SPX 32A L2 Plug-In, All-Voltage EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is how the EVSE arrived
img2037bt.jpg

EVSE case is a casting. It has two mounting plates on the back that attaches to this wall plate
img2033s.jpg

The input cable is not attached and the case punch-outs on the back or on the top. a NEMA 5-30 and strain relief is included, pre stripped for attachment to the terminal strip inside the case. A close-up of the mounting plates on the back of the EVSE
img2040t.jpg

While not lightweight, it seems well made and sturdy

Great pics! Is that a recess I see on the front of the unit at the top? I like how they did the slide mount to the bracket. Any chance you will take pictures of the inside of the unit when you wire the input cable?

EVDRIVER said:
That case seems to be an afterthought for portability.
Transportable, not portable. Case feels about the same heft as the EAA Avcon adapter. Not to be confused with the LEAF unit, that's for sure. But would easily mount on the garage wall, then take with you on the occasional long trip. Seems very useful for the price point.

It looks like a 6-30 plug (240v), not 5-30 (120v).

Where is the rotary 12A, 16A, 24A, 32A switch located?
Oh, I see it conveniently located on the FRONT face of the unit.
Excellent!

Some other Questions, please:
1. Is there a "max current rating" on the side of the EVSE, as referred to in the notes on the above instruction page?

2. Where do you connect the pigtail?

3. How long is the supplied J1772 "hose"?

------
The mounting bracket is "needed" because the EVSE body needs to be "held in place" so that a sufficient "pull/tug" on the J1772 "hose" will pull the hose "OUT" of the EVSE body enough (not much) to "turn off" the power to the car. Usually the Control Pilot wire disconnects first, causing the EVSE to open its relays.

mwalsh said:
garygid said:
It looks like a 6-30 plug (240v)

It's hard to tell, because there isn't anything to gauge the size against, but it looks like a 6-15 to me. And if it is....aren't those only rated for 15a?
6-30 would be 30A. The last part of the number is the amp rating. 6-15 would be 15A...

KeiJidosha said:
EVDRIVER said:
That case seems to be an afterthought for portability.
Transportable, not portable. Case feels about the same heft as the EAA Avcon adapter. Not to be confused with the LEAF unit, that's for sure. But would easily mount on the garage wall, then take with you on the occasional long trip. Seems very useful for the price point.

So why would one buy one of these for over $750 when it seems it is not sealed for outdoor use and uses some sort of modified electrical box case when you can modify the more durable and sealed Nissan unit for under $300. I don't understand the draw to LEAF owners at this price point of an additional $450. Even if the Nissan unit were not sealed, $450 more for the SPX unit offers no more advantage.

For the convenience of a second, more permanent mounting solution with future proofing of up to 32A@240V? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

z0ner said:
For the convenience of a second, more permanent mounting solution with future proofing of up to 32A@240V? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

You could easily mount the Nissan Unit, yes for the additional amps but that is not a LEAF benefit, in addition in a few years a price on a wall mounted unit will be likely below $400. Spending $450 more now for possible need for 32A capability in the future on a commodity product does not make sense to me when that $450 will likely buy something better in the future for the same price and you still have the 16A 240 LEAF unit. It's not really future proofing in that regard, spending $100 more on larger conduit and heavier wire on an outlet installation is future proofing. This unit is not even designed for repeated mobile or outdoor use. If you had an EV now that needed a 32A supply and you owned a second home and only wanted one indoor EVSE I could see it making sense, otherwise it's hedging over $450 on a future benefit one may not use and will likely cost the same or less than the $450 spent with less present utility for outdoor use and durability. That seems like a brainer to me if you don't want to burn the extra cash.

If I already have a dedicated 240V 40A circuit in my garage, what are my options right now if I don't like the inconvenience of lugging, rolling up, and stowing the modified Nissan EVSE 2x a day (work and home)?

I could buy an additional mod Nissan EVSE for $600 + $240 + shipping (~$880) which is limited to 3.3kW, or I can buy this unit (for $811) with selectable amps and charge at 6.6kW when Nissan upgrades the charger.

Or I can continue to wait until EVSE prices come down, all at additional risk to my only EVSE that is getting handled four times daily.

z0ner said:
If I already have a dedicated 240V 40A circuit in my garage, what are my options right now if I don't like the inconvenience of lugging, rolling up, and stowing the modified Nissan EVSE 2x a day (work and home)?

I could buy an additional mod Nissan EVSE for $600 + $240 + shipping (~$880) which is limited to 3.3kW, or I can buy this unit (for $811) with selectable amps and charge at 6.6kW when Nissan upgrades the charger.

Or I can continue to wait until EVSE prices come down, all at additional risk to my only EVSE that is getting handled four times daily.

You can buy a second Nissan EVSE for about $460 so about $720 with shipping. If you need two units it can be ABOUT the same cost as you describe so that is different for those that NEED two units so it is a close draw and you are correct in that regard. For those that are looking for a unit to use at home and occasional portable use it makes more sense just to have one unit, where the converted Nissan unit makes more sense for cost and use. If you need a unit for frequent portable use as you describe it makes more sense to have a unit mounted at home (Nissan or other) and a converted Nissan unit for portable use as it is more durable, has a case designed for that and is made for outdoor use. The key is how the unit will be used, If one needs two EVSE units I see the logic in getting the SPX for home use over an AV, Leviton, etc. I can't see why anyone that has a wall EVSE now would buy a SPX as a portable unit rather than convert their Nissan unit but then again people insist on buying EV Charge America EVSE units but that is for many other reasons:) So far the Nissan unit (Panasonic) is the best constructed unit I have seen on the market outside of a Clipper Creek, portable or otherwise.

EVDRIVER said:
...I can't see why anyone that has a wall EVSE now would buy a SPX as a portable unit rather than convert their Nissan unit...

Totally agree. IMHO Phil has revolutionized the EVSE industry and has taken a huge chunk out of the gouging EVSE manufacturer's profits. I would LOVE to get the whole scoop on his operation - I think there's a great story in this.

Is this SPX all-voltage, like Mod-L1?
This SPX has yet to actually work, right?
But, roughly the same price for a "new" unit.

Then, the SPX has:
1. 12 to 30 amps,
2. easily switchable Max-Amps,
3. UL listing
4. Big company backing
5. Easy, Quick-release mounting

But unknown performance, heating, vampire load, quality ...

Back