Too much data... Is the Blink reliable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luft

Woo-Hoo! My Estimated delivery date has been bumped up to August! It's time to get serious about EVSE.

I'm leaning toward the Blink but I've read about so many problems on this forum. Many of the posts are old, however.

Can someone give me a quick status report? Is the Blink reliable? Also can the blink be mounted outdoors in a carport?

Thanks.

Is the Blink reliable? - Yes, except for two things:
  • The wireless networking is EXTREMELY short range (Ecotality keeps throwing around 30' to your wireless router, with no walls in between). Most people hoping to connect wirelessly have been forced to seek other solutions (running CAT-5 cable, Power Line Networking adapters or in my case, a Netgear WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender (with a CAT-5 cable to the Blink).
  • The unit seems to reboot itself occasionally - reason is unclear (possibly hardware issue, possibly firmware auto-update, likely just a software bug). Many have reported this on this forum, so it's not just my unit.

The above said, my unit has never failed to give me a correct charge when hooked up correctly.

Also can the blink be mounted outdoors in a carport? - I believe the answer is "yes", but call them to make sure.

Disclaimer: I've only had it for two weeks...

The Blink is weatherproof. It's mounted on the exterior wall of my house in the driveway. With an outdoor installation, the EVSE is hardwired. It has always provided electricity to the LEAF at the proper times using the car's timer. The unit has required one reboot in a month, but the internet connection has no effect on charging.

Back