Opening the charger port could be easier

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my brief couple days with the Hertz rental LEAF, I had no problem opening the charge door; it seemed no different than pulling the little release catch for the gas door when I had a Camry. I never pulled the hood release by mistake. The one suggestion I would offer is for Nissan to place some sort of light under the charge door itself; when plugging in after dark I had to do it by "feel", which was a little awkward. Maybe the light could be on a timer so it would go off after a minute or so, much like automatic headlights in many modern cars.

I really don't like the fact that I have to unlock the car to open the charge port. I like
the idea of the light as well. I'm thinking that will be my first mod. - add the light
and a door lock actuator, with a rolling code remote. I think I can do it for under
$50 in parts. The only downside is that I will have two fobs for the car, but I may
find things to use the other two channels for. ;)

a light would help, but it is way doable without it.
a fob on the remote would be cool, too.
but basically, the Leaf is perfectly set up to pull in, stop and turn off the car, gather your stuff, open the door and pull the charge release on your way out. stop, plug in ... make a cocktail, get in the hammock, check the tomato plants, whatever.

I find that arrival process so simple and straightforward; the button is in a perfect place. you never use it by accident and it so obviously IT when you reach down and pull it. last knob on the bottom left and straight on till morning.

I park outside, so you'd think I would really wish for a light, but it's no problem at all. I have the headlights set so they stay on long enough for me to see what I'm doing. And in fact there are several times that I've gone out later to plug in, and I still have no problem. After a few weeks your hand seems to know automatically where to put the connector, and it slides right in.

As for unlocking the charge door, I keep track of the numbers every time I charge, so my procedure is:
  1. Stop in the driveway and look at the bars. If more than six, power down, get out, close the door, and push the lock button. I'm done.
  2. Otherwise, hit the park button then the overhead light.
  3. Pull my tiny notebook from the slot in the left armrest and record the numbers. Put it away.
  4. Hold the top right and bottom left buttons in the group of four until m/kWh and trip mileage resets.
  5. Drop my hand and pop the charge door release.
  6. Reach up with my other hand to turn off the overhead light, then down to power off.
  7. Get out, close the door, and push the lock button.
  8. Open the charge door and release the charge dock cover.
  9. Go grab the cable and connector, release the plastic cover and plug it in.
  10. Drop the charge door down on the connector and wait for the three blue lights to flash.

I know, it sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really just a habit. The key for me is that step 5 naturally and immediately follows step 4. I'm not sure how the process could be simplified other than automatically recording of the numbers. Well, I guess popping the charge door could cause it to open wide and release the charge dock cover, but that's no big deal. What would be a big deal for me would be rummaging in my pocket to find the fob, pulling it out, and squinting to see which button I needed to push.

Ray

highcountryrider said:
I really don't like the fact that I have to unlock the car to open the charge port. I like
the idea of the light as well. I'm thinking that will be my first mod. - add the light
and a door lock actuator, with a rolling code remote. I think I can do it for under
$50 in parts. The only downside is that I will have two fobs for the car, but I may
find things to use the other two channels for. ;)
Why go through so much trouble? Just add a simple cord up front to manually release the charge door. It's already been done by many people. See this thread.

I think Nissan should have taken tips from Microsoft operating systems - have multiple locations for the same function. I like the current location, however, on occaisian, I might want to right-click the drive selector to open the port. :lol: :lol:

Volusiano said:
<snip>Why go through so much trouble? Just add a simple cord up front to manually release the charge door. It's already been done by many people. See this thread.

I'd rather that it couldn't be opened without a "key". Some a**hole with an attitude about electric
cars could do damage to the port.

saywatt said:
I think Nissan should have taken tips from Microsoft operating systems[...]I might want to right-click the drive selector to open the port. :lol: :lol:

Heaven forbid! "LEAF has attempted to execute an illegal instruction and will be shut down." :eek:

Yanquetino said:
I am only guessing at this, but perhaps Nissan wanted to place the latch to open the charge lid where a driver wouldn't release it by accident with an errant finger, coatsleeve, purse strap, etc. I would imagine that, if the hatch opened while driving at freeway speeds, the sudden force of the wind could damage or break it completely off --just like could happen with a car's hood. Come to think of it, I can't remember if the charge lid has a secondary "safety" latch under the lip like a hood. I hope so, because such accidents do happen, even when the primary latch is placed well out of the way.
I know I'm replying to an old comment, but it reminds me of something that happened last month. Pulling into my driveway, I had popped the charge port latch in preparation for an opportunity charge. Then I remembered I had another errand to run. So I got back in the car and started off. The charge port door was unlocked but not open. A few minutes later, cruising down the highway, the charge port door flies open all the way! So I stop at the side of the road and press it closed, then continue on my way.

Ideally, the charge port door would unlock itself immediately after stopping and turning off the car, and then would lock itself after about 5 minutes. If the car is turned on, it would lock itself too. Press on the door to open it, press to close.

johnr said:
Yanquetino said:
I am only guessing at this, but perhaps Nissan wanted to place the latch to open the charge lid where a driver wouldn't release it by accident with an errant finger, coatsleeve, purse strap, etc. I would imagine that, if the hatch opened while driving at freeway speeds, the sudden force of the wind could damage or break it completely off --just like could happen with a car's hood. Come to think of it, I can't remember if the charge lid has a secondary "safety" latch under the lip like a hood. I hope so, because such accidents do happen, even when the primary latch is placed well out of the way.
I know I'm replying to an old comment, but it reminds me of something that happened last month. Pulling into my driveway, I had popped the charge port latch in preparation for an opportunity charge. Then I remembered I had another errand to run. So I got back in the car and started off. The charge port door was unlocked but not open. A few minutes later, cruising down the highway, the charge port door flies open all the way! So I stop at the side of the road and press it closed, then continue on my way.

Ideally, the charge port door would unlock itself immediately after stopping and turning off the car, and then would lock itself after about 5 minutes. If the car is turned on, it would lock itself too. Press on the door to open it, press to close.

But that would make sense, Nissan seems to do quite a bit of research on how to do things stupidly in this car. A button on the dash would have been even better, at least don't put the handle1/8" away from the hood release. An electronic parking brake but a low-positioned manual charge door release. :roll:

1. I just feel for the rounded "notch" in the end of the lever that opens the Charge-Hatch.

2. I want the Charge-Hatch to remain locked at all times,
unless I unlock it with a pull of the lever.

3. Having the Hatch unlock whenever the car is turned OFF is a VERY BAD "feature".

In six months, and opening the charge door virtually every time I get home, I have never had a problem finding the release in the blind OR accidentally opening the hood by mistake. They are both large levers, it is hard to mistake them or mix them up... I have no problem with the current scheme.

EVDRIVER said:
But that would make sense, Nissan seems to do quite a bit of research on how to do things stupidly in this car. A button on the dash would have been even better, at least don't put the handle1/8" away from the hood release. An electronic parking brake but a low-positioned manual charge door release. :roll:

TomT said:
In six months, and opening the charge door virtually every time I get home, I have never had a problem finding the release in the blind OR accidentally opening the hood by mistake. They are both large levers, it is hard to mistake them or mix them up... I have no problem with the current scheme.

EVDRIVER said:

I don't have an issue but it's a bad design because some people do have an issue with it. Regardless there should be a more convenient location for a button and if you forget you need to go to the car to open it, it should release with a push on the hatch, etc when a key fob is near. It's a clunky design for an EV as that is a high use item. I intend to automate mine with no button so I never need to pull the release manually.

My VLVOXC70 has juss the device that would solve the problem of "lever or button". There is a button on the lower left side of the dash to electrically release the fuel door. The button looks like a close fit to unused ports on the center console. Not the ideal loaction, but------

Looking at the portion in the fuel port; it may be a rather easy conversion, wait--nothing is easy with VOLVO--but it is spot on as to an alternative to the lever.

No I cant post a picture as I am rather a novice on the server issue on this fourm.

highcountryrider said:
Volusiano said:
<snip>Why go through so much trouble? Just add a simple cord up front to manually release the charge door. It's already been done by many people. See this thread.

I'd rather that it couldn't be opened without a "key". Some a**hole with an attitude about electric
cars could do damage to the port.
Only people who are savvy with the Leaf enough would know if there's a manual release hack very inconspicuously located at an out of the way place. Besides, what can they do to damage the ports? Stick wires into the holes to short things out? Where would they have wires handy all of a sudden unplanned in the first place? And who would be stupid enough to stick wires in the port not knowing whether they may get electrocuted or not?

If they truly have an attitude about electric cars, they simply have to walk by and key scratch the car on the doors and nobody would even notice what they do. Why fumble around looking for an external charge door latch release to just mess around with the ports and be really noticeable by other people nearby that you're trying to vandalize something?

BLUEH20 said:
Looking at the portion in the fuel port; it may be a rather easy conversion, wait--nothing is easy with VOLVO--but it is spot on as to an alternative to the lever.

No I cant post a picture as I am rather a novice on the server issue on this fourm.

Picture not needed. The LEAF uses a simple mechanical release mechanism, and what you're suggesting is electronic. Where to put the button is the smallest consideration!!!

I would like to see a basic dash warning whenever the car is powered and in gear, and the charger door is open.

Back