Chiming sound near passenger side dashboard

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kataphn

It started last night as I pulled into the driveway! There is a chiming sound, soft not loud, near the underside of the passenger dashboard. It is 3 musical notes that descend ta-ta-ta with a 5 second pause and then it does it again. It sounds sort of like a wristwatch alarm. Yes, I did check the glovebox and all around to see if there was anything of ours making the sound. I have made no recent adjustments in any settings. There are no warning lights lit anywhere. All is well with the operation of the car. The sound is made if the doors are open or closed. It is driving me nuts when I drive.
The sound is present when the car is running, when the car is stopped but still in run mode, when the car is stopped and in the accessory mode. The sound goes away when the car is off. So what is this? It sounds like it is coming from within the dash somewhere.
No, I am not imagining this. And yes, I have been taking my meds. Thoughts? Does the service manual shed any light on this?

Kataphn said:
It started last night as I pulled into the driveway! There is a chiming sound, soft not loud, near the underside of the passenger dashboard. It is 3 musical notes that descend ta-ta-ta with a 5 second pause and then it does it again. It sounds sort of like a wristwatch alarm. Yes, I did check the glovebox and all around to see if there was anything of ours making the sound. I have made no recent adjustments in any settings. There are no warning lights lit anywhere. All is well with the operation of the car. The sound is made if the doors are open or closed. It is driving me nuts when I drive.
The sound is present when the car is running, when the car is stopped but still in run mode, when the car is stopped and in the accessory mode. The sound goes away when the car is off. So what is this? It sounds like it is coming from within the dash somewhere.
No, I am not imagining this. And yes, I have been taking my meds. Thoughts? Does the service manual shed any light on this?

Was it the seatbelt alarm? Maybe you had something heavy in the seat and the car thought there was an unbelted passenger?

JCBNJB said:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the key fob? And it's distance from the car or it running out of it's own battery? Just a TOTAL guess…

I do get three inside beeps when I start the car, remove the fob to another location, and then move the car (it will go into drive and move, BTW). But I get all kinds of warning lamps in the dash and the LCD displays "key not detected" (though I can cancel out of that screen). But the three chime tone is monotonous and doesn't change pitch.

I didn't take off around the block to see what happens when I drive away and leave the fob at home (too chicken...don't want to break my car. LOL!)

If it is already on, it will stay on forever without the key fob until it is finally turned off or the battery dies.

mwalsh said:
I didn't take off around the block to see what happens when I drive away and leave the fob at home (too chicken...don't want to break my car. LOL!)

Try simple things first, right? So I noted that I had the Ipod Nano plugged into the USB like I always do. I wasn't using it last night or anytime today (did not play it at all) but I thought, "what the heck?!, why don't I unplug that and see what happens" so I did and the chiming stopped! I examined the nano. When it is plugged into the USB it just reads NISSAN on the screen. There was no indication of any problem with it. When I disconnected it and turned it off and on, again, no indication of any problem. So I am not sure how the Ipod is connected to this problem but there you have it. Al least I have my sanity back :roll:

Kataphn said:
Try simple things first, right? So I noted that I had the Ipod Nano plugged into the USB like I always do. I wasn't using it last night or anytime today (did not play it at all) but I thought, "what the heck?!, why don't I unplug that and see what happens" so I did and the chiming stopped! I examined the nano. When it is plugged into the USB it just reads NISSAN on the screen. There was no indication of any problem with it. When I disconnected it and turned it off and on, again, no indication of any problem. So I am not sure how the Ipod is connected to this problem but there you have it. Al least I have my sanity back :roll:

Well done Kat! Proud of you. :)

Back