CAN-Do: a CAN-message Analysis Tool

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If somebody creates new Recipe items, or
creates a useful Log-file:

zip it and email the ".zip" file to me, and I can:
Include the Recipe items
Host your Log-File, if you wish.

garygid said:
Had the car L2-charged overnight (in early to late morning), perhaps to 100%?

If so, warming internally to 80ºF is not impossible.

Or, maybe charger or coolant temperature?

I will look at D4 of 50A :D

The car had finished charging to 80% several hours before, so I think everything was already cold, but yes, it's still a possibility.

some numbers of interest (probably not temperature, but interesting numbers):

D4 of 5BF rises while charging, then drops to zero when the charge is complete. it's also zero while not charging.

the graph of the bottom 3 bits of D1 and all 8 bits of D2 (recipe 1,7,8 + 2,ff,0) is interesting... it drops in a stepped fashion during charging, then all bits set when not charging.

I am not really sure what I am doing yet, but I tried using this software, and noticed some formatting issues on the main page.
See below:
cando1.jpg

Maybe you need to set a specific font size or something so that it fits on my desktop? (See also in the CAN Select rectangle.)

I was attempting to see if I could hunt for CAN messages related to the charge pilot PWM signal, but I am a bit lost on how to do that.
I was able to do IO_CONTROL->BROWSE_BIN->CHG_LO_BAT.evc
Then read the bin log.
Then I can click on individual entries, see the data and graph it (in some cases), but not sure what to do next?
Is there any place where the text name of a message type shows up in the data? Or is it pure guesswork based on the values?

lincomatic said:
Also, I was looking into D4 of 50A as a candidate for temperature in C, but it looks too high ... my car was cold this morning, and it was 62F outside, but the temp was translating to about 82F.
I haven't noticed the bars on the battery temperature gauge corresponding very well with current temperature, because the battery tends to respond slowly to changes in outside temperature. Thus it takes a while to go from 5 to 6 bars for me, but once at 6 bars it may stay there for 24 hours after car gets to a cooler temperature (100 degrees in the valley to 70 degrees in parking garage). The battery is supposed to be insulated to keep it from getting to a high temperature in a hot climate. That would make it take a while to cool down also. So it may be that 82 degrees is reasonable if the car was out in high temperatures all day.

I use that screen to look at raw data. The left 3 digits before the colon are the message ID's. Click on one, and you can view the data from the sequential messages of that ID in the log.

The message filters screen is great for finding trends. You can cook up a recipe on some bits and then plot it. I'll let Gary explain the gory details.

If you want to try to find parameters related to charging, look for data values which look zeroed out or full of 1's in evsplit.evc, but have other numbers in them in ChgLoBatt.evc.

On Font sizes:

I see I need to leave a bit more space after the Radio Buttons.
I will in 1.5.2

They are all specified, but setting a system to "larger than normal text size" can override and give this effect.

It is unlikely that I have sizes set to "smaller than normal", and they all fit OK on Vista here.

What OS are you using?

garygid said:
Sort of the 69 to 89 range during a 6-hour L2 16A charge to 100% (the on-line "charging" Log).
Where did those numbers (69-89) come from? What do you mean by on-line charging log? I'm not following here.

I have on-line at
http://www.wwwsite.com/puzzles/cando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. the CAN-Do program
2. a 6-hour log of EV-CAN messages during charging to 100%
3. another short triple-log set, made while driving a short way
4. a file of "Recipe" items, used to describe the data, and its scaling, mostly used for easy graphing.

Download these three into the same folder and try to run CAN-Do (that I wrote in VB6 for Windows).

I got the (roughly) 69 to 89 (raw) numbers from the "55A" messages, graphing the D2, D3, or D6 data (over to 6-hour time span of the log).

garygid said:
On Font sizes:

I see I need to leave a bit more space after the Radio Buttons.
I will in 1.5.2

They are all specified, but setting a system to "larger than normal text size" can override and give this effect.

It is unlikely that I have sizes set to "smaller than normal", and they all fit OK on Vista here.

What OS are you using?
I (not the OP) am using Win XP and getting the same problem with text overlapping on the radio buttons. Screen res is 1152 X 864. Font size is Normal. Text Line Delimiter and CAN Select both need more space to look normal on my screen.

The first post of this thread now includes the outstanding Problems
or Bugs that have been reported with the latest version of the CAN-Do program.

Thanks to those who contribute to improving this program.

OK, Gary here is the start of a rudimentary user manual you can put in the first post of this thread:

Revised 9/19/11

1) Download the latest version of the program, the latest recipe file (varParmList), and at least one log file (.ecv) from Gary's site and put them in the same directory
2) Start the program by double clicking the .exe file
3) Load a log file as follows:
Click on IO Control button
Click the Browse Bin button on right middle of IO Control Dialog box
Browse to select the log file you downloaded and double click on it
Click the Read Bin Log button on the left middle of the IO Control Dialog box
Note: if you check the Run Dashboard checkbox before clicking the Read Bin Log button, the Dash will show the values quickly changing during the logged run! Fun to watch, and interesting. You can click on the 2X Faster and 2X Slower buttons on the Dashboard to change the speed of the run. Don't change the number in the edit box between them manually--it doesn't do anything--only use the Faster and Slower buttons
4) Click on See Filters button (located on both the main program window and the IO Control Dialog box)
5) Click on All Messages button in lower right of Filter Messages and Graph Functions window
6) Click Get Msg IDs button in the same window as step #5
7) Click one of the listed Message IDs in the list box in the upper left side of same window
8) Look at the range of data for each byte.
9) Select a recipe and Graph the Function to get ideas.

I know this comes with a lot of risks, but is the AVR CAN capable of *sourcing* messages to the can bus? I noticed in the service manual that the charger has start/stop commands over the canbus. Maybe we could design a better charging timer...

TickTock said:
I know this comes with a lot of risks, but is the AVR CAN capable of *sourcing* messages to the can bus? I noticed in the service manual that the charger has start/stop commands over the canbus. Maybe we could design a better charging timer...

Yes, with the proper firmware and software modifications, it's possible to use the AVR CAN to inject messages into the CAN bus.
I don't think it'll help with the charging timer, though.. when the car is sleeping, waiting for the timer to fire, the CAN bus is off.

1. Yes, the AVR-CAN board can be used to send CAN messages.

2. There is a safety "interlock" in the AVR-CAN board wiring that would need to be "jumpered" to allow (proper) firmware to send messages.

3. Are we sure the EV-CAN bus is still OFF after the charging "nozzle" has been plugged in?
(I have not yet checked.)

4. The EV-CAN bus is certainly active during charging.

5. A "Stop Charging" message (if we knew it) could give us a User-Settable Charge-To-SOC Stop-Point, instead of just the 80% and 100% that we have now.

7. However, always "aborting" charging this way MIGHT not allow battery equalization to occur properly.

I also see a "Next start time" command that could do it. Since the Canbus comes up for charging, we could potentially send a new starttime at that point.

Back