Telematics SIM Card

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amorphousblob said:
Taking out the SIM card is not really a solution...

It's a puzzler that I wish I could solve.
Take out the sim. You will either solve the problem for everyone by figuring out how the easily accessible numbers should be used, find out it can't work, or at least solve it for yourself.

I thought I already solved this problem. There is no phone number associated with the sim. The company that issues the sim is very integrated with the GSM network and the system doesn't work the way we expect it to because it doesn't have to.

As I already posted in the third post 882-35 is the international network number for Jasper Systems, inc, which happens to partner with AT&T and (assumingly) is the company providing the network access.

It does sound like the number is the MSISDN, which probably means there isn't "phone number" attached to it as they access it directly by the MSISDN at the BSC/MSC level...something our mobile phones are not expecting (they expect a phone number).

All SIMs have an associated MSISDN, even if its a fake one, for billing purposes. The +88235...etc is the actual associated MSISDN.

The microcell specifically needs AT&T MSISDN's programmed in. The CCDID is nothing more than a serial number that directly relates to the real (purportedly secret) identity of the SIM: the IMSI. Microcells are a consumer device, and were never really intended to communicate with random M2M modules that will probably be more common place. Maybe that will change...for that carrier's M2M devices at least!

Yes, Jasper uses AT&T, but its sort of an MVNO roaming agreement.

Its really too bad the car does not have WiFi, as I have been in locations where I had problems with charge timers, and the iPhone app would have corrected the problem. Oh well.

Because I hate to give up without exhausting all possibilities, I'll try the SIM card play. Has anyone published a step-by-step for removing the Telemetrics unit? I see images of it in this thread, and I see the glovebox removed.

Any guidance?

Follow the service manual instructions. It was pretty easy when it shows you where all the clips are and what direction they pull out.

Just make sure you remove ALL the screws before yanking on it hard. There are some that aren't too easy to see.

CARWINGS will tell you everything you need to know about the SIM provisioning if you visit the ID "feed", including MSISDN (phone number).

Okay, a little CARWINGS 101 for you noobs:

Feeds can contain more than just a picture and some audio, there is plenty of data....of course...you need to push some very counterintuitive controls that make no sense.

At a stop, hit pause.

Note the selections on the right that appear. Things that can live her are text-to-speech, further descriptions, commands to put a destination specified in the feed into the nav, etc.

Don't feel bad, I just figured this out last week :D

Counterintuitive, wow that's an understatement, but thanks for the tip and I was able to the find the phone number and the rest of the ID's. Next I'm going to try an app that allows you to locate any cell device on any network - we'll see.

Anyone has tried to figure out a way (hack) to run an app so that could make outbound API calls? that would make so many cool applications. e.g. make calls every 5 minutes to send your location, or get stock quotes every few minutes without reloading the menu.

I pulled the sim in my 2012 leaf only to discover that it now requires a sim PIN code to use it. Can anyone else confirm that their sim did or did not require a PIN?

turbo2ltr said:
I thought I already solved this problem. There is no phone number associated with the sim. The company that issues the sim is very integrated with the GSM network and the system doesn't work the way we expect it to because it doesn't have to.

As I already posted in the third post 882-35 is the international network number for Jasper Systems, inc, which happens to partner with AT&T and (assumingly) is the company providing the network access.

It does sound like the number is the MSISDN, which probably means there isn't "phone number" attached to it as they access it directly by the MSISDN at the BSC/MSC level...something our mobile phones are not expecting (they expect a phone number).
This is a great thread, and as the Leaf is proliferating internationally, it will be interesting to see if a SIM card that would work in Canada or Germany could be identified. Interestingly, Japer Wireless partners with both AT&T and with Rogers, which happen to be the networks Nissan is using for CarWings communications in the US and in Canada. It will be interesting to see if the Leaf will be using either BASE or e-plus in Germany.

Has anybody tried to put a different sim in the TCU. I live in Canada and am looking at buying a used 2011 Leaf in the US, the only real problem I can't find a solution to is getting Canadian Carwings to work on a US TCU. Nissan says they are "hardwired" to the country, and don't sell just the sim card. A Canadian TCU is $1950 a little pricey to be able to talk to the car.

If anybody has any great ideas on how to solve this challenge let me know.

:?: I do have a similar problem to solve> I moved my US Nissan Leaf to Europe and now the GPS maps and the Carwings is no longer working.
From what I was reading so far, I would say that changing the SIM will not solve the problem. In addition I may need the European Telematics module - does anyone know if such a module is available for a reasonable prize? From the Nissan dealer I know that I could change the whole Navigation system but that's several thousand bucks.... Any other ideas on how to solve this would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Back