Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone see a problem with my order from v-LEDs

Qty Item Unit Price Total Price

1 V-HIDS 35W SLIM BALLAST XENON HEADLIGHT KIT H9 6000K BLUE TINT B/O
$59.99 $59.99
1 V-HIDS 35W SLIM BALLAST XENON HEADLIGHT KIT H11 6000K BLUE TINT B/O
$59.99 $59.99
5 2 SMT HIGH POWER WHITE WEDGE BASE LED LIGHT BULBS 24
$4.79 $23.95

hopefully they will be long lived, get some grease suitable for lightbulbs. Some of those improve heat transmission to keep the bulb cooler.

Herm said:
hopefully they will be long lived, get some grease suitable for lightbulbs. Some of those improve heat transmission to keep the bulb cooler.
Yup! didn't think abt that.. I'll put some..

OrientExpress said:
vijayl said:
Just ordered from ebay
o 2 pcs Amber 7440 t20 27 5050 SMD LED Lights Bulbs for the Rear Turn signals
o 2x AMBER 3157 27 5050 SMD LED for the front turn signals

What is your confidence level that these LEDs will not trigger the "bulb out" blinker response?

The bulb out blinker response is a double speed flasher and it will happen with replacing 1 LED in the system per side. The 4-way flashers ignore the circuit resistance sampling that triggers the double flash so they will flash as normal no matter which bulbs are installed. There is no relay to change to correct the double flash like in older cars (the LEAFs is controlled through the BCM) so the only option is to add a load resistor to the circuit to correct it.

The bulb out blinker response is a double speed flasher and it will happen with replacing 1 LED in the system per side.

The reason I asked is that I replaced all 4 turn signal bulbs with LEDs and got the fast blink response. I have yet to find any LED replacements that have a built-in resistor to fool the bulb-out detection.

That would be an excellent choice for the high beams and I have been searching for someone who sells them. No luck so far in finding it in a H9 version... I'm not interested in spending the $120 or more to change them out to HIDs since they will be used so little on such a vehicle. I'm more interested in more and bluer light for the very occasional times they will be used; flashing other motorists, the infrequent dark solitary street, and the like...

TimLee said:
Seems like replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 4100K color temperature should help some, right?

OrientExpress said:
The bulb out blinker response is a double speed flasher and it will happen with replacing 1 LED in the system per side.

The reason I asked is that I replaced all 4 turn signal bulbs with LEDs and got the fast blink response. I have yet to find any LED replacements that have a built-in resistor to fool the bulb-out detection.

These does seem to have built-in resistors. I've used these in my '79 MGB and works like a charm. I've replaced, Rear/brake lamps and turn signals on my MGB, blinkers didn't flash and replaced thermal Flasher with an Electronic Flasher.
file.php

If I experience any issue with blinkers, I'll replace the flasher with an LED bulb Flasher Unit..

These does seem to have built-in resistors. I've used these in my '79 MGB and works like a charm. I've replaced, Rear/brake lamps and turn signals on my MGB, blinkers didn't flash and replaced thermal Flasher with an Electronic Flasher.

If I experience any issue with blinkers, I'll replace the flasher with an LED bulb Flasher Unit..

The Leaf does not have a traditional analog flasher relay. It is all done electronically in the Body Control Module, complete with a synthesized "clicker" noise. So I look forward to your report on how the LEDs that you bought work out.

mogur said:
That would be an excellent choice for the high beams and I have been searching for someone who sells them. No luck so far in finding it in a H9 version... I'm not interested in spending the $120 or more to change them out to HIDs since they will be used so little on such a vehicle. I'm more interested in more and bluer light for the very occasional times they will be used; flashing other motorists, the infrequent dark solitary street, and the like...

TimLee said:
Seems like replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 4100K color temperature should help some, right?
I'm not sure they make H9.
Interesting link to very low cost H9 replacement. But I have no idea whether they're any good or not.
http://sylvaniasilverstarlowprices.co.cc/bestprice-Xenon_H9_Super_White_High_Beam_Light_Bulb_Set_of_Two_of_H9-B003ZX2WTG.html

OrientExpress said:

The Leaf does not have a traditional analog flasher relay. It is all done electronically in the Body Control Module, complete with a synthesized "clicker" noise. So I look forward to your report on how the LEDs that you bought work out.

In a way the "fast flash" behavior is a way to indicate that one of your bulbs is burned out.
I wonder if the Leaf BCM will change the flash rate if it doesn't see as much current draw as it would expect from traditional incandescents.

So, has anyone replaced the turn signal lights with LEDs yet? Do they flash at the 'normal' rate?

LED turn-signals can be a bit jarring if they turn on and off suddenly/staccato. People are used to the fade-in, fade-out of the bulbs.

Nope, Sylvania doesn't. I got the following response from them:

"Good Afternoon. Thank you for your interest and inquiry in our SilverStar ULTRA product. I am sorry to inform you, but we only make a standard H9. We do not offer any kind of upgrade with this product. If you have any other questions please let me know."

I'll keep looking for other options since I have yet to see any H9 LED replacements that were satisfactory in terms of light output and focus...

I'm not sure they make H9.

Has anyone figured out which length festoon bulbs the map and dome lights use? I see bulbs ranging form 31-42mm long.

nader said:
Has anyone figured out which length festoon bulbs the map and dome lights use? I see bulbs ranging form 31-42mm long.
I used 31mm LED festoon bulbs for the dome and cargo lights based on the measurements I took. But when I installed them, they were a tight fit. They did fit, however. I got these from Amazon (
Lighting EVER 1.22 in 31mm Festoon bulb). I guess I must have ordered the Warm White version because they appear to be more of a 5100K color temperature and are not bluish. They do look nice and are cooler than the original bulbs. I've also ordered an other brand from eBay to try out.

I think the map lights are T10/194 type bulbs, but I don't have the car handy to check.

OrientExpress said:

Got the LEDs and replaced just Left front and there it goes flashing faster. Since the LEDs are at 0.3a and consume around 3W, LEAF thinks that the Bulbs are burnt out and flashes fast indicating lamps needs to be replaced.
the regular lamp may use ~20W, so I may need to add 17W load resistor.
I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..

Just had a chat with Super LED Bulbs and the rep mentioned LEAF may not have a replaceable flasher and recommended a RL-650Load Resistor

I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..

The type of flasher the leaf uses is a virtual flasher. There is not a traditional analog relay flasher in the car, it is all done by the Body Control Module.

Back