rclams

Re: Official California PG&E Thread

Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:10 am

planet4ever wrote:Yes, I see your emoticon, but seriously, this is something people need to think about before they switch plans or get a solar system. The time of day differential is really nice for half the year (sell excess power to PG&E during the afternoon at 30 cents/kWh, buy it back for 5 cents/kWh after midnight) but for the other half of the year you only gain 5 cents/kWh.
I think that PV has at least a 3% after-tax, ROI (not including the TOU arbitrage bonus). And right now that's hard to beat, as you know.

See for example http://www.thomaswlewis.com/?page_id=45 showing a simple payback of 9 years. With 20-25 year warrantees on panels, if someone owns their home and has the right exposure, I think its a no-brainer.

And E9A sweetens the pot. Considerably.

leaf561
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5449

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 am

gascant wrote: For us, the 2nd meter might save $60/month if that, so it's a big investment to make for a small savings.
If you plan to get a second EV in the future, then the 2nd meter makes sense. You get the federal rebate now (if it is still available).
Solar PV 3.9 kW/h system
LEAF SL - Ocean Blue with QC
SF Bay Area EV Project - Blink Installed 06/20/11
Reserved: Apr 23, 2010. Ordered: Nov 30th, 2011. Delivery: July 01, 2011

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:35 pm

leaf561 wrote:
gascant wrote: For us, the 2nd meter might save $60/month if that, so it's a big investment to make for a small savings.
If you plan to get a second EV in the future, then the 2nd meter makes sense. You get the federal rebate now (if it is still available).
If two people in the house were commuting, I'd agree. I would imagine that we'll be a two-EV family around the same time as I retire, so our overall driving will go down considerably.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greenleaf

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:27 pm

Did anyone notice that PG&E's E9a rate treated today (7/4) as a regular weekday (i.e. regular peak rates apply from 2pm to 9pm)?

Being a hot day today, I was about to turn the thermostat down another three degrees when I checked the meter to see that regular rates apply. I always thought that holidays would count under weekend rates.

I guess I should have scrutinized the rate sheet closer. :shock:
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

rclams

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:29 am

greenleaf wrote:Did anyone notice that PG&E's E9a rate treated today (7/4) as a regular weekday (i.e. regular peak rates apply from 2pm to 9pm)?
Unfortunately, there are no "TOU Holidays" for residential accounts, only for commercial & industrial accounts. :(

Bummer.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:58 am

greenleaf wrote:Did anyone notice that PG&E's E9a rate treated today (7/4) as a regular weekday (i.e. regular peak rates apply from 2pm to 9pm)?
Unless you've got something the rest of us don't have, you're not using a smart meter. It can't communicate with the central office, and it's not much smarter than a digital watch. It doesn't even switch between standard time and daylight saving time on the right date!

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

greenleaf

Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 am

My meter shows the date and time. It doesn't seem much to have the holidays programmed in for the next 10 years...
2011 Leaf: reserved 4/2010, delivered 3/2011 (VIN 9XX), sold 2/2014.
EVP Blink EVSE installed 4/2011.
OpenEVSE installed 3/2014.
3.22 kW DC Solar PV.

rclams

Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 am

greenleaf wrote:It doesn't seem much to have the holidays programmed in for the next 10 years...
Yeah, because as I said three posts up, now quoting PG&E:

"Residential TOU tariffs do not include off-peak rates for weekday holidays."

ditchner
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2281

Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:32 pm

I've had my Leaf just over 2 months and I'm very satisfied with it. I've now experienced two full months of PGE charges using the 110 volt adapter supplied by Nissan. I rarely go over 35 miles/day and the additional charges have been ~$150/mo. We're not very green and use quite a bit of power here. Last month's bill showed 350kwh of use at 300% above baseline which was billed at 37+ cents/kwh. The total bill was over $500 and we hadn't even been using much AC in June so it really got my attention.

In the Bay Area where Ecotality was not originally going to roll out the EV Project to EV owners, Nissan was heavily pushing the private installation of charging stations via Aerenvironments. My quote was $2300. Luckily I kept my ear to the Internet, learned of the EV Project and managed to get approved after I had taken delivery but before I had committed to a private company. Nissan was not very helpful, btw, and did not approve my initial application because I had gotten a previous Aerenvironments quote. When I learned of that I rained some Hell Fire down on Nissan and eventually got approved for my free Ecotality Blink charging station installation.

I also spent a great deal of time analyzing PG&E's E-9A and E-9B programs. From my analysis and based on how we use electricity in our house we would have gotten killed by E-9A because we mostly use power during peak hours and my wife is about as flexible as granite. That $500 bill from June would have been closer to $600 on E-9A.

Once I decided that E-9B was what I wanted I obtained bids from private electrical contractors who had difficulty coming up with a price because it was not clear exactly what hardware PG&E was really going to require. In the end it cost me $2000 for the electrician (just the splice box alone that PG&E required cost him $500) and $250 from PG&E for the 2nd meter. We have underground service to a 200 amp panel since we remodeled in 2000. PGE said we could add the splice box and still power the 200 amp panel + the new 100 amp panel that we installed for the Leaf without a service upgrade. The splice box that PG&E required is huge (3 feet wide, 4 feet high) so we had to move the existing 200 amp panel up several inches to accomodate it. (It also cost me $75 to restucco the area between the newly located 200 amp panel and the splice box).

PGE was out early in the AM to cut off our power and to pull the cables back so the electrician could cut the existing 3 inch diameter steel conduit and install the splice box. Before PG&E would reconnect power they required that the city inspectors sign off on the work. By 8PM we were back in business and Ecotality's contractor came out the following day to install a dedicated 40 amp 220 circuit with conduit to the opposite side of the garage where I park the Leaf. The Blink unit just plugs into the 220 volt receptacle much like an electric dryer.

I've set up a charging schedule using the Leaf's timer so that charging does not start until midnight on week days and until 9PM on weekends to obtain the baseline rate of $ 0.05995 (6 cents) per kwh. I now expect my monthly Leaf charging to cost less than $20 /mo.

As half of the electrical work I paid for is eligible for a tax credit I expect the switch to E-9B to pay for itself within a year. Luckily I was not required to do any trenching for a PG&E service upgrade as that can get pricey. I hope this helps anyone who is trying to figure out the best way to go forward!

Black SL Leaf with fast charger installed.
Motorola Atrix Android phone has no problem accessing carwings and using PowerAmp to stream mp3s directly to the Leaf as soon as the car is powered on.

EVDRIVER

Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 pm

I was in your tier with PG&E until I installed solar and now I have no bill even with LEAF charging on one E6 meter. I use my Blink most of the time and my modified Nissan EVSE when I back into the garage or when my charge is critical and I don't want to rely on the Blink unit.

Return to “Utilities”