Window Tinting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEG said:
Devin said:
Anyone have any photos of their Leaf with a fairly dark tint on the rear/back windows only and no tinting on the fronts?

30% rear hatch, rear windows, and winglet windows next to the mirrors.
70% on the front/side windows.
Windshield untouched.
tinted.jpg
Thanks! Just what I was looking for!

Hey All:

I just got my Leaf tinted this week and would strongly recommend the shop I used -- the owner (Alan) was a joy to deal with, and the quality of the work looks fantastic.

In researching tints, I decided Formula One was a good brand. They have a regular died-film basic version, or a high end ceramic version, both with lifetime warranty. Their site directed me to this shop in the east bay:

SOUND SOURCE
2221 INTERNATIONAL BLVD
OAKLAND, CA 94606

I double checked them on Yelp, and the reviews were excellent:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sound-source-usa-oakland

What people said in the reviews was true: Alan couldn't be nicer. Late 30's, hard working entrepreneur with a great way of working with the customer. If you want to drop off your car, he'll give you a ride to Bart (5 minutes) if that's helpful.

I did dark (30?) on the back, and took my chances with 50% on the front. I did the higher end ceramic tint, which I think was $280 for the back and maybe $120 to add the front. if you just wanted to do UV/heat shield (clear, or close) to the front, it was ~$90 instead. I'm sure if you just wanted standard tint it would be much cheaper.

I had compared to Tint on Wheels, which would have been great as they're well reviewed and come to your house:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tint-on-wheels-berkeley#query:tint

But the tint material they use seems to be a real notch down in quality.

I live in south bay area. Is $270 a good price for tint for the four doors and back?

For basic (dyed) tint I think it's fine. You can spend more if you care about higher quality tint.

jhannah said:
Hey All:

I just got my Leaf tinted this week and would strongly recommend the shop I used -- the owner (Alan) was a joy to deal with, and the quality of the work looks fantastic.

In researching tints, I decided Formula One was a good brand. They have a regular died-film basic version, or a high end ceramic version, both with lifetime warranty. Their site directed me to this shop in the east bay:

SOUND SOURCE
2221 INTERNATIONAL BLVD
OAKLAND, CA 94606

For those of us in the South Bay do you know if Sound Source has a way to charge? It'd be nice to drive up there to do the work and get enough charge to make it safely back to way-south SJ (almost Morgan Hill) afterwards. :) I'd love to throw my biz to a Leaf-Club-recommended dealer like this but I'd need a way to get up there and back safely with the car.

Nope, it is a being cheap thing... Many cars in the U.S. come with factory tint. Our Acura, for example, has a heavy tint in the rear and hatch windows, and a tint band across the top of the windshield.

mwalsh said:
I'm just now reminded that Euro cars had factory tint. Not all that dark, but still.....kinda bugs me that we're having to pay for ours. Must be a DOT thing.

Except that tint applied IN the glass will always be of much higher quality and more durable. It costs very little to add it at the OEM level...

IBELEAF said:
Euro Leaf and cars in general are also a lot more $$$, I would rather just pay $250 for a tint job.

mdh said:
I live in south bay area. Is $270 a good price for tint for the four doors and back?

$270 is a super deal. But, it's all about which brand of film you use.

I went to Jeff at Auto Image in Belmont. He specializes in 3M Crystalline applications.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-image-window-tinting-belmont-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did 3M Crystalline 50 allround and 3M Crystalline 70 on the windshield for $550. I read and learnt that the 3M film was more expensive and harder to apply than the other brands. I shopped around and Jeff's quote was the most honest and fair priced. The were other places which quoted me ridiculous prices.

Anyways, my Leaf stays very cool and the AC does not work hard at all. This film does an excellent job in blocking out IR heat from the sun. I don't feel the burning sensation at all whilst in the sun.

The only thing I don't know is how it compares to ceramic film in heat retention during winter, when the opposite happens, i.e. you want to keep the heat inside the car.

TomT said:
Nope, it is a being cheap thing... Many cars in the U.S. come with factory tint. Our Acura, for example, has a heavy tint in the rear and hatch windows, and a tint band across the top of the windshield.

mwalsh said:
I'm just now reminded that Euro cars had factory tint. Not all that dark, but still.....kinda bugs me that we're having to pay for ours. Must be a DOT thing.
It's not being cheap, there is some sort of outdated federal regulation that prevents cars from having darkened windows. Trucks, SUVs, Vans (incl minivans) have different regulations. Some of the hatchbacks you see out there that you would think are cars are actually classified as multi-purpose vehicles which allows them to have darkened windows.

That being the case, how come my BMW 4 door sedan also came from the factory with it on the three rear windows?

DTB said:
It's not being cheap, there is some sort of outdated federal regulation that prevents cars from having darkened windows. Trucks, SUVs, Vans (incl minivans) have different regulations. Some of the hatchbacks you see out there that you would think are cars are actually classified as multi-purpose vehicles which allows them to have darkened windows.

kmp647 said:
Does anyone have pictures of a silver Leaf with tinted windows? :)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1051&p=123241#p123241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TNleaf said:

Same side, different angle. (and yes someone is sitting in the passenger seat... can barely see them at this angle)

I think it looks WAY better than without the tint, and with the TSER (total solar energy rejection) rating of 53% and 56%, I'll save energy by not having to run the AC as much.

35 front
18 back

Suntek CXP
Cost me just over $220 for the whole thing. I love it.

Thank you!

Your car looks great,

I will be going for the same type look

First car I have ever tinted

Have to agree Nissan should include this at least in the SL pack

TomT said:
That being the case, how come my BMW 4 door sedan also came from the factory with it on the three rear windows?

DTB said:

Which BMW is this? You sure it wasn't dealer installed? I see plenty with no tint and I don't see any mention of tint on any cars' options lists. Some cars have glass that filters light, such as the blue-ish glass Mercedes uses but that doesn’t affect visibility like smoking or tinting does. I find it hard to believe that virtually all SUVs come with tinted windows yet no (or virtually no) cars have it just because the manufacturers are being cheap. Example is Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger never offered tinted windows, but the Magnum did – it was classified as an SUV. Why does Mercedes specifically mention privacy glass as a standard feature on their SUVs but doesn't mention it (even as an option) it on any of their cars?

TomT said:

The tint is legal on cars but only to the level determined by each individual state. As it would be impractical to tint the windows as per each state's limits, or use the minimum tint allowed within the 50 states and DC, cars come with no tint, or maybe 70% as it is the case in some luxury brand models.

SUV's, trucks and the lot, are not regulated in that matter, therefore the manufacturer can use any tint they think suits their design best.

It is possible that your BMW had come with tint, but it would have made it illegal to sell if it had come with a tint darker than what your state allows.

I picked it up at the factory in Munich so I know it was not dealer installed, Plus, it is the type of OEM tint that is internal in the glass. Perhaps it was because I purchased it on the European Delivery Plan even though it was a U.S. Spec car, built on the U.S. line, and supposedly no different from what the U.S. dealers order and receive...

DTB said:
TomT said:

DTB said:

Which BMW is this? You sure it wasn't dealer installed? I see plenty with no tint and I don't see any mention of tint on any cars' options lists. Some cars have glass that filters light, such as the blue-ish glass Mercedes uses but that doesn’t affect visibility like smoking or tinting does. I find it hard to believe that virtually all SUVs come with tinted windows yet no (or virtually no) cars have it just because the manufacturers are being cheap. Example is Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger never offered tinted windows, but the Magnum did – it was classified as an SUV. Why does Mercedes specifically mention privacy glass as a standard feature on their SUVs but doesn't mention it (even as an option) it on any of their cars?

kmp647 said:
Thank you!

Your car looks great,

I will be going for the same type look

First car I have ever tinted

Have to agree Nissan should include this at least in the SL pack

You may want to test drive a car with dark tint in the night to determine if you can cope with the reduced vis. I previously had 35 rears in my other vehicle and I hated it for night driving.

Again, it's a personal thing, and you should try driving one at night before you do it. Remember that the Leaf already has a smaller rear window and the higher C-pillar, imho, does not help.

Back