New Leaf lasts 2 days before crashing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
Off the top of my head I'd say chirping and power lights flashing or even lights flashing if it's plugged in and turned on, unless someone is sitting in the front seat or the driver's door is open. (There has to be a sensor for the front seat, yes?).

Something like this.

The car actually dings at you (three times in rapid succession) if you walk away from it with the proximity key while it's on.

So, what happened was, the car was left on, and the EV battery drained completely, then the 12v battery had nothing left to sustain it, and also drained, but not far enough to make the car completely dead, just far enough that the car couldn't initiate EV battery charging via the J1772 charger?

But, the 12v still had enough juice for some of the computers/ etc?

Nate

I must be the only person who always has the radio on in the car...I always know the car is off because the radio goes off when I power it down. I've been petrified about leaving it on inadvertently , but I just can,'t really understand how it happens. Granted, my last car had pushbutton start too, so I am in the habit of pushing the button to turn the thing off.

nater said:
So, what happened was, the car was left on, and the EV battery drained completely, then the 12v battery had nothing left to sustain it, and also drained, but not far enough to make the car completely dead, just far enough that the car couldn't initiate EV battery charging via the J1772 charger?

But, the 12v still had enough juice for some of the computers/ etc?

Nate

Yup, or so I suppose. Once again, I state the car should have an automatic power down when left on, even purposefully, for XX hrs. I say one hour with programmable override. What happened to me is very probably a user error but inexcusable the car does not have such protection built in. Nissan will need to maintain contracts with towing services coast to coast until a firmware upgrade corrects this problem. If it is already built in, I'll discover it soon.

Otto

mwalsh said:
SanDust said:
Off the top of my head I'd say chirping and power lights flashing or even lights flashing if it's plugged in and turned on, unless someone is sitting in the front seat or the driver's door is open. (There has to be a sensor for the front seat, yes?).

Something like this.

The car actually dings at you (three times in rapid succession) if you walk away from it with the proximity key while it's on.

Today, was programming the HomeLink, and it seemed to beep 3X when I initially stepped away, and then I was in and out of proximity, and the second 2Xs?

davewill said:
704hov1095 said:
...I maintain that strong visual (nav or main dash: "Power is OFF") and auditory (nav: "Power is OFF") signals should be programmed in. It would not be intrusive. Currently, the glow in the power switch and both the interior and headlights are on a delay, so if one wants to use their extinguishing as final signals that the car is off, you got to hang around for up to a minute--inconveniencing...
Huh?? Pretty much the entire dash display extinguishes as soon as you turn the car off. How much of a visual signal do you need?

This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more. The easiest way for me to tell from ACC or On is the green car in the middle of the bottom display with the arrow underneath which ONLY means it is On and ready to drive. If all the dash lights are on and that little green car is absent, then I know it is in ACC mode. It goes completely dark/black when it is OFF. Unless someone is blind (they shouldn't be driving), you just can't miss these.

mwalsh said:
jcesare said:
When you hit the "Charge Now" button. the middle led will flash, signaling it is ready to be connected.

Surely it comes on and stays on? That is until you connect the EVSE.

It only stays on for 15 minutes. If you fail to connect the EVSE within 15 minutes, you have to push the 'Charge Now' button again on the left side of the dash.

Definitely a concern of ours. Our service guy left the car running after the AC software update. The 3 beeps are too subtle, IMO, especially when you're in a hurry. I'd like for it to beep louder and more often the longer the key is out of range. Perhaps an auto off option after a certain time?

This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more. The easiest way for me to tell from ACC or On is the green car in the middle of the bottom display with the arrow underneath which ONLY means it is On and ready to drive. If all the dash lights are on and that little green car is absent, then I know it is in ACC mode. It goes completely dark/black when it is OFF. Unless someone is blind (they shouldn't be driving), you just can't miss these.

Thank you...totally agree. I do think that a failsafe is a good idea...but really - I think we can all learn to turn the thing off when we are done using it. Let's not start complaining about one the best features - that the car is silent.

LEAFfan said:
Sorry, but you've got that wrong. According to the owner's manual there are five different power states, and you are misusing their names. READY is what you are calling ON, when the green car is there. ON is what you are calling ACC, when the dash is lit up and there is no green car. Just semantics? Hardly. Because there is an ACC mode and the dash is not lit up at all. There is also an OFF state and a LOCK state, but don't ask me the subtleties of the distinctions between those two. What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery.

Ray

planet4ever said:
What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery
In the ACC state, the power button is lit? I seem to have observed this when I was cycling the button when not moving and my foot was off the brake?

LEAFfan said:
This is the first time I've ever had a 'button' for 'ignition' or a BEV. I have had absolutely no problem knowing whether the car is 'off', 'ACC mode', or 'On'. There are plenty of visual clues. I don't understand how anyone would need more.

planet4ever said:
Sorry, but you've got that wrong. According to the owner's manual there are five different power states, and you are misusing their names. READY is what you are calling ON, when the green car is there. ON is what you are calling ACC, when the dash is lit up and there is no green car. Just semantics? Hardly. Because there is an ACC mode and the dash is not lit up at all. There is also an OFF state and a LOCK state, but don't ask me the subtleties of the distinctions between those two. What matters, though, is that ACC has a blank dash, and can drain the battery.

Ray

@LEAFfan: Apparently you need some more clues yourself. And maybe a hint of empathy as well...

Some people on this forum would benefit from reading the owners manual before posting about how the car has an issue, the pack died for no reason, the brakes have failed once for a few seconds, etc, etc. Most issues turn out to be user error because they don't know how the car works not because the car has a real issue, the rumor and speculation seems to make it worse, logic helps. Those that walk away form the car when it is on and hear the car beep and then wonder why the lights are on when they return may want to pay a bit more attention.

EVDRIVER said:
Some people on this forum would benefit from reading the owners manual before posting about how the car has an issue, the pack died for no reason, the brakes have failed once for a few seconds, etc, etc. Most issues turn out to be user error because they don't know how the car works not because the car has a real issue, the rumor and speculation seems to make it worse, logic helps. Those that walk away form the car when it is on and hear the car beep and then wonder why the lights are on when they return may want to pay a bit more attention.

BRAVO!, EVDRIVER; I couldn't have said it better myself. It's actually sort of funny how some are reporting "beeps" "clanks" "clunks" "thumps" "flashing lights" etc, etc, on this vehicle. Knowledge is power. Study the manuals before you report a "malfunction". :idea:

A very tech savvy friend was convinced ECO mode made the pedal harder to push (electrically), I could not convince him otherwise for some time until he finally realized it was due to the fact he was pushing the pedal farther than normal and there was a different angle on his foot and more resistance at that angle but no computer was creating resistance. I can't ell you how many people are convinced their Nissan EVSE is bad until they are forced to read in the manual about ungrounded outlets.

Yes, I do believe in reading manuals, but I'm sorry, a five-state power button with no direct indication of which state you are in, and a complicated set of rules for transitions between states is a design usability problem, no matter how clearly it is spelled out in the manual. (And I don't think it is spelled out all that clearly, either.)

Now, people who are into video games may look at this as just one more tricky challenge to learn how to maneuver through, but driving a car should not be as puzzling or challenging as video games.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Yes, I do believe in reading manuals...
For me it is reading the manual and then something happens--and then reading the manual again. The problem with the manual is it is a giant mix of the most obvious with tiny excerpts of the most arcane. I have taken to using page markers for that that seems to be less obvious yet useful, like steps to program the homelink, and shutting off the infernal honk sound when locking up.

I agree that there are some key annunciators and buttons that one really should get to know. For the most part, I find the work on the car clever, maybe at times too clever, yet the more one learns, the easier it gets. Mastering the finer points of timers and charging are the next level... And I do look at the LEVEL 3 port and wonder what it is good for, and why I need a power wart brick rather than an AC pigtail.... That is when it is light out and I can see what I am doing in there... I digress...

Back