Flashing the AVR-CAN board

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished flashing gascant's SOCMeter with the PGM-00012 (This is actually a OLIMEX AVR-JTAG-USB programmer) and am just checking in to report success.

I used avrdude version 5.4-arduino, but just about any version of avrdude will support this unit.

The "-c" option was jtag1
The baud rate was left as the default

The one extra step with this unit -
This programmer does not provide power to the target (it is optically isolated) and you must provide power to the AVR-CAN board. Today we made use of power from the car. In the future I hope to supply power via the on-board power connector.

Carl

Good Work! :)

I bought an AC Adapter (Compact Power Adapter CA-590) for Canon AV equipment (a Camera ?) with 8.4 volt DC, 0.6 amp, probably-regulated output for about $10 ... and added a 2-pin (0.1" spacing) polarized plug-on connector to power the AVR-CAN board while flashing with a programmer that does NOT power the "target" board.

I will try and find helpful links later when I have cut-n-paste available. :D

squirrelmeat said:
Just finished flashing gascant's SOCMeter with the PGM-00012 (This is actually a OLIMEX AVR-JTAG-USB programmer) and am just checking in to report success.
Carl
Yes, I can vouch for this working well--and once we plugged in the unit, it took less than a minute (substantially less, I think) to do the update. And the meter itself is now a source of great curiosity. I still think I saw it give 40 kW of regen coming down a hill with brakes applied.

Now I just have to put together the kit to allow trip recording.....

BTW Carl has volunteered to do this at future SF BayLEAFs meetings for those who purchase.

I love it when the plot thickens,
and the pieces begin to fall in place.

Great work, both of you.

The USB-to-RS232 Adapters (that one can easily find by using Google or eBay) vary from about $5 to $40, but the price is NOT a good indicator for the product's abilities or compatibility with different RS232 devices.

Some (many?) RS232-driven Programmers are very fussy about some (unknown) aspect of the RS232 communication, and a USB-to-RS232 Adapter that works fine for Logging might not work reliably with a programmer.

I have 2 Adapters (long forgotten source) that work well with my RS232 Programmer, but have another dozen (2 or 3 sources) that do not. I think they all will work with logging, but I have not yet personally tried them enough to suggest getting them. However, another person is using some that were under $5 each.

I went to Fry's on Sunday to get the parts (kit) for doing trip recording, only to find that they were out of USB-to-RS232 adapters. So I stopped at Radio Shack on the way home and they had only one model (Gigaware) costing $40 !! That was more than what I wanted to spend (by a lot) but I figured I'd save time by getting it. With coaching from Gary, it was thought that it might work. So, I installed the driver first, then plugged in the meter to the adapter, and then the cable into the USB port. It installed on my laptop as COM 3. From there, it was launching CAN-Do and recording per instructions.

Oops, should probably post this is the Trip recording thread :lol:

We have a "flasher" for:
1. the SoCal Cluster, and
2. the SF Bay Area Cluster.

How about someone for:
1. the San Diego area?
2. the Seattle area?
3. Norway?

Yes, we have an SOC-Meter Kit successfully built in Norway. :)
We are Branching out! :D :D

Thanks, everybody for helping!
Cheers, Gary

--------- mini USB AVR-JTAG Programmer ----------
This seems to be a good (maybe even a "better") "flasher" solution.
Usually available on eBay, mostly from Hong Kong or China.

I bought from this seller "seller25812", and just today got and tested this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260853683073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... bid $5 (plus $10 S&H)
or, a Buy-it-Now at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250597883758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .. for $17 (free S&H)

However, there appears to be one source in the USA, in CA. They are a bit more expensive (maybe $26 instead of $17), but their delivery is usually a lot quicker. I also bought one from them.

This programmer attaches directly to a USB port, and it POWERS the board being programmed. There do not seem to be a way to keep it from powering the target board.

There is a jumper, but I am not due what it does.

Back