LEAF Re-Boot, Pros and Cons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

CAUTION: Only for those sufficiently experienced to do this SAFELY.

A full Reboot of the LEAF is presently possible:

1. With the LEAF turned completely OFF, disconnect the 12v Battery, wait about five minutes, and reconnect. Wait another minute and turn the LEAF ON.

Note: It is easiest and SAFEST to disconnect the Negative (black, NOT red) side of the 12v battery. Do not try to disconnect the clamp from the battery post itself. Instead, a 13mm wrench can be used to remove one nut that connects the wires to the clamping device.
Use appropriate CAUTION.

After the reboot, some things are "lost" (the Cons), and some "stuck" conditions are "fixed" (the Pros), ... until they happen again.

NOTE: For many problems, it is BEST to let a helpful dealer look for Error Codes with their "Consult III+" machine, instead of re-booting the car, which might clear the codes but not fix the indicated/associated problem.

----
Pro:
1. Clears the error code that keeps the car from re-Starting, caused by the "A/C Problem". A temporary fix to a known problem to let you DRIVE to the dealer instead of a time-consuming "tow" (transport).

2. Clears the Carwings Telecom system to allow/force it to reconnect to the "cell phone" service that the car uses to communicate with Carwings. Apparently no other "fix" is presently available.

3. Other things ... "fixed"?

----
Cons:
1. The calibration of the driver's window Auto-Up and Auto-Down is (can be) lost. Re-Calibrate by opening all the way (manual mode), then close the window (all the way up) and continue to hold the UP button for an additional 3 seconds.

2. It appears that the Charging (and possibly Climate Control) TIMERs need to be reset by you.

3. LEAF Startup Sound selection goes to default selectiob.

4. The Clock in the Dash-Eyebrow needs to be reset.

5. Other "lost" stuff ... ?

--------
I will try to keep this first post current.

My leaf stopped being able to read data from my IPOD (touch - 4g) about a month ago or so.
It still played the audio out the speakers, but it was annoying, of course, because it worked well to start with.

Around the same time, my screen down position (the one covering the CD player) became about half an inch out from normal position. (it would go to normal and then come out 1/2 and inch). I had to push it back to normal position everytime. Again, annoying, but no big deal. I was going to ask the Dealer to look at it at 7000 miles. (soon)

Then, a few week ago, PGE started putting in a new transformer or something else because somebody got a new electric car (umm, that was me) and they turned the power off.

Car was dead the next morning (with charge), but would not turn on. (AC problem repro). So I disconnected the neg. charge, and waited 10 minutes and reconnected it.

Now: Car starts up fine!
And: IPOD menu is displayed fine.
And: Screen returns to correct down position.

So evidently, rebooting your leaf every once in a while might be necessary for things like USB devices as well and screen position. Just a heads up. Good leafing, everybody.

Disturbing that the electronics are so unstable, the thing has two batteries.. it should not be affected by a transformer down in the neighborhood.

garygid said:
2. Clears the Carwings Telecom system to allow/force it to reconnect to the "cell phone" service that the car uses to communicate with Carwings. Apparently no other "fix" is presently available.

To clear the TCU there is a much easier fix. Just remove the fuse F34 from the fuse compartment below the battery for 30 seconds:

img0469k.jpg

I have done that 2 times to solve the problem. According to the service manual F34 supplies power to the TCU so there is no lost data with this procedure.

Every Leaf should come with a wing-nut on the battery terminal! :lol:

Herm said:
Disturbing that the electronics are so unstable, the thing has two batteries.. it should not be affected by a transformer down in the neighborhood.

The Nav screen has several "tipped" positions, selectable by the user.

The button in the lower right corner of the screen's frame is used for two functions:
1. to select the "remembered" tilt position.
2. to "open/close" the screen to access the CD (and other stuff) behind the Nav screen.

A short press does one thing (I think the re-position), and a longer press does the other function (I think "Open").

vegastar said:
I have done that 2 times to solve the problem. According to the service manual F34 supplies power to the TCU so there is no lost data with this procedure.
I'd like to do this for just the ipod problem. Any idea which fuse to pull for that?

garygid said:
CAUTION: Only for those sufficiently experienced to do this SAFELY.

Cons:
1. The calibration of the driver's window Auto-Up and Auto-Down is (can be) lost. Re-Calibrate by opening all the way (manual mode), then close the window (all the way up) and continue to hold the UP button for an additional 3 seconds.

2. It appears that the Charging (and possibly Climate Control) TIMERs need to be reset by you.

3. LEAF Startup Sound selection goes to default selectiob.

4. The Clock in the Dash-Eyebrow needs to be reset.

5. Other "lost" stuff ... ?

--------
I will try to keep this first post current.

I had the TCU failure and did the 12V neg terminal reset and noticed I lost the trip meter values, the elasped time, average speed, and average mi/kwhr in addition to the other Dash values. I did not lose any of the center console values and the missing carwings data was transmitted. I also only waited about 20 seconds of power down but it was a couple of minutes before I got back it the car to turn it on.

I'm also pleased to see the F34 fuse pointed out. I knew F34 would reset the TCU but I could not identify it based on the vehicle information/labels. I did find some empty fuses for heated seats ect in the cockpit!!

TomT said:
Like this? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

Yes, as the first to suggest and prove the reboot theory back in the days of the A/C firmware problem, that was exactly the thread I was referring to.

GeekEV said:
TomT said:
Like this? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:

This forum is the greatest! I have had the "no service" problem since 2/2/12 and had almost resigned myself that I would have to take to dealer and educate it about the problem. Instead, I found this F34 fix, tried it, and it worked immediately. Thanks for the useful information.

Thanks guys, got a leaf from my local Nissan dealer who turns out can sell them but not do anything with them service wise so was facing a 50 mile round trip to have my battery unplugged just so the car can connect to Nissan. Fuse removal has done the trick and am now all carwinged up although not sure that's such a good idea the way I drive :D !!

Top tip !! Thanks

vegastar said:
garygid said:

To clear the TCU there is a much easier fix. Just remove the fuse F34 from the fuse compartment below the battery for 30 seconds:

img0469k.jpg

Thank you, vegastar! After several months and pretty much not caring about Carwings not working (no cell coverage at home) I found this quick and easy fix and we are back in business. It'll help with our busy shuffling of cars using the limited charging resources at work.

Thank you and again thanks to this forum for having helpful tips on all kinds of issues and problems!

Have you had the TCU fix (TSB) applied? If not, you should as your car is in the applicable VIN range.

Cinnabar said:
Thank you, vegastar! After several months and pretty much not caring about Carwings not working (no cell coverage at home) I found this quick and easy fix and we are back in business. It'll help with our busy shuffling of cars using the limited charging resources at work.

TomT said:
Have you had the TCU fix (TSB) applied? If not, you should as your car is in the applicable VIN range.

Cinnabar said:

Not yet, but I will do so soon.

Back