Cross Country Effective Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

I was driving someplace that would use over 50% of my range, so I knew I would have to recharge at my destination to make it back home. This got me wondering would it be faster overall to: A) to drive faster and start recharging sooner or 2) drive more efficiently (slower) and need less recharging time.

The short answer is you are better off to drive efficiently unless you have a Level 3 charging station waiting for you. With L1 & L2 the car recharges slower than you generally drain it, so reducing the recharge time is more important than reducing the driving duration.

The Long answer:
I used mogur's Range-Speed-Bars Thumb Rule Table from this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295&start=30
260479_10150204542803020_138510433019_7232293_2045054_n.jpg

Based on these ranges, I made my own table of effective MPH including recharge time. This table makes the assumption that you can run the pack flat at speed and there is a charging station right there where you stopped. Of course, this is not possible, it was only for comparison.

The other issue that I had was that the only thing on Level 3 that I could find says that it will charge to 80% in 30 minutes. What about to 100%? I assumed that L3 performed at the same rate as Level 2 from 80% to 100%. If you know the real 0-100% time for L3, please let me know. Or even just the L3 80-100% time, I can just add 30min to that.

Here is the table I came up with:
2011%20Nissan%20Leaf%20Effective%20Speed%20with%20Recharging.JPG

This is filled with assumptions and might even have some math errors. Let me know if you see anything that looks wrong. I will then immediately become defense and accusatory ;)

This does show that you better not plan any long distance trips until there is a L3 network unless you don't mind a low average speed (which can be fun). A 2-day trip with an overnight charge would be great, but a USA coast-to-coast drive today, is likely not a good idea.

The slower you drive, the faster you reach your destination.

That is the BEV reality for trips exceeding initial charge range, without DC charging.

I doubt any of us will want to charge to 100% very often on DC, when and if it becomes available.

It's much slower to fill the last 20% of the battery capacity (reportedly as long as the first 80%) and causes more battery "wear".

So, on a longer trip, it will be much easier on your schedule, your battery, and (likely) your wallet, to recharge to 80%, (or less, when you are nearing your next L1/L2 destination)charge point.

Once there are DC chargers...

Portable DC chargers could make a big difference, 240V at 50A but adjustable down to deal with local conditions. Possibly 2 hour 100% charges and a range of 140 miles you could easily do 280 miles per day, hopping between RV campgrounds. The PFC-50 at $3500 looks interesting, but it needs a Chademo connector.

It will definitely become more practical when the Leaf 200 comes on the market.

Back