Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..

The type of flasher the leaf uses is a virtual flasher. There is not a traditional analog relay flasher in the car, it is all done by the Body Control Module.
Thanks for the confirmation. This is what SuperBright LEDs rep told me.. I'll try the RL-650 resistor..

OE - Do u have any feedback on these http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/load_resistor_info.pdf

has anyone tried these PIAA halogens for the H9 high beams to see if they perform any better than the stock high beams?
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-19665-Xtra-Xtreme-White/dp/B004FXIUSM/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know some have mentioned the reflector design is an issue, but I am hoping this bulb will provide good performance on the H beams, I use em alot on the backroads I drive!

they PIAA xtreme whites have worked well on some other cars for me
these are from Hella and half the price

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1104&cat=Headlight+Bulbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

?

kmp647 said:
has anyone tried these PIAA halogens for the H9 high beams to see if they perform any better than the stock high beams?
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-19665-Xtra-Xtreme-White/dp/B004FXIUSM/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know some have mentioned the reflector design is an issue, but I am hoping this bulb will provide good performance on the H beams, I use em alot on the backroads I drive!
Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.

I would concur with others that the reflector design is at fault.

OrientExpress said:
I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..

The type of flasher the leaf uses is a virtual flasher. There is not a traditional analog relay flasher in the car, it is all done by the Body Control Module.

So this means that it could technically be "tuned" out?

If someone had the expertise and was so inclined to hack the software, yes. My only real compliant with it is that it is WAY too loud! Plus, ideally, I'd like a sound that was different on the downbeat as compared to the upbeat, like any conventional flasher.

I didn't replace any of the incandescent bulbs on the flasher circuit as having to use resistors to keep the system operating normally seemed counter-productive to me.

nader said:
So this means that it could technically be "tuned" out?

Alex said:
Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.

How much power did the replacement bulbs consume in comparison with the Leaf's stock ones?

The stock high beam bulbs are 65 watts. I expect any incandescent replacement bulb to be that much or more...
The stock H11 fog lights are 55 watts each, by the way.

Herm said:
Alex said:

How much power did the replacement bulbs consume in comparison with the Leaf's stock ones?

kmp647 said:
they PIAA xtreme whites have worked well on some other cars for me
these are from Hella and half the price

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1104&cat=Headlight+Bulbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the tip. Can I just order these and install them with relative ease? The change in color spectrum of the high beams is irritating to me.

swapping high beam bulbs is very easy. unscrew the giant black lid on the side the headlight housing (has wires coing out of the middle of it) and then identify teh high beam bulb then twist left and pull out.

nader said:
swapping high beam bulbs is very easy. unscrew the giant black lid on the side the headlight housing (has wires coing out of the middle of it) and then identify teh high beam bulb then twist left and pull out.
Much thanks, gonna order the H9 from tire rack then. I bet it shows up in the morning. EDIT: ordered. :) EDIT 2: ordered from AMAZON.

Amazon Prime is your friend.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H83357011-Performance-Xenon-Halogen/dp/B001FBUZ4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315946680&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even without it's still cheaper on Amazon. $35.46

-nader

nader said:
Well, now you tell me... Sent a note to the rack to cancel, and ordered at the 'Zon. This that pretty much establishes that I am both a capitalist and a functional actor in prima facie rational market forces. BTW, one left in stock after my order.... Thank you very much for the lunch $ savings.

I should point out that the tire rack price is for a pair and the Amazon price is for one...

JimSouCal said:
nader said:
Well, now you tell me... Sent a note to the rack to cancel, and ordered at the 'Zon. This that pretty much establishes that I am both a capitalist and a functional actor in prima facie rational market forces. BTW, one left in stock after my order.... Thank you very much for the lunch $ savings.

TomT said:
I should point out that the tire rack price is for a pair and the Amazon price is for one...

JimSouCal said:
nader said:
Wow, God is in the details... Thanks for that... You are the pilot, yes? Little things like that can help avoid flying into hills. Must come in handy for you...

But in checking the SKU, it seems they are sold in pairs?

So, it is a bit unclear if it is a one pack of 2, or a single globe? Maybe this is how we missed a Planet one launch...? Or was that metric verses non-metric?

Reading the details in the Amazon ad, it would appear that it is for one bulb only but it may simply be poorly written.

JimSouCal said:
Also, it is a bit unclear if it is a one pack of 2, or a single globe? Maybe this is how we missed a Planet one launch...? Or was that metric verses non-metric?

TomT said:
Reading the details in the Amazon ad, it would appear that it is for one bulb only but it may simply be poorly written.

JimSouCal said:
Also, it is a bit unclear if it is a one pack of 2, or a single globe? Maybe this is how we missed a Planet one launch...? Or was that metric verses non-metric?
The latter... Here is one review...
HELLA H83357011 H9 12V/65W High Performance Xenon Blue Halogen Bulb (Automotive)
Better light pattern and whiter than stock bulbs, good buy (2) bulbs in package even though it said one bulb

I still think it was a good catch on your part!

hmm...i matched up the part numbers with tirerack's and it looks to be the same.

Sometimes amazons descriptions are kind of vague and only as good as the manufacturer that provides them.

A quick search on Hella's site and they only show one part number for an H9 Xenon Blue. I think you're safe. Also, when I google H83357011 most sites say sold in pairs and some say nothing.

TimLee said:
Seems like replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 4100K color temperature should help some, right?
I'm not sure they make H9.
Interesting link to very low cost H9 replacement. But I have no idea whether they're any good or not.
http://sylvaniasilverstarlowprices.co.cc/bestprice-Xenon_H9_Super_White_High_Beam_Light_Bulb_Set_of_Two_of_H9-B003ZX2WTG.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any light with coating on it is going to put out less lumens than the stock H9s. And the knockoffs shown in that link look like they have more than the usual amount of blue coating.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just upgraded to SilverStar Ultras on another car and was unhappy with them. No improvement at all from the OEM halogens.

What's the make and model of the original H9 bulbs? Is the color that irritating? I'm almost at 5,000 miles and I haven't even seen the high-beams yet. I'll have to check them out tonight.

Back