, as I spent the weekend on a white water rafting trip.

Jimmy gave an excellent answer, and the only thing I'll add is that ECO also cuts back the energy used for climate control. There really isn't anything in ECO that you can't do manually to save energy.

ECO does a good job on regen, so about the only time I use ECO is on a downhill. Of course, I can duplicate this by applying the brakes (but not so much brakes that I engage the real brakes).

I use mostly ECO because I like to be able to go from power to coast to moderate regen using only one pedal. I also use it to limit the amount of Climate Control since I don't have a need for much here in L.A. (I'd love a fan-only economy setting without having to modulate the temperature control to effectively get it). It may not be the most efficient method but I'm lazy, not trying for the last M/Kwh, and it works well for me.

Newbie thought based on your chart and variations....

My take delivery freeway run from Fontana Nissan to Home Base is about 65 miles. It would seem that if I run at no faster than 65 will be there with some small reserve--starting with full charge and fully inflated tires?

I guess if I want to make sure I make it with some to spare, to make the trip in rush hour traffic and anticipate traffic flow. :)

Oh, and thanks for the charts... I find them most useful for making and running a plan.

My run was about 67 miles from Fontana to home, including a side stop for lunch. I ran mostly on Cruise Control at about 63-65 and arrived home with about 18 miles and three bars showing (old firmware then) so you should not have a problem.

JimSouCal said:
My take delivery freeway run from Fontana Nissan to Home Base is about 65 miles. It would seem that if I run at no faster than 65 will be there with some small reserve--starting with full charge and fully inflated tires?

evnow said:
BTW, I removed any range in turtle mode at higer speeds. You can't go that fast in turtle mode.

Thanks for catching that! I threw this together kind of quickly, since I was leaving town for the weekend, and my wife was driving the LEAF.

I like your contrasting colors, although I'd change the last two bars to blue to match the actual fuel gauge.

Jimmydreams said:
evnow said:
oakwcj said:
D & Eco don't matter that in - what matters to a certain extent is whether you are being careful with acceleration & braking. May be Eco mode helps there somewhat, personally I've not found any difference in m/kwh I get.

I think of it like this: ECO will maximize your range if you have little idea of how to do it yourself. If you already know how to maximize an EV's range, D works just as well and will get the same results.
I have to disagree, Eco mode will actually decrease your range in many situations. The slowing you recieve when in ECO mode may force you to use power that you would not have to use if you were in D, or N. I want to call ECO Retard mode, in that it retards your performance. The regen you get from ECO is great when you are going to stop, but it is destructive if you are trying to maintain speed. You will never regain the same amount of energy you are using to get up to speed, but eco mode trys to regain as much as possible whenever it can. In D the retardation is not as great, so many will see better performance while using the same amount of energy. Watch the energy usage graph and use less than 20KWH when starting in D, gain speed to 40, and then go to Neutral and see how far you can go for free. If you are on a slight downhill grade, you may even gain speed, (In ECO or D you will slow down unless you use energy) which you can then regain when you need to slow or stop. Using your foot to duplicate a Neutral is almost impossible. Try the same thing in ECO and I think you will see the difference, and start using ECO only for extra slowing power and regen. A light foot in D is pretty easy to do, and a whole lot more fun to drive. I use all three modes rather than trying to one foot it.

Back