Carwings oddities, interesting tidbits, and problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
--snip--
I called Carwings support and they have no explanation for what happened. They said it sounded like I had logged onto Carwings at 8:30PM on 6:21 and clicked the "start charging" link. I assured them I hadn't done that. Their speculation was that it was just a software anomaly, then.
--snip--

TT

Any security folks that can comment on how hackable the CarWings site is? I would definitely change my password and maybe the ID as well if it can be.

Nekota said:
Any security folks that can comment on how hackable the CarWings site is? I would definitely change my password and maybe the ID as well if it can be.
From what they told me, they basically have to delete you and your VIN from the database, then you re-enter it and generate a new PIN and password. I don't really see a reason for a hacker to attack the website and gain access to a bunch of EV charging records. What's the profit motive? What do they have to gain, other than a bunch of email addresses, which could be more easily gathered by a web crawler or bot? There's no financial information stored on their system is there? Unless they kept the reservation credit card numbers on the same server as the Carwings system, which I doubt, there is no real prize to be won is there? That's why I decided that my account is probably not compromised, and this was some kind of isolated system failure, either of the Leaf's software, the Carwings system or even possibly with some Blink involvement? BTW, when I looked at the Blink to determine what happened on the last charge, it said it all took place (100%) at off-peak and the cost was $0--it started at 3:42AM and ended at 3:45AM. Obviously, this indicated some separate, second, aborted charging episode that tried to take place after the Leaf was already charged to 100% by 1:40AM. Not sure what would cause that...

TT

ttweed said:
.. Obviously, this indicated some separate, second, aborted charging episode that tried to take place after the Leaf was already charged to 100% by 1:40AM. Not sure what would cause that...
I've seen this happen on mine. Might have something to do with balancing the cells, or other internal operational details.

DeaneG said:
ttweed said:
.. Obviously, this indicated some separate, second, aborted charging episode that tried to take place after the Leaf was already charged to 100% by 1:40AM. Not sure what would cause that...
I've seen this happen on mine. Might have something to do with balancing the cells, or other internal operational details.
Ya, other people have mentioned it (as well as the issue of multiple emails) in the Blink firmware revision thread. I don't think balancing could be accomplished in 3 minutes, though, could it? And why would it wait two hours after finishing the 100% charge to begin balancing? I think the "other internal operational details" is a better guess, or more likely, "other internal operational bugs."

As a followup, I set a timer for 100% last night, to begin at midnight and end at 5:00AM (same timeframe) and the process seemed to work perfectly--no multiple emails, anyway, no notice that the charging started prematurely, and the car has 12 bars showing this morning--BUT, when I went to the Blink to see when it reported the charge taking place, it had a 7:05PM start time and end time (0 elapsed time) and $0 cost displayed. It showed "System uptime" of only 13 hours, 27 minutes, which means it has been undergoing some firmware updates recently, I imagine. When I looked at the system log, there were a LOT of error messages from both Jun 22 and Jun 23. I am starting to think it is the Blink involvement that is causing all this weirdness. I'm going to call their support team.

edit: Blink support said there are "known issues" with time reporting that they are working on. They had me power cycle the unit. We'll see if that corrects the odd behavior....
TT

Back