SoCal Branch LEAF-Gathering Year 2 - #24c: 25 Aug 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminder: LEAF-Gathering in 2 days (Sat, 10 Sep)

1. Bring your recent Electricity Bills, and maybe a few copies for interested folks.

2. My SOC-Meter, with a functioning Logging Port, will be with me to show and demo.

Kataphn said:
I'll see you guys at Cerritos. Feels like it has been awhile! Look forward to seeing you. Suggestion for discussion: Oct. 16 plug in parade event (who's going?). :)

Kat

If anyone from parts far away are going to the parade, my EVSE is all yours that day. I'm about 3 miles from the beach in Santa Monica.

garygid said:
1. Use a paint touch-up kit for small scratches?
2. We do not yet know how the LEAF's "SOC" is derived.
3. Several people have reported noticing lower "Bar" (or "SOC") values after charging to 80% (or even 100%).

Some seem to have been due to "mistakes" in the charging.

One possibility is that the battery has finally gotten enough out-of-balance that there is significant after-charging balancing going on.

Correlation to battery pack temperature seems inconclusive.

Actual Pack Aging, and real Capacity Loss MIGHT be a factor, but most have only reported "bars" and not the more definitive "SOC-Meter" values.

In the next version of the SOC-Meter firmware, I will try to include the "Capacity" number (similar to the LEAFs "SOC" number).

My morning numbers after a 100% charge last night:
bars: 12
SOC # 257
SOC % 91.4
miles to date: 4,464
Leaf age: about 5.5 months.

surprising and disappointing.

Boomer23 said:
My morning numbers after a 100% charge last night:
bars: 12
SOC # 257
SOC % 91.4
miles to date: 4,464
Leaf age: about 5.5 months.

surprising and disappointing.

Finally! Welcome to my world. :D ;) But know those numbers will bounce around some (well, actually, a lot) - best I've done is 99.6/280, worst I've done was around 92% (and I didn't check what the raw number was).

Clearly, something is going on.
We just do not know what is causing enexpected reading at "100%".
It is unlikely that it is anything in the SOC-Meter itself.

In spite of the Socal Power Outage, we will meet at HTB in Cerritos as planned.
Cheers, Gary

Kataphn said:
I'll see you guys at Cerritos. Feels like it has been awhile! Look forward to seeing you. Suggestion for discussion: Oct. 16 plug in parade event (who's going?). :)

Kat
I still hope to be there. Being in an all-EV parade sounds like fun. Your earlier suggestion to charge at Downtown Nissan looks good to me.

garygid said:
In spite of the Socal Power Outage, we will meet at HTB in Cerritos as planned.
Cheers, Gary
Did some of you more southern residents have to post by candlelight ? Were phones (cell & line line) working ? Internet ? Is power back on this AM ? It is scary how fragile the grid seems to be.

I plan on making it to the meeting tomorrow.

Gary is it possible to get a flash update for the SOC meter after the meeting?

Thanks!

Gordon

I'd like to invite our Orange County LEAF drivers to San Diego's Balboa Park on Saturday, Oct 1, 2011, for a meeting and chat about the future of L3 charging in our area. Ten L2 chargers will hopefully be available for your return.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=130923#p130923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garygid said:
Very good group of about 2 dozen.
I was so busy that I "forgot" to eat after my 8:10 omelet!
Cool! How many times did you flash?
I lent my SOC meter to one of our members on Saturday--he's probably having so much fun with it that he's avoiding me :lol:

TonyWilliams said:
I'd like to invite our Orange County LEAF drivers to San Diego's Balboa Park on Saturday, Oct 1, 2011, for a meeting and chat about the future of L3 charging in our area. Ten L2 chargers will hopefully be available for your return.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=130923#p130923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony, are we offered priority among the attendees at the L2 EVSEs over more local members? I'm lookin' at 86 miles each way, so even with a 6 hour charge, I'm on fumes to get back.

Boomer23 said:
Tony, are we offered priority among the attendees at the L2 EVSEs over more local members? I'm lookin' at 86 miles each way, so even with a 6 hour charge, I'm on fumes to get back.

I will put your name on a charger!!! The park is open 24 hours, so you could arrive very early, and be on the charger the whole time. Most locals don't need a charger, but certainly those from Oceanside (38 miles northwest), Fallbrook (55 miles north) and Alpine (31 miles east) certainly might need a charge.

The Mexican border is only 16 miles away, so nobody from the south will need a charge.

86 miles is strong, and remember that you'll be slightly uphill going back. 50-55mph max! I'll bring my tow strap if you come up a mile or two short.

Back