eVgo Charging Stations ... a pricing strategy gone wrong

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They need to offer a 4th plan, for those that charge with 120V at home and want to use the L2 and L3 chargers away from home. I you want an L2 charger at home then the complete plan is good deal.

eVgo has stated that they have no intention on doing a pay per use plan, unfortunately. And for many people that have already gotten a home charger these plans are really not worth it. But for people such as me that has not gotten one, it could be a decent deal.

A couple of things to add since the last post:

Deal with HILCO is going well, so that should be an additional supplier to help out the southern DFW people.

In eVgo's contract, if you purchase the more expensive plans (mobile or complete) that have a cost of unlimted use of public chargers, this additional cost (over the 50 for the home charger) will not be billed until they have completed their first phase of rollout, 70 public level 2/3 chargers, which is expected ~August 2011. So thats good news for people that didn't want to pay for a plan that has one charger (there is only one currently)

After the expired 3 year contract, the charger is paid off so they will be offering new plans after the contract

The charger is AV's charger, but its the more expensive one (the one that has the wireless capabilities)

If you purchase the most expensive (complete plan) that includes electricity cost, it only pays for "off-peak" electricity usage, which is stated in their contract from 8pm to noon the next day and all the weekends. The charger will be programed to only turn on after 8, but you can still manually turn in on via web or just on the charger itself

All-in-all, its not a bad deal. I do wish they did a price per usage option, but I guess they figured that wasn't sustainable at this point with so few EVs out. My wife and I decided to go with them for a few reasons:

- Yes the Blink ECOtality evse are cheaper, but as my wife said, "they are butt ugly" and prefers the eVgo (AV) charger look. That and the cost spread onver three years gives us more downpayment on the leaf, which ends up cheaper over the entire cost.
- The electricity usage, calcuated pay is actually a savings versus just paying without the plan
- Access to the Level 3 chargers is a big perk for us. ECOtality is supposed to be adding them here to, but considering the first priority is the EV project people in CA, and they still don't have Level 3 rollout, I am assuming Texas will lag with their rollout for a few more years.
- Being in the southern DFW area (midlothian) and having most friends/family in plano/friso/allen areas, we can visit them (which we do often) utilizing a stop at a level 3 is very nice. In addition, my wife's work moved farther north 1 month ago :evil: , putting her out of the ranger for the Leaf :evil: :evil: . But with the level 3 she can still get back home since her work refuses to put even a level 1 charger for her.

I have developed a good relationship with the people at eVgo (a lot has to due with securing HILCO as a provider), so if yall have more specific question for them, I can ask them or help answer them myself.

Any new information on EVGO? Has anyone talked with them or subscribed? I came out with slightly different figures that the first post in this thread. Assumptions:
- I figure $2 for a full recharge on average
- You have a long commute and have to recharge fully every day (20 days or so a month)
- You get to keep the dock after 3 years

$2 * 20 days * 12 months * 3 years = $1440
cost of dock via aerovironment = $2000 (possible $1000 tax credit here)
Your 3 year costs = $3440 - $1000 = $2440

$89 * 12 months * 3 years = $3204
EVGO costs = $3204 - $2440 = $764 ($21/mo for EVGO station usage)

If you don't get the keep the dock and decide to drop the plan after 3 years then it is not so nice. If for some reason you cannot get the $1000 tax credit the deal is even better. Taxes not included in calculations so that may change things a bit.

The intangible benefits are:
- EVGO will repair any problems with the charger (right?)
- Better dock than the standard one? (someone said so in this thread)
- Access to their charging stations whenever you need to
- Spread out the cost of the dock interest-free (as opposed to rolling it into your car loan)

We are just starting to evaluate this so any feedback or real-world experience with EVGO is welcome!

SierraQ said:
Any new information on EVGO? Has anyone talked with them or subscribed? I came out with slightly different figures that the first post in this thread. Assumptions:
- I figure $2 for a full recharge on average
- You have a long commute and have to recharge fully every day (20 days or so a month)
- You get to keep the dock after 3 years

$2 * 20 days * 12 months * 3 years = $1440
cost of dock via aerovironment = $2000 (possible $1000 tax credit here)
Your 3 year costs = $3440 - $1000 = $2440

$89 * 12 months * 3 years = $3204
EVGO costs = $3204 - $2440 = $764 ($21/mo for EVGO station usage)

If you don't get the keep the dock and decide to drop the plan after 3 years then it is not so nice. If for some reason you cannot get the $1000 tax credit the deal is even better. Taxes not included in calculations so that may change things a bit.

The intangible benefits are:
- EVGO will repair any problems with the charger (right?)
- Better dock than the standard one? (someone said so in this thread)
- Access to their charging stations whenever you need to
- Spread out the cost of the dock interest-free (as opposed to rolling it into your car loan)

We are just starting to evaluate this so any feedback or real-world experience with EVGO is welcome!

- Ok for the cost of electricity, I went a little more with 25 days, basically assuming you will do some driving over the weekend but at half the rate. There is alot of assumptions there so take that as you will. The cost you proposed assumes only work related travel

- For the cost of AV dock+AV installation, the standard is $2200, only 30% (it was reduced for 2011 taxes) can be used for tax credit.
If you use the "cash and carry" method the dock is $1000 plus whatever a local electrician installs it for.

- AV covers their equipment for 3 years and their installation for 3 years (if you use them). If you use the cash and carry method, if you need repairs you have to mail the unit to them, if you use their installation, repairs are onsite. eVgo covers the unitl and installation (onsite repairs) for the life of your plan

- The dock with eVgo is AV's advanced dock, which has wireless capabilities, utility connections, smartgrid stuff, etc. The AV one is a standard "dumb" charger. The benefits from AV's advanced dock is similar to the Blink dock.

- Yes you will have access to all their public charging. In their contract you sign, they actuall say you won't be charged for the mobile plan use ($30 per month) until 70 units are installed in the DFW are (50 for houston I think). They expect this by August 2011. So if you go with a $79 or $89 plan, $30 should be knocked off until enough chargers are open.

- Yes the cost is spread out over a longer period of time versus either an upfront out of pocket cost or rolling into the car (with added interest). It should be noted that techincally eVgo owns the EVSE, you never will, unless you use their buyout option after the 3 year term is up. I did a great walk-though of what I considered all the available EVSE options for Texas people (especially those in Houston and Dallas) on the Texas Forum...here is the link:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=329&start=550

Both my wife and I cruched and found the ability to QC so she can actually take the leaf to work 2 times a week more the offset any addition cost variants.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that a Texas-based energy company wants to rip off EV owners.
Why would they treat us any differently than their ICE customers.
Where are the stocks and pillories?
or the tar and feathers?

honestly, for what they offer I don't think its as much of a rip-off as a first knee-jerk reaction. You have to consider what they are offering. Again, some people may not need the extra value, and if thats the case, then they are not-worth it, but if you utilize all they are offering, its a pretty good deal:

- No upfront cost for an EVSE and no "interest" accumulated on one
- Full warranty for the life of the EVSE and installation
- Access to a proposed massive Level 3 charging network
- Electricity paid for
- Advanced EVSE and ability for future upgrade

Obviously, if you don't need/use some or most of these benefits, then you won't get benefit from their cost into the plan. Such circumstances include you have cheap electricity or get to charge at work, you don't expect to repair your EVSE, you don't need the level 3 charging network, advanced EVSE is not needed or you don't have plans to upgrade, you have the out of pocket money to pay for an EVSE and installation without even blinking.

Again, every situation is different. For my wife and I, access to the DC charger allows her to get to work and back with the leaf, letting me take her car to work, resulting in 50 miles of saving in her car, which averages about 20+ mpg (2.5 gallons) @ premium fuel (conservative 4 dollars a gallon) = 10 dollars per switch she takes the leaf. 8 Times a month (which we said twice a week) = 80 dollars in savings, which is the total cost of the Mobile ($79) dollar plan. Its definetely a benefit for us.

I honestly believe their start off high cost is a direct result of the Level 3 chargers being installed. Considering 20k a pop and putting 70 in one metro area, you are really banking on less than 100 people to really use these, so there must be a way for a company to make a profit (no company gives away stuff for free). When you consider that amount of investment, their prices seem fair.

Herm said:
They need to offer a 4th plan, for those that charge with 120V at home and want to use the L2 and L3 chargers away from home. I you want an L2 charger at home then the complete plan is good deal.

A boycott might make them change their business model or at least add some options for people who don't want to rent their chargers from EVGO. But I guess some people are going with EVGO though for the life of me I can't figure out why.

Guess I will stick with using Chargepoint stations for now.

my current plan is to at least stick with them for 3 years (since it would be monetarily benefical to me). After those three years I can re-evaluate the situation. Will I need the Level 3 chargers anymore? Will other companies push level 3 out here for a pay per use? Is there a significantly better EVSE that I can change to? These are the questions I will have to answer 3 years from now. At least I do have the out to buy the charger from them. Or they can offer plans that are cheaper (i.e. since we would have been paying into the system for awhile). I may end up getting burned, but thats the price for an early adpoter.

I also have a chargepoint account as well, but they have stated that they will only do Level 2 chargers for the public. This doesn't help if my wife or myself has to wait 1-2 hours to charge enough to get back home from work or a trip. Maybe in 3 years level 2 will be at every parking lot, but as of now, its only a few and its only useful if you are actually shopping/working at the place. Stopping off to charge and wait for 2 hours to come home from work is quite different than 20 minutes.

Is EVGO taking the tax credit for charging equipment and then depreciating the equipment over the 3 years allowed for rent to own equipment by the IRS and then selling it back to people who have rented it or renting that same equipment further? If people really start signing up it is a brilliant money making idea for EVGO, basically the equipment is all but paid for by the tax credit then +2 years of gravy. If the customer cancels they are on the hook for enough to cover the remainder of the equipment cost.

Pipcecil said:
my current plan is to at least stick with them for 3 years (since it would be monetarily benefical to me). After those three years I can re-evaluate the situation. Will I need the Level 3 chargers anymore? Will other companies push level 3 out here for a pay per use? Is there a significantly better EVSE that I can change to? These are the questions I will have to answer 3 years from now. At least I do have the out to buy the charger from them.

The sales guy at EVGO tried to tell me the same thing about upgrading the "charger" and such. It is complete bunk, the EVSE isn't a charger, the charger is in the car.

In 3 years there will hopefully be better battery technology. The EVSE doesn't charge it is just a plug and safety gate so the electricity only flows after the EVSE has told the car what type of power and the car has signalled to let the juice flow. So more then likely it will be the same EVSE just better capacity on the batteries. If people sign up with EVGO then they will probably dominate the market though I hope others come to market to compete and hopefully without forcing people into 3 year commitments.

yea, its a bit of an odd situation and there is plenty of opportunities to get burned (badly too). The ultimate "take home" I think they are trying to sell is:

free maintenence on the EVSE for life (just like any warranty, is it justifiable)
no upfront cost (means you end up paying more over the lifetime, but we all know that)
electricity cost paid (works both ways, helps the electic companies, helps you, and somehow helps evgo)
charging stations (dc fast charging is a big boon for those who need or will utilize it regularly).

My biggest concern was that we "rent" the EVSE for three years, but if we don't change anything, thats a total of 6k over the life of the car (potentially). Thats way above a purchase. Either they will have to offer a lower price plan with the EVSE is "paid" after the 3 years or something else to couteract the cost. 3 years for their $49 for the EVSE is ~$1750, if they are basing this off AV's product and installation (which they use their product and installation), and standard EVSE with installation from AV is ~$2,200. With evgo you get the more advanaced unit. Plus with the tax credit (30% = ~$600), that puts the total evgo is getting about what they unit would be through AV (if they are even elligable for it - dunno how it works since its not at their offices).

We shall see how things go in 3 years. Hopefully the model will change. Or, maybe other companies that had "free" charging, etc. change their model to this? (eww). Only time will tell

Pipcecil said:
We shall see how things go in 3 years. Hopefully the model will change. Or, maybe other companies that had "free" charging, etc. change their model to this? (eww). Only time will tell

I got this reply from EVGO the other day when I asked if they would either offer a mobile only plan or a "pay at the pump" option:

"Yes, we are developing a 'pay at the station' option but it will likely not be ready until early next year."

tzzhc4 said:
Pipcecil said:

I got this reply from EVGO the other day when I asked if they would either offer a mobile only plan or a "pay at the pump" option:

"Yes, we are developing a 'pay at the station' option but it will likely not be ready until early next year."
I think that translate into: first we want to sign as many people up on the three year EVSE plans.

shay said:
I think that translate into: first we want to sign as many people up on the three year EVSE plans.

Hahaha, with a subtext of "stop bugging us".

Back