We need a portable 240v EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
NOT using this HUGE existing infrastructure is ... totally STUPID!

Not totally stupid. There is a reason for it. For starters, to use a dryer socket or hot-water heater socket, would require unplugging that device and plugging the car in. That would mean many plugs/unplugs every day. The sockets are not designed for that. Also, many dryers are located inside of the house, which would require running a long cable outside to charge the car. Not smart.

RIGHT NOW, we need to tell Nissan, local building departments, and legislators that we DENAND the right to plug-in. If we did not understand and accept that there are safety issues with fueling, we would not fuel our gas cars.

That is insane. I am not going to demand a right to something I know is not a right. If somebody doesn't want me to plug my car into an outlet, that is their right. I am not going to attempt to take away other people's rights to satisfy my own in this case. So you are saying that if you drive a gasoline car that you should demand the right to fill up at private gas pumps at rental car facilities, etc.. It is the same concept.

So, BEFORE you put money down or pay for a Leaf, demand a 240v plug-in EVSE that can work at AT LEAST the popular 15, 30, and 50-amp sockets.

Now you are dreaming. Everyone on this forum wants a leaf already and is willing to live with the design as-is. Nissan has a waiting list a mile long and has no incentive to change this to please a minority of people like you.

Honestly, I'm fine with the design of the level-1 EVSE that Nissan includes. I believe their goal was to produce something reliable and safe until something new can be designed. I think that 3rd party companies will step in very soon (leviton?) with a 220V product that will do exactly what you want (and what I want). That is the great thing about market driven capitalism, somebody else will fill in the gaps.

Us early adopters are not stupid. We are well aware of the initial limitations of these cars and that currently there are few places to plug in. We also know that will change over time but by purchasing a Leaf now we recognized we are willing to live with the shortfalls in the meantime.

BudRaymond said:
Just send in you 120V EVSE to evseupgrade. It's an elegant and sufficient solution to your request.

I keep the Quick220V + modded EVSE in the trunk, so 220V (or should I say 240V) charging is not a problem virtually anywhere IF I can find the two in-phase 120V outlets :)

I used this combination and it took approx. same time to charge as my installed AV EVSE.

IMO, I hope one day they can convert all those paddle and AVCON public chargers to J1772.

surfsnow said:
I keep the Quick220V + modded EVSE in the trunk, so 220V (or should I say 240V) charging is not a problem virtually anywhere IF I can find the two in-phase 120V outlets :)
IMO, I hope one day they can convert all those paddle and AVCON public chargers to J1772.
Technically, "two out of-phase 120V outlets".

The Avcons should be converted to J1772 and there are some programs in process to do some of them. As for the Small Paddle Inductive (SPI) chargers, there's still a few hundred RAV4 EVs on the road that use them. In the longer term, say 5 years as the 2002 era RAV4 EVs are dissapearing, then the SPI chargers should be converted to J1772.

ElectricVehicle said:
Technically, "two out of-phase 120V outlets".

The Avcons should be converted to J1772 and there are some programs in process to do some of them. As for the Small Paddle Inductive (SPI) chargers, there's still a few hundred RAV4 EVs on the road that use them. In the longer term, say 5 years as the 2002 era RAV4 EVs are dissapearing, then the SPI chargers should be converted to J1772.

Sorry for the mistake... thanks for the correction. :)

I just got a call from SPX that the 32amp Power Express portable EVSE is now available to order. $745 + tax + shipping, and 60 day estimated delivery. Problem is I (you) can't order without a Volt VIN# ???

So if there’s a Volt in your garage, call now! Operators are standing by 877-805-3873

http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1

KeiJidosha said:
I just got a call from SPX that the 32amp Power Express portable EVSE is now available to order. $745 + tax + shipping, and 60 day estimated delivery. Problem is I (you) can't order without a Volt VIN# ???

So if there’s a Volt in your garage, call now! Operators are standing by 877-805-3873

http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1
About time but why on earth do I need a Volt to order one? I thought the Volt restricted one was different model.

Clipper Creek issued a press release on the LCS-25 today and has pricing ($995) on their web site (but I don't know if that's new today or if it's been up all along?):

ClipperCreek Introduces Its Low Cost LCS-25 for Residential Charging
Dramatically Reduces Installation Cost

AUBURN, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--ClipperCreek, Inc. announced today the introduction of its LCS-25 – a compact, high power, residential charge station priced at just $995. The LCS-25 sets a new standard for small size and even smaller installation cost.

“We have made great strides in reducing the footprint and the burden on the customer’s pocket book.” said Jason France, ClipperCreek’s CEO. “The LCS-25 should install in just an hour or two and eliminates the overly complicated installations we have been seeing in the market.”

The LCS-25 is delivered with a flexible conduit that is easily wired into an existing junction box. The tough but small enclosure is mounted with just four screws. The LCS-25 measures in at 11” x 4” x 3” and incorporates a cable hanger making this model the industry’s most discreet and attractive option.

The LCS-25 is built with no compromise in safety or reliability. The LCS-25 is safety listed, meets the new SAE standard and is approved for use by all electric vehicles coming to market including the Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, and the Wheego LiFe.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/LCS-dsh-25/Detail.bok

This has been mentioned in another thread, but in case some people haven't heard about it, Phil (Ingineer) mentioned that parts.com is selling the Nissan OEM EVSE for only $468. So if you buy this and pay another $307 for the Rev2 EVSEupgrade.com upgrade, it's only going to be $775. Well below the Clipper Creek's $995, and it's available right now and is not vaporware. Add another $10 for the upgrade, and this EVSE will also work with the Volt, too.

Volusiano said:
Phil (Ingineer) mentioned that parts.com is selling the Nissan OEM EVSE for only $468.
Not right now, anyway. They say: "National Backorder" with no ETA and so canceled my order.

mwalsh said:
Clipper Creek issued a press release on the LCS-25 today and has pricing ($995) on their web site (but I don't know if that's new today or if it's been up all along?):

It is for sale now, but i have seen that thing on the website for a few months.

This is really cool, up until you realize that its just a pigtail on the other end. You would have to fashion some sort of electrical connector to it.

rainnw said:
This is really cool, up until you realize that its just a pigtail on the other end. You would have to fashion some sort of electrical connector to it.
This is a positive, not a negative, because it allows you to use the plug of your choice and avoid having to make adaptors. Or maybe even direct wire connection in a junction box. You can get a plug at Lowe's for typically around $15.

Back