LEAF SOC gauge with Nokia 6610 LCD display

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
The "D" connector acts as a heat sink for the 5.1v, 1-watt zener diode.
So, I expect it to get warm, but not hot.
Ok, so it does get warm for you too ?

Was thinking about getting a bigger diode - at 200mA, it is already 1W. May be a 2W or even a 5W diode would be safe.

By the way, is this just a mockup with test data for the display or do you actually have it operational with Gary's hardware? If the latter, what is necessary code-wise to make it fully functional?

evnow said:
leaf-can%252520002%252520%252528640x576%252529.jpg

Forgot to post this.

This LCD is excellent in day light. Forget day light - even when bright Sunlight falls directly on the LCD - I can still read it. Afterall this is the LCD Nokia used in their mobile phones.

mogur said:
This, to me, is the nearly perfect display! I'd love to have that on my SOC meter!
If you want to try it out - get the LCD & I'll send you the hex. You would need the programming hardware ...

Or you could wait for the LCD with MicroSD that Gary is working on.

And the price of it is reasonable, considering what it brings to the party. Since it is for a phone, I assume the power draw is also minimal.

It might be worth considering making this (or the new card version Gary is working on, IF the display is as nice as the Nokia) the new standard for the meter.

evnow said:
Forgot to post this.

This LCD is excellent in day light. Forget day light - even when bright Sunlight falls directly on the LCD - I can still read it. Afterall this is the LCD Nokia used in their mobile phones.

mogur said:
This, to me, is the nearly perfect display! I'd love to have that on my SOC meter!
evnow said:
Wow. This is shaping up really nice. I want one, but it's too complex of a build for me (don't have the tools). Anyone wanna sell me one? I know there's been talk of selling a finished product. :D

On a side note, you might change the estimates to read something like this since m could be meters, and there's no indication what the 5.5 is. Plus the miles/kWh reading is more akin to the miles reading so I think they should go together.
Code:
SOC 82.2% (231)

Estimated Range
mph = mi / mpk
40 = 94 / 5.5
50 = 78 / 4.6
60 = 66 / 3.9
70 = 55 / 3.2
* better yet would be to use the squiggly "approximately equals" sign if that font supports it...

GeekEV said:
Wow. This is shaping up really nice. I want one, but it's too complex of a build for me (don't have the tools). Anyone wanna sell me one? I know there's been talk of selling a finished product. :D
If I can put this together, so can you ! One of the local leafers might be able to help you with the soldering too ...

Code:
SOC 82.2% (231)

Estimated Range
mph = mi / mpk
40 = 94 / 5.5
50 = 78 / 4.6
60 = 66 / 3.9
70 = 55 / 3.2
* better yet would be to use the squiggly "approximately equals" sign if that font supports it...
Interesting - I was trying to keep the miles first - so that it would be more visible/easily readable instead of putting the range in the middle. I can try it out and see how it looks.

TonyWilliams said:
I'd be happy some folks at my house in north/central San Diego, near Poway, for a solder session.

I can charge two LEAF's at once, also !!
That sounds like fun - could make it a mini-meet!

evnow said:
Interesting - I was trying to keep the miles first - so that it would be more visible/easily readable instead of putting the range in the middle. I can try it out and see how it looks.
I could see that. Maybe flip flop the two sides of the equals sign. I was thinking in my head "if you go this fast, you'll get this range", so it made more sense to me this way. But everyone has their own thoughts of course. :)

Back